When is a dress code not a dress code? On Silversea!

cruiseerf

imo opinion the fault still lies with SS. If they are not willing to have EVERY PASSENGER adhere to their dress code they have two options.

1. Do not sell suites to incentive groups

2. change the dress code so it's equal for everyone.

A third option would be to have certain sailings with a changed dress code which they would announce.

UKCruiseJeff, You may be absolutely right as to how these incentive packages are sold. Are you trying to say, however, that SS doesn't know who they are selling to. From your previous posts you are clearly neither naïve nor unintelligent. To assume that corporate sales for a sophisticated business such as SS doesn't know is both. As other posters have said, warn the client as to what is expected. Far better, as I do in my business, to lose a sale, than ruin a long tradition of excellence.

UKCruiseJeff, You may be absolutely right as to how these incentive packages are sold. Are you trying to say, however, that SS doesn't know who they are selling to. From your previous posts you are clearly neither naïve nor unintelligent. To assume that corporate sales for a sophisticated business such as SS doesn't know is both. As other posters have said, warn the client as to what is expected. Far better, as I do in my business, to lose a sale, than ruin a long tradition of excellence.

I agree.

We have sailed with groups on our sailings on other lines and they have worn the proper attire.

If this was me and I was on the sailing, I would send a letter to Silversea explaining what happened. I would express my displeasure but state that more importantly can they look into what happened (eg,, what communication/agreement was given to the group) and then to let me know if they can figure out what caused this to happen but just as importantly what they will do to prevent a reoccurrence.

The bottom line is whether one is in a group or traveling alone they should follow the cruise lines rules.

The only exception would be if the group is large enough that they charter the ship.

Keith

Not at all .. I didn't presumed or assumed anything of the kind .... I was simply stating what very probably happened. SS have a group sales team who will also be selling into incentive agencies. Those agencies expect to have free organiser places and will be working with SS to ensure the end-client is delighted. In accepting large group bookings SS have already gone down the path of risking compromising the product ethos and experience for the non-group passengers. Turning a blind-eye to the dress issue is simply further along that line.

What may have been incorrectly assumed however, is that SS actually care as much about resolving this particular issue on ship with a group booking as some of their non-group customers expect them to.

I do not think it "right" and agree fully with the adverse comments, I''m merely pointing out that it is entirely possible that SS know exactly what they are doing whether customers like it or not.

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

We sailed on the 20th March from Fort Lauderdale to Barbados with 2 large groups. There were other Cruise Critic members who I recall had no adverse comments. We however did find a big difference in comparison to our previous Med Cruise. On embarkation the two groups had long queues to reception and we had a short wait but there was no offer of Champagne to us, all the attention was for the group.

I had pre booked some treatments at the spa which were cancelled when I went at my allocated time. No explanation given other than the spa thought I would prefer my treatments the following day. I believe my treatments were cancelled to accommodate the large group. This happened twice.

We spoke with some crew that informed us that Room Service was being ordered at all hours of the night but when delivered, rooms would be unanswered and occupants were asleep.

We were also told that large quantities of Champagne was ordered to suites and opened but there were large volumes of wastage. Comments were made by crew to us about the impact on this particular sailing. We saw no problem with required dress code.

Despite this we had a fantastic cruise but I would really prefer not to have such large groups on future cruises, but it's very difficult to predict.

Jeff has it right. And it does not matter if the ship holds 3000 people or 300. What good is it if the line blocks access to your favorite restaurant/bar every night in favor of the group? Incentive bookings are not going away and all you can do is pray that you do not fall victim. If you are a casualty of such bookings, press the company for an extended discount on a future cruise. But they will do nothing for you and everything for the group during the sailing.

Jeff has it right. And it does not matter if the ship holds 3000 people or 300. What good is it if the line blocks access to your favorite restaurant/bar every night in favor of the group? Incentive bookings are not going away and all you can do is pray that you do not fall victim. If you are a casualty of such bookings, press the company for an extended discount on a future cruise. But they will do nothing for you and everything for the group during the sailing.

Thanks. :)

Group bookings are very attractive to SS.

The marketing element of each suite has been reduced to the cost of the SS sales rep. No brochure cost, no advertising cost and they buy in bulk. The cost of attracting brand new customers to try the product is really expensive. Now they have acquired over 100 suites full of people and many of them will return as full paying customers. The PAX will also be happy - often having won the trip and have nothing to pay. They are pretty euphoric and amongst friends etc.

So from the other end of the telescope SS have over 100 suites filled with very happy customers - who are potential "returners". They have a large corporation that is happy. They have an incentive organisor that is happy and is highly likely to push further business SS's way. They may or may not have also have the odd individual customer who contacts them to complain that people didn't wear a tie on formal night. They may even (rarely?) lose one of those customers.

SS will not be wringing their hands with angst. They will be delighted with this cruise and not be too bothered by the odd bit of individual dissatisfaction. I'm suprised anyone would think. that SS would think of this in any other way.

:)

Cruise lines will not turn money away and actively seek to accommodate companies who pay top dollar to bring large groups aboard.

A few complaints about dress code and hard to get restaurant bookings will not make any difference at all.

Oh, I do not agree with this.

I know of cruise lines that updated their procedures when problems that impacted customers occurred by groups.

I would not discount their ability on this nor just say they won't do it.

I think the suggestions that some of us have made are very reasonable.

Keith

Agree or not Keith however reasonable the suggestions may be, In the real world and not in the rose tinted world a few complaints about a group not conforming to a cruise lines dress code will not carry much weight.

I do not like it either but it is a hard fact where revenue is concerned.

I do not let how others dress affect the way that I dress for dinner, after all it does not change the taste of the food or how much fun I might have.

Here's another possible solution. With so many ships in the fleet, and since it's clearly impossible to fill them without groups, Silversea could designate 1 or 2 ships as group-only. I actually believe Oceania does this; I think one of their reps recently told me they take 1 of the small ships (Insignia, Nautica, Regatta) out of regular service each year to dedicate it to charters or groups. Could be wrong, but I think that's the case.

And I agree that those who don't want to book a cruise that features a group really should write to Silversea. One letter won't make a difference, but many..? Silversea has always relied heavily on word of mouth, and when discussing the line with our friends, this is something I now feel I have to bring up, since it affects our own cruising plans.

Edited by Seafairer

Agree or not Keith however reasonable the suggestions may be, In the real world and not in the rose tinted world a few complaints about a group not conforming to a cruise lines dress code will not carry much weight.

I do not like it either but it is a hard fact where revenue is concerned.

I do not let how others dress affect the way that I dress for dinner, after all it does not change the taste of the food or how much fun I might have.

Honestly, no one has the facts to know whether or not Silversea knew this up front so it might just involved a procedural change.

I have a fairly strong business sense/background which is why sometimes I push back on certain complaints that people have but there are certainly other times that the business can easily adjust procedures/revise policies.

Again, if this was me, I would send a letter to Silversea, asking them to review what happened and asking them to let me know what can be done to prevent a reoccurrence. Without facts we are only speculating but I would not assume nothing will be done without the facts.

Keith

Here's another possible solution. With so many ships in the fleet, and since it's clearly impossible to fill them without groups, Silversea could designate 1 or 2 ships as group-only. I actually believe Oceania does this; I think one of their reps recently told me they take 1 of the small ships (Insignia, Nautica, Regatta) out of regular service each year to dedicate it to charters or groups. Could be wrong, but I think that's the case.

And I agree that those who don't want to book a cruise that features a group really should write to Silversea. One letter won't make a difference, but many..? Silversea has always relied heavily on word of mouth, and when discussing the line with our friends, this is something I now feel I have to bring up, since it affects our own cruising plans.

To a certain extent this has already happened with the Cloud for next year, just look at the number of charters during March, April and May.

To a certain extent this has already happened with the Cloud for next year, just look at the number of charters during March, April and May.

It's great and clear if it is a full charter. However, the danger from a customer - those that prefer "normal" cruises that is - is a cruise that isn't a full charter but takes up a majority or significant minority of a ship. This can make a ship look "popular" and heavily subscribed very early.

This can have two potential hazards for us poor naive punters. Firstly the remaining suites are increased in price - or discounts removed and TAs and Silversea start telling people enquiring that the cruise is "selling out ... you need to decide". Whenever, a customer hears this the first question should be "has there been a group booking?" or they can find themselves with a high price for the dubious benefit of a semi- charter.

:)

Edited by UKCruiseJeff
spelling

Another option re: dress code is to take photos of all those nonconforming passengers, send to Silversea and tell them you are going to post these all over the internet with the headline: Silversea No Longer Requires Jackets, Ties or Proper Attire."

Another option re: dress code is to take photos of all those nonconforming passengers, send to Silversea and tell them you are going to post these all over the internet with the headline: Silversea No Longer Requires Jackets, Ties or Proper Attire."

If you post that you run the risk of people suddenly booking Silversea because they no longer require "Jackets, Ties or Proper Attire". :eek:

Is there not a danger that this would attract more dress-down customers?

:D

Keith as I said I do not like it either,I would also send a letter just to see if I even got a response which from past experience with Silversea can be hit or miss.

Cruise lines are rather good at fobbing people off with a bog standard letter with limp excuses.

Is there not a danger that this would attract more dress-down customers?

:D

That could be good for the dress downs and the dress ups.

Mr & Mrs Dress down would enjoy their cruise filled with like minded people and Mr & Mrs Dress up would know to avoid such a line and cruise with one that maintains the dress up dress code.

As it is at the moment it only suits Mr & Mrs Grey Area and Mr & Mrs clueless.:)

Hope you're joking. What a gross invasion of privacy.

Oh, I do not agree with this.

I know of cruise lines that updated their procedures when problems that impacted customers occurred by groups.

I would not discount their ability on this nor just say they won't do it.

I think the suggestions that some of us have made are very reasonable.

Keith

The problems caused by those groups were a lot more egregious than unwillingness to wear a coat/tie.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Edited by Mark_K

Hope you're joking. What a gross invasion of privacy.
Taking pictures of people while they are in public areas is not typically an invasion of privacy. If it were, the paparazzi would be out of business.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app