Nassau: Junkanoo beach vs British Colonial Hilton

richraven

You guys will decide where we"ll visit while in port when the Pride arrives in Nassau. I understand that the BCH is $60 per person( 40 dollar food and drink voucher) with our 4 year old being free, $120 total $80 in food. I also understand that Junkanoo beach is free but you must rent unbrellas and chairs. It seems that Junkanoo is more cost effective but is it really when you consider the things you must rent and the food. Please give us your input and vote at the end....We'll be counting and you'll decide for us.:)

You guys will decide where we"ll visit while in port when the Pride arrives in Nassau. I understand that the BCH is $60 per person( 40 dollar food and drink voucher) with our 4 year old being free, $120 total $80 in food. I also understand that Junkanoo beach is free but you must rent unbrellas and chairs. It seems that Junkanoo is more cost effective but is it really when you consider the things you must rent and the food. Please give us your input and vote at the end....We'll be counting and you'll decide for us.:)

Junkanoo in Nassau is maybe a 20 minute walk.

It's also a very small area , they have these like beach shacks, and they were selling 3 beers, and 3 shots for $10. That was of course last summer.

Lot's of places to eat on the way, not expensive at all.

The BCH has a nice clean beach located on a cove where the water is beautiful. You will be able to see the Pride docked from the beach. It is no more than a 10 minute walk from where you will dock.

Lounge chairs, towels and umbrellas are included and the facility is very clean. There is a clean restroom/changing room on the premises. There is also a pool. The food is decent, not gourmet, but not junk either. I remember burgers, chicken, sandwiches, fish, etc being offered at lunch. I also remember the drinks being expensive and very weak.

We have gone there several times and I highly recommend it, especially with a young child.

Have fun, wish I was on the Pride again with you!

We went to Junkanoo beach at the end of September this year to save money, we took the #10 bus because my dh didn't want to walk (it is walkable), we got to Junkanoo beach and looked around, it had a couple of shacks selling things, you had to rent beach chairs/umbrellas ($20) but the beach itself was dirty and there was a lot of broken glass (beer bottles) and the beach was very rocky and it hurt getting in and out of the water. BCH is the same beach but if I were to pay for a day pass I would go somewhere like the Whydam or Sheraton. BCH is a more relaxed vibe with just a pool and the beach and okay food not really kid friendly if you have children.

My DH actually wanted to pony up money to not stay at the beach. I would recommend neither.

We did Junkanoo on September 27 when we were on the breeze I have a 6 year old and a 3 year old... We walked.... We didn't rent lounge chairs just put our towels down... It was Alittle rocky but once in it was beautiful and we had a great day... No one really bothered us there were three stands to buy Dribks and snacks but we didn't great free day at the beach

We went to Junkanoo beach one time.....was not impressed. There were some questionable people hanging around and I not comfortable. The restrooms were filthy and it was just not a good experience.

If it were me i would definitely go to BCH......would be well worth the $$$$ to me!!!!!

We have done both. We didn't care for Junkanoo at all. A few shady people hanging around and the area wasn't the cleanest by a long shot. The BCH was ok. Much nicer than Junkanoo. We have also got the day pass at the Sheraton and enjoyed that a lot better than the other two. It has several pools, water falls, kayaks and paddle boards to rent, jet skis, very clean. Good food and drinks. We would go back there in a heartbeat.

We've gone to the BCH twice with the last time being on the 3rd of this month. We will go there every time we are in Nassau. It's nice, clean and peaceful plus the food is good and the drinks are strong. I'm cruising to Nassau at the beginning of December and plan to go. We also plan to go when we go to Nassau on our B2B next year. We love it!

We did Junkanoo Beach last year during our honeymoon cruise. I can confirm that there is broken glass and bottle caps everywhere. We wouldn't take off our flip flops during our time there because of it. It didn't ruin the trip, but it did take away from the experience. The vendors are nice and prices are reasonable.

Beware that you will have to walk through a somewhat sketchy stretch to get there. On our way to the beach there weren't many tourists and we were a bit uncomfortable. There were many more ship mates on the road during our return trip to the ship and it was much more pleasant.

Been to Nassau once. Went to the British Colonial Hilton... Very nice folks and at check in they treat you like a treasured guest.

P5090614.JPG

BCH from street

P5090615.JPG

That's how close you are...

P5090626.JPG

Representative loungers

P5090621.JPG

From a pier in front of BCH

Overall...I'd give it a B+. I'd go back....it's really close and pretty relaxing. The downside IMO is you really haven't BEEN anywhere, if you know what I mean.....

We reserved the BCH's day pass when we arrive in Nassau next month through Island Marketing.

We chose it because of it's proximity to the port, food and drinks, as well as sun beds, loungers, a pool, non motorized sports and beach toys e.g. kayaks, snorkel gear and free wifi. I heard that the view from the beach of the ship sitting in port makes a nice backdrop for pictures.

Here's a thread with pictures of the menu, etc.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1779197

Edited by ibcnusoon

Glad you brought up this topic, going to Nassau next month. Leaning towards either Sheraton or Junkanoo.

Not sure of water temps at the end of November, so maybe free might be better if its too chilly :eek:

Sent from my VS950 4G using Tapatalk 2

The BCH is up 4-2...I need more opinions.

We went to Junkanoo in May. Easy 10 minute walk. We took a beach sheet to lie on. I wore water shoes. DD wore flip flops. A DJ was playing. The restroom was clean. We brought our own water and packaged snacks. When we got hungry we walked back to the ship to eat.

From what I am reading here, if these are your only choices, pick Junkanoo and save your money.

Both beaches are side by side--the water does not know the difference.

There are a few pics in my review, see link below.

If you want to spend money I think there are better choices in other locations.

Otherwise, 2 votes for Junkanoo from myself and DD...

Oh, and there are shaded areas on Junkanoo, but then the sand under the trees has debris from the trees in it--did not see broken glass...

Edited by Medtech2

We went to Junkanoo in August. You can walk directly down Bay street and do the shops and straw market on the way. We stopped at a little liquor store and got some local beers and junkanoo punch for the walk. Just bring your room beach towels or we brought a large one from home for this and other beaches. They do not rent chairs or umbrellas. Do not stop at the beginning of the beach by Fat Tuesdays. That is where the sand might have some glass. We saw very little. We went farther down where the local kids ran and jumped off the pier. And the shacks with food and drinks are amazing. The jerk chicken for $5 is to die for! I did not see any sketchy people at all. This is where i would go if back again!

We went to Junkanoo in August. You can walk directly down Bay street and do the shops and straw market on the way. We stopped at a little liquor store and got some local beers and junkanoo punch for the walk. Just bring your room beach towels or we brought a large one from home for this and other beaches. They do not rent chairs or umbrellas. Do not stop at the beginning of the beach by Fat Tuesdays. That is where the sand might have some glass. We saw very little. We went farther down where the local kids ran and jumped off the pier. And the shacks with food and drinks are amazing. The jerk chicken for $5 is to die for! I did not see any sketchy people at all. This is where i would go if back again!

That's what we did also, ur description is excellent:)

Sketchy people?? Saw more on the ship than at Junkanoo:eek:

The DO rent chairs and also have some umbrellas.

We've been to the BCH and Sheraton (and Atlantis), and prefer the Sheraton over BCH. Yes, you need to take a taxi or the jittny, but we really enjoyed the 20 minute ride (we took a taxi, and had a great driver).

We are going to Atlantis again this time, only because the ship has a great price for it the week we are going (doing it for the kids - I'd be just as happy sitting on a beach).

We love Junkanoo. Beach is very clean (if you get there at 8 am there is some trash on the beach but by 8:30 or 9 am they have picked it all up). 2 chairs/table from JYAH (first vendor when you get there) is $30. Great place, beach is very clean, a little sea glass here and there but not glass/glass. Everyone is very friendly, cops walking around all the time, bathrooms are spotless.

Great food places. We always get lunch at the kiosk that sells the jerk chicken.. $6 for a good plate of either wings or cut up chicken and so yummy!! He also has other stuff but we always get the chickent.

Love it there, since we found Junkanoo, it is the only place we go to when in the Bahamas.

What's the cost for the Sheraton day pass? Just wanted to know to be able to compare costs with the other hotel mentioned here. Junkanoo beach sounds cheaper but looks like the only thing you can rent are chairs and an umbrella. With hubby and two boys, it'd be nice to have the option of renting snorkel gear, kayaks, and other beach toys.

What's the cost for the Sheraton day pass? Just wanted to know to be able to compare costs with the other hotel mentioned here. Junkanoo beach sounds cheaper but looks like the only thing you can rent are chairs and an umbrella. With hubby and two boys, it'd be nice to have the option of renting snorkel gear, kayaks, and other beach toys.

According to their website it is $30 per person.