back to back cruise

stringo

My partner and I are on Liberty of the Seas, leaving from Barcelona next Sunday. On arrival in Fort Lauderdale we then transfer to Oasis. Can anyone tell me if we keep our cases the last night and take them ourselves to check in for Oasis or is this done for us by the cruiseline. My thoughts are we would have to take the cases ourselves to go through the next embarkation process.

My partner and I are on Liberty of the Seas, leaving from Barcelona next Sunday. On arrival in Fort Lauderdale we then transfer to Oasis. Can anyone tell me if we keep our cases the last night and take them ourselves to check in for Oasis or is this done for us by the cruiseline. My thoughts are we would have to take the cases ourselves to go through the next embarkation process.

The transfer of your bags is not done by the cruise line. You will have to take them yourselves to Oasis.

You can keep the bags the last night and take them off the ship yourself, or use the disembarkation tags and have the cruise line take the bags off, but you will still need to take them to Oasis yourselves.

Interesting situation for clearing customs. If you have items to declare that would normally cost a duty be sure to ask the customs agent to explain how to proceed on a "continuing voyage." Because you will be in the country less than 24 hours you are not supposed to be able to leave anything in the country until the end of your voyage. Usually it doesn't make any difference but the way things are right now you don't want to get caught in the dark.

Also you will have to find the port shuttle to take you to pier 18, it's to far to walk.

...My thoughts are we would have to take the cases ourselves to go through the next embarkation process.

Yes, because Liberty and Oasis are at two completely different terminals. You can self-disembark (carrying all of your luggage yourselves), or set them in the hall and meet up with them inside the terminal. Since you don't have an early flight, there is really no reason to self-disembark and try to handle all your luggage. It's easy to let RCI do it and you just collect it inside the terminal, go through C&I, and then outside to a cab to the next terminal.

Technically this is not really a B2B as you are changing ships, so you will have to disembark, clear customs and immigration, and then embark on your new voyage. I suppose you could be considered "in transit", but I'm not even sure of that because you won't be in an enclosed security zone in an airport. Even though you are probably not planning to leave the terminal, you certainly could, so C&I would need to be cleared as RCI is not responsible for "taking" you to your next ship.

Anyway, sounds like fun! Enjoy both your cruises. :)

FWIW, we did a similar cruise (I called it a Side 2 Side, instead of Back 2 Back) from Liberty to Vision. I did exactly what you suggested, kept my bags and carried them off. The departure process was not a problem, but, the transfer process was a huge PITA. There's nobody to help you, there's no transportation, and the worst part is when you arrive at the second ship, you're in a crowd of people who are all leaving. You can take a cab to get from one ship to the other, but, I would be very careful to make sure your luggage is correctly placed to be put on board, since, everything else there is going the opposite way. Once you are aboard, and the luggage has arrived, you're all set. Enjoy your cruise.

Archived