Stone crabs

jackdiamond

I just viewed a report on our local news here in SWFL; and apparently the first day's harvest of stone crabs was very efficacious. Therefore, I may pick up some at Publix tomorrow upon our return from Lt. Columbo's beach on Sanibel Island. I am certain that the restaurants on the east coast will have them tomorrow, if not today.

I just viewed a report on our local news here in SWFL; and apparently the first day's harvest of stone crabs was very efficacious. Therefore, I may pick up some at Publix tomorrow upon our return from Lt. Columbo's beach on Sanibel Island. I am certain that the restaurants on the east coast will have them tomorrow, if not today.

I forgot season opened yesterday.

Joe's Stone Crabs celebrated their 100th anniversary yesterday. Meh.

I had to google 'efficacious'. :o Glad to hear it's going well, we'll be there in almost a week. :D

The folks at the Publix store I visited advised they would have theirs on Friday. However, we are visiting Costco tomorrow; and, I will check them.

Headline on today's front page of Tampa Bay Times..."Stone crab haul bleak, prices high". :eek: Bummer. Have to throw the crab trap in and see what comes up!

Interesting, since the report here in S. Ft. Myers was very good. Perhaps the harvest is more efficacious farther south. Anyhoo, I hope so.

In the news:

Who complains about stone crabs not costing enough? Crabbers, who on Tuesday went on strike against Joe’s Stone Crab accusing the legendary South Beach restaurant of setting wholesale prices unfairly low.

Eight medium crabs typically make up a pound, so the starting price amounts to about 88 cents a claw. On opening night, Joe’s was selling seven claws for $28.95, or about $4.14 each.

Joe’s also has reserves of frozen claws to make up for shortfalls in fresh supply, he said.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/10/15/3691657/crabbers-to-joes-stone-crab-restaurant.html#storylink=cpy

In the news:

Who complains about stone crabs not costing enough? Crabbers, who on Tuesday went on strike against Joe’s Stone Crab accusing the legendary South Beach restaurant of setting wholesale prices unfairly low.

Eight medium crabs typically make up a pound, so the starting price amounts to about 88 cents a claw. On opening night, Joe’s was selling seven claws for $28.95, or about $4.14 each.

Joe’s also has reserves of frozen claws to make up for shortfalls in fresh supply, he said.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/10/15/3691657/crabbers-to-joes-stone-crab-restaurant.html#storylink=cpy

That sounds about right as far as restaurant food cost. After loss, shrinkage and the cost of mustard sauce and garnish their food cost is probably going to be about 28%. Most fast food restaurants such as McDonald's run a 25%-28% food cost. Chicken restaurants run about 23%-25% food cost.

It has been a long time since I represented folks in the restaurant business, but I do recall that, as a general rule, in the old days the labor cost, in most cases, particularly when unions were involved, exceeded the food cost. As a matter of fact, I recall labor costs being in the area of 30-35%. Of course, this would vary depending upon the area of the country, and the presence or absence of unions.

It has been a long time since I represented folks in the restaurant business, but I do recall that, as a general rule, in the old days the labor cost, in most cases, particularly when unions were involved, exceeded the food cost. As a matter of fact, I recall labor costs being in the area of 30-35%. Of course, this would vary depending upon the area of the country, and the presence or absence of unions.

I've spent half my life in the restaurant business and the only restaurants I knew of that ran 30%+ labor were the ones that were closed up and out of business.

Yikes! My husband currently has about 275 employees and his labor is 6%front of the house and 12.5% back of the house.

If restaurant union labor is 30-35%, that is why you hear people complain about a $25 hamburger and charging $30 for a $10 bottle of wine.

Yikes! My husband currently has about 275 employees and his labor is 6%front of the house and 12.5% back of the house.

If restaurant union labor is 30-35%, that is why you hear people complain about a $25 hamburger and charging $30 for a $10 bottle of wine.

By the way, my comments relate to the D.C. area; and, also to a time about thirty years ago. My clients complained when the labor cost excdeded the food cost. In the cases related by me, the most significant reason for the high labor cost was the presence of unions and the minimum wage. Also, in those days the average life expectancy of a restaurant in the D.C. area was 7-8 years.

Lastly, I trust that the remainder of this thread will only relate to the availability of stone crabs.

I'm not doubting you at all on the labor costs, unions tend to do that.

Now, what is the deal on the $1 stone crabs at Montys?

Archived