Carnival Drops Tortola as Port of Call for 2014-2015

LauraS

We already had San Juan as a port and we're going to St. Thomas instead. They also changed our time in San Juan. I'm not thrilled about St. Thomas, but I've never been to any of the eastern ports so I'll find something to do.

Do you like excursions that include snorkeling/sailing?? I HIGHLY recommend any of the excursions that will take you into St John from St Thomas. Check the port of call boards for ideas!!!

Do you like excursions that include snorkeling/sailing?? I HIGHLY recommend any of the excursions that will take you into St John from St Thomas. Check the port of call boards for ideas!!!

Totally agree. St John is the best! Great pace to go, although I would recommend a ship excursion as the ferry takes a while and does not run all that often.

Totally agree. St John is the best! Great pace to go, although I would recommend a ship excursion as the ferry takes a while and does not run all that often.

I usually take an excursion that includes the boat to get there....usually a full or half day sail (depending on how long ship is in port)

On my upcoming trip in february on the Sun, we are doing a full day sail http://www.sailwithcaptainmax.com/index.html

I cannot wait :)

I usually take an excursion that includes the boat to get there....usually a full or half day sail (depending on how long ship is in port)

On my upcoming trip in february on the Sun, we are doing a full day sail http://www.sailwithcaptainmax.com/index.html

Looks pretty darn good.

Never knew Carnival did Tortola!

Always thought it was the UK ships that went to Tortola

and American ships went to St.Thomas right next door!

It was not that long ago that they added them and on only a couple of cruises. Sometimes they have me scratching my head.

Never knew Carnival did Tortola!

Always thought it was the UK ships that went to Tortola

and American ships went to St.Thomas right next door!

We did it 8 years ago. San Juan/St. Thomas/Tortola

Seemed odd being they were close to one another.

Everyone always posts they head over to the Baths. We just headed over to Cane Garden Bay, ignoring the warnings.

We took the ferry to St John two weeks ago and wasnt a bad trip. There is a $ 2 bus to ferry that is a little hard to find but friends told us what to look for as taxi drivers kept lying to us about it but we found it without much trouble.

Turned out Trunk Bay was closed due to govt shutdown but taxi droppes us off at the beach, we walked thru barricade and had a gorgeous two hours on the beach.

Just have to watch the time.

We took the ferry to St John two weeks ago and wasnt a bad trip. There is a $ 2 bus to ferry that is a little hard to find but friends told us what to look for as taxi drivers kept lying to us about it but we found it without much trouble.

Turned out Trunk Bay was closed due to govt shutdown but taxi droppes us off at the beach, we walked thru barricade and had a gorgeous two hours on the beach.

Just have to watch the time.

Sometimes watching time can be stressful. With this particular excursion it won't be (unless something strange happens like the sailboat's engine fails and we are unfortunate enough to have no winds to get us moving and back to the ship in time LOL!!)

The sail is a maximum of 6 people. Me, my DH and 3 other folks from our roll call booked it. We all need to be back at the same time obviously, so Captain Max can schedule her sail around the ship's schedule.

The reviews on the POC boards here are fabulous and so reliabel for information about dependability of tour operators. In some ports (like Belize for example) this is vital.

Trip Advisor is another wonderful source of info.

Sometimes watching time can be stressful. With this particular excursion it won't be (unless something strange happens like the sailboat's engine fails and we are unfortunate enough to have no winds to get us moving and back to the ship in time LOL!!)

The sail is a maximum of 6 people. Me, my DH and 3 other folks from our roll call booked it. We all need to be back at the same time obviously, so Captain Max can schedule her sail around the ship's schedule.

The reviews on the POC boards here are fabulous and so reliabel for information about dependability of tour operators. In some ports (like Belize for example) this is vital.

Trip Advisor is another wonderful source of info.

Would have liked to charter a catamaran but others from our roll call booked it to capacity.

Wish it would have occured to us that there would be no food or drink available due to govt shutdown but we still had great time.

We are booked on the liberty 11/2014 Tortola was a planned port. We received email from Carnival yesterday telling us that Tortola has been dropped and we will be going to San Juan instead!

Us too. This news is very disappointing. Was looking forward to The Baths. DH is not understanding my disappointment either. The eternal optimist says, "Now we can visit the forts!" The man won't let me wallow in my self pity!

Liberty Nov 15th replaced with Nassau!! Not excited!!

I feel the same way about Nassau! Tortola was main reason for this booking for us as was for so many on this thread. I am wondering why it could not have been replaced with Half Moon Cay instead of Nassau, then I wouldn't have felt so cheated. Never been to HMC and heard great things about it. Does Carnival have a suggestion box :confused:

Nassua as a replacement?? I would not even bother getting off the ship. Tortola and Nassua, just no comparison(but thats my opinion) to me nassua is ok, but , no just ok :(

Have to agree. If we were paying what we are for our 8-day next year and it wound up in Nassau I'd be cancelling in a heartbeat.

Have to agree. If we were paying what we are for our 8-day next year and it wound up in Nassau I'd be cancelling in a heartbeat.

Yes, we may cancel, but the cruise is not until November 2014, so I thought I would give it some time and see if it may change again. I cannot believe anyone is happy with the Nassau substitution. I wish I knew someway to give Carnival some feedback on this, but I guess lack of bookings will say it all.

Archived