New way to carry my necklaces when I travel!

Robin7

Most of my necklaces are chunky and substantial like the ones shown. I have tried the straw method, and most of the clasps wouldn't go in. So then I slit the straw. Didn't work for me either.

Last cruise I wrapped each individual necklace in a piece of tissue paper and put it in a ziploc with its matching earrings in a tiny ziploc bag and the bracelet (if any). Sooooooooo tedious, but I didn't have tangles. I HATE tangles!

I think unrolling and looking at the necklaces each time would not take me very long. So I am going to try it!!!

I recently got one of these to put my earrings in so I don't have to put them in and out of the tiny bags.

9887282.jpg?sw=556&sh=680&sm=fit

http://www.joann.com/craft-mates-ezy-lockin--caddy-2-pkg/9887282.html#prefn1=isProject&start=84&pmin=0&sz=18&prefv1=false&pmax=5

I too take a microfiber towel for my hair. It's a turban. But it's so much lighter than a regular towel. Maybe I'll look for a regular shaped microfiber towel.

My hair turban is hot pink. No worries that the steward or housekeeper will take it. It's been on many, many trips!

I can't wait to try these methods!!!

Robin

But every time you open and close the drawer, those necklaces are going to move around on the towel.

I don't think this would happen, unless you jerk the drawer out really quickly & hard and slam it shut every time. The fibers on the towel should keep everything in place.

I don't think this would happen, unless you jerk the drawer out really quickly & hard and slam it shut every time. The fibers on the towel should keep everything in place.

It will if you have sticky drawers, which has happened in a number of cabins. Also, if the ship gets to rocking and rolling, things will shift. I would never have room in a drawer to leave them laid out like that. It just doesn't seem practical to me. But if it works for others, fine.

I finally found a way to carry my necklaces when I travel. It's GENIUS! And I've tried several different methods. This is THE BEST.

Sure beats wrapping each individual necklace. Last time I carried them wrapped in tissue paper and in a gallon-size ziploc. Took so long to pack and repack.

Plus I've had two different kinds of travel rolls. :rolleyes:

And I've put them in their own individual bags.

I LOVE THIS!

http://orgjunkie.com/2012/08/a-simple-inexpensive-travel-jewelry-organizer.html

jewelry-organizer-6.jpg

Just thought I'd share.

Robin

I cruise in a month and will totally be using this idea! Thanks!

Thanks for posting this. It was perfect timing! I've bought several jewelry organizers and while they work out for bracelets, watches and earrings, I always spend time on every cruise detangling at least 2 necklaces if not more.

I'm leaving this week for my first B2B. I'm definitely going to try this out.

Thanks for posting this. It was perfect timing! I've bought several jewelry organizers and while they work out for bracelets, watches and earrings, I always spend time on every cruise detangling at least 2 necklaces if not more.

I'm leaving this week for my first B2B. I'm definitely going to try this out.

I hope all of you who try it will report back on how it works. I am going on a car trip next week, so I will be using it then. (Our next cruise is not yet booked. :eek:)

Robin

I would actually try hanging them on a hanger once we get in the cabin. An empty drawer could work too though.

Last cruise, I put each one into a tiny baggie and they just ended up getting caught on themselves.

Eta: I didn't mean to put that mad face in the subject!

Edited by Ehpride

• 2 weeks later...

I've tried the straw trick for my small chain necklaces, trimming the straw for the shorter ones. But this will be great for the chunkier ones, like the ones displayed. Once I get to the hotel and onboard the ship, I put the necklaces on the hanger of whatever shirt or dress I'm most likely to be wearing it with.

• 3 weeks later...

I can now say that I've done this.

I had B2B cruises on 2 different ships followed by a conference that I went to with my husband a few days after getting back from the cruises.

For the cruise trip my necklaces were chunky enough and I took enough of them that I actually rolled up 2 different towels with them. I started to roll them on a hand towel from the bathroom but my hand towels were much plusher and seemed to add a lot of bulk so I used kitchen towels instead. I then used pony tail holders around each end of the tube I had created. It worked out well and gave me 4 additional hair elastics to utilize for my hair if needed. One of the concerns was what to do with the necklaces when you unpack. I had packed sundresses for day and simply hung the necklace that went with that dress around the top of the hanger on which that dress was hung. This worked out fine for me.

A few days after getting home we headed out to a conference. I used the same towel roll-up method. The hotel didn't have enough hangers. But did have a great dressing/makeup area with lighted mirror and an extremely shallow drawer. The drawer worked out perfectly to just unroll my towel and have my necklaces laid out in front of me. There was very minimal slip and slide of the towel in the drawer.

Non essential points of note : while on the ships, one of them had a very shallow drawer where you would sit at the desk/makeup counter and one did not. If I hadn't hung each necklace on a hanger with its appropriate outfit I could have utilized that narrow drawer on one of the ships, but wouldn't have had it on the other.

I'll definitely be utilizing this again for my upcoming cruises.

I can now say that I've done this.

I had B2B cruises on 2 different ships followed by a conference that I went to with my husband a few days after getting back from the cruises.

For the cruise trip my necklaces were chunky enough and I took enough of them that I actually rolled up 2 different towels with them. I started to roll them on a hand towel from the bathroom but my hand towels were much plusher and seemed to add a lot of bulk so I used kitchen towels instead. I then used pony tail holders around each end of the tube I had created. It worked out well and gave me 4 additional hair elastics to utilize for my hair if needed. One of the concerns was what to do with the necklaces when you unpack. I had packed sundresses for day and simply hung the necklace that went with that dress around the top of the hanger on which that dress was hung. This worked out fine for me.

A few days after getting home we headed out to a conference. I used the same towel roll-up method. The hotel didn't have enough hangers. But did have a great dressing/makeup area with lighted mirror and an extremely shallow drawer. The drawer worked out perfectly to just unroll my towel and have my necklaces laid out in front of me. There was very minimal slip and slide of the towel in the drawer.

Non essential points of note : while on the ships, one of them had a very shallow drawer where you would sit at the desk/makeup counter and one did not. If I hadn't hung each necklace on a hanger with its appropriate outfit I could have utilized that narrow drawer on one of the ships, but wouldn't have had it on the other.

I'll definitely be utilizing this again for my upcoming cruises.

Thanks for your first hand experience with this method. It's good to know how well it works.

Thanks for reporting back! I haven't been able to try it yet, because I ended up not going out of town. But I will be going out of town for Christmas so will definitely be trying it then. I appreciate the feedback.

Robin