Sun Princess delay

I cannot believe this problem is still ongoing. I know our friends who were on the World Cruise on Sun Princess in 2011 (I think it was) experienced the same problem.

You have to wonder why they are not able to fix it permanently.

Glad Princess don't have aeroplanes....:rolleyes:

Just found this:

(12:54 p.m. EDT) -- Unexpected repairs delayed Sun Princess' departure from Sydney by some 10 hours after "technical difficulties" rendered the vessel unable to operate at full speed. The delay comes nearly two months after Princess Cruises abruptly canceled a two-week sailing between Singapore and Australia due to a malfunction in Sun Princess' main power switchboard.

The ship was set to depart Sydney yesterday, October 16, for a 12-night roundtrip sailing between Australia and New Zealand.

Princess alerted embarking passengers via a letter from the captain placed in all cabins. "As you may be aware, Sun Princess has experienced some technical difficulties which have resulted in our inability to operate at full speed," Captain Andrew Froude wrote in the letter, forwarded to Cruise Critic by Princess Cruises.

"At this time we have made the necessary changes to our scheduled itinerary to perform some technical repairs. During the course of these repairs there will be the need for periodic testing of the ship's power sources. This could result in planned power outages of selected areas. Announcements will be made in advance of any testing, which will have a possible impact in any passenger area."

As a result of the delay, Sun Princess will be skipping its call to Bay of Islands, New Zealand, scheduled for October 19. Instead, the ship will sail straight through to Auckland to arrive as originally scheduled at 7 a.m., October 20.

In the letter, the captain said passengers will be advised of compensation once the line has "determined the full impact" of the problem. Passengers who booked Bay of Islands shore excursions through the cruise line will be refunded.

Princess Cruises would not comment on the nature of the technical difficulties.

Jill:rolleyes:

The seas dont appear to be getting any better, in fact from the cam, they look worse. The live AIS has her speed at only 15 knots, but that could the conditions or she could be out of range and not reporting.

I hope the people on Sea Princess have a nice day as they will have to head into the Tasman and into the same conditions as Sun is experiencing.

Just checked bridgecam @ 1530, a bit rough out there, maybe a 6 metre swell. 35 knot winds anyway, Force 7 near gale.

Some big seas just south of Tasmania at the moment, 15-20 metres, I hope that pattern does not move across to NZ.

Archived