1st Solo Cruise to Alaska... am I crazy?! :)

scarlet2507

Hi there!

My title pretty much says it all. I have wanted to visit Alaska since I was 9 years old and ordered my first travel brochure from them. Fast forward 23 years later, and I think I'm finally ready to make it a reality! :) This will not be my first cruise, as I have been on 3 cruises as an adult and 6 cruises with my family as a child/teen. I've always loved cruising! A crazy hectic work schedule and the unavailability of a cruise buddy has hindered my love for travel. No more!

A little bit about me: I'm almost 32, female, love to travel and meet new people (though I am a true introvert most of the time), yet an old soul at heart. I mean, really, what 32 year old female thinks Alaska would be a trip of a lifetime, and totally excited to experience it by herself? I know, definitely not normal! :)

What I'd like to ask those more experienced is, which cruise line would I fit in with best? I understand and abhor the single supplement, yet willing to do it to cross this off of my bucket list! I have another weird bucket list thing in that I want to go to the Midnight Sun Festival in Fairbanks and see a baseball game at midnight! So, I'm looking at the end of June 2014, starting a cruise tour out of Fairbanks. Pre-cruise tour, then cruise.

Any pointers? Tips? Anyone else do this? Any suggestions or comments would be so welcome! It's pretty far away, but not really! Thank you for reading my post! :)

I think it is awesome that you have decided to go. You are not alone in being young and dreaming of going to Alaska. I wanted to go for over 20 years before I finally made it the first time at 45 yrs old. Loved it so much, we went back this past year and are looking at going again in 2015.

As for cruise line - that is really a personal choice. They all do a great job of it. I think what is most important is your port times. Take a look at all of them and see who offers what for how much. If you can include Glacier Bay on your trip, I highly recommend it but all of the Glaciers are beautiful.

Make sure once you pick a cruise, you sign of for your roll call so that you at least have some people to touch base with while you are on the cruise. It makes the planning alot more fun as well.

Now go and make your dream come true

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

I understand completely you going on your own (I am doing a world voyage on my own). I got tired of not being able to find someone who wants to do what I want, when I want - so I go by myself! Too many people put things off that they really want to do and then, for one reason or another, never get to do it. Go for it!

P.S. You might also want to look into Celebrity.

Thanks everyone! Well, I reserved my cruise! AHHHHHHH! :) I'm going with the cruisetour with the Crown Princess leaving Whittier on June 28th, it looks like. I can't find a roll call with it, though. Yet. It is still pretty early!

Talking about a cruise has given the itch to my brother and his wife. We are this close to booking a Bermuda cruise out of Bayonne in September 14th too on RCI Explorer of the Seas (They have an ice rink!?!?!? Cruise ships sure have changed since I first went on them!).

Super excited about planning for all these trips! Thanks again for your words of encouragement, and if you think of anything that could be of use, I gladly welcome it! Thanks again! :)

I mean, really, what 32 year old female thinks Alaska would be a trip of a lifetime, and totally excited to experience it by herself? I know, definitely not normal! :)

Oh thanks a bunch. I'm 33 and although I did not go alone, Alaska was definitely a huge highlight in my life *muttering about normality*

:p

OP - You are me back in 1999. My Dad had gone to Alaska in 1998 as a retirement trip and he did a 4 day land tour and 3 day cruise on Holland America. He absolutely LOVED the trip (his one and only cruse). However his camera broke and all his pics were foggy. Well after hearing how much he loved Alaska I decided to book an Alaskan cruise for myself. I had been on one cruise before and it was a love/hate thing with that cruise.

Anyway I went to Alaska in May 1999 on the Sea Princess' first ever Alaska cruise. I did a 7 day Vancouver to Seward cruise with a post cruise night in Anchorage. I had one of the best times of my life!

I say go for it.......Alaska is worth it!!!!! And I made some wonderful friends on that cruise!

And I made my Dad a photo scrapbook of my cruise to make up for the loss of his Alaska photos. He loved it!

What I'd like to ask those more experienced is, which cruise line would I fit in with best? I understand and abhor the single supplement, yet willing to do it to cross this off of my bucket list! I have another weird bucket list thing in that I want to go to the Midnight Sun Festival in Fairbanks and see a baseball game at midnight! So, I'm looking at the end of June 2014, starting a cruise tour out of Fairbanks. Pre-cruise tour, then cruise.

Any pointers? Tips? Anyone else do this? Any suggestions or comments would be so welcome! It's pretty far away, but not really! Thank you for reading my post! :)

Guess you can put me in that "crazy" category too! I'll be going it alone for my first big vacation ever, and first cruise. Going in September aboard the Coral Princess and doing land portion first. Will be celebrating my 60th birthday. Never too old to go for a dream!

That's so exciting! So happy for you! I hope you enjoy it! I was going to do a Princess cruise, but RC worked out better. I'm going to have to keep in touch with you to see how your experience was!!!!

Oh thanks a bunch. I'm 33 and although I did not go alone, Alaska was definitely a huge highlight in my life *muttering about normality*

:p

Normal? Pfffft. Who wants normal, right? :). Nice to hear that you enjoyed Alaska as well! Can't wait!

That's so exciting! So happy for you! I hope you enjoy it! I was going to do a Princess cruise, but RC worked out better. I'm going to have to keep in touch with you to see how your experience was!!!!

Would love to hear about your trip, the excursions, the experience - all of it! Please do keep in touch! :)

Been to Alaska alone a few times, trust me...not that unusual to see women/men, young and old doing solo trips 'of a lifetime.' It's done all the time....life circumstances have little bearing on what is normal or not.

You will have a great time...and probably be back for more:)

Guess you can put me in that "crazy" category too! I'll be going it alone for my first big vacation ever, and first cruise. Going in September aboard the Coral Princess and doing land portion first. Will be celebrating my 60th birthday. Never too old to go for a dream!

Agree and love your outlook on life!

Linblad/National Geographic waives the single supplement if you let them know you are willing to share a cabin with a same gender roommate, even if they don't assign you one. They also have a very reasonable single supplement should you prefer your own cabin.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

Archived