Azura balconies. How far do the recliners recline?

Slugsta

We have decided to treat ourselves to a balcony next year on our Azura cruise to the med and Adriatic. 2 reasons - partly as a belated treat for our 30th wedding anniversary but mainly because I need to spend quite a lot of the day laying down and feel that I miss out on so much.

So we did some homework and booked a c deck balcony cos they are larger. Marked 'no upgrades'.

However, it appears that we didn't do enough homework as I have now discovered that the balconies don't actually have loungers.

So, just how far do the recliners recline? I don't need to be absolutely flat but I cannot sit normally for more than a few minutes ( I have to get up and walk round during meals, shows etc. One reason why cruising is so good for me, as travelling by train, plane, car is difficult). I really need to be at the sort of angle I would be if I was in bed with just a couple of pillows.

If the chairs are not suitable I will have to find a 'work around' but it would be good to know ahead of time!

Many thanks.

just google 'ventura c deck balcony' images and azura c deck balcony images and you'll get some idea. Ventura is identical to Azura. They do recline well back and there are footstools to go with the recliner which may help you.

Also have a word with your room steward and explain the situation he may be able to help. Nothing ventured etc.

Hi

From memory they have 3 settings, very comfy textoline garden style chairs,

We have c deck on Azura, and they also provide a square wooden slatted

Coffee style table, which we usually use as a footstool, hope that helps :)

Mrs Blue Sky

I have a photo of our aft balcony on C deck, taken just a month ago - featuring the chairs!!! Unfortunately the resolution is too high for this site but I'd be happy to email it to you if you wanted.

The chairs do recline a bit but they will not turn into a lounger. However the balconies are pretty big so maybe check with P&O and if there's a health reason, they may be able to provide a lounger. We also has a table as well as a footstool (same material as chairs).

I think I would ask for a lounger (or two) to be put on your balcony ......as it's for 'medical' reasons...there is certainly room for them.

I suggested on the questionnaire a while ago that if they put loungers on all the C deck balconies it would free up space on the upper decks that get so crowded....when we first cruised on Ventura in 2008 we just had upright short backed chairs on our C deck balcony so they have at least progressed to reclining chairs!!!!:)

We have had a balcony on C deck on Ventura (same as Azura) and we took rubberised/foam-type camping mats. They worked a treat: We were both able to lay out fully and comfortably together as the balconies are that big. We used the cabin pillows for head/neck support. :)

I was on C deck Azura for the 25 days no fly cruise last year, and asked the cabin steward, and he asked his boss , and they got me one, I am on Ventura in 2 days time on C deck , and hopefully he will be able to get me one again:D. Last time I was on Port side and got lots of sun, but this time I am on Starboard, so hopefully will get the sun by the time we reach the Caribbean:). I hope you can get your lounger, I dont find chairs very comfortable, and I couldnt lie on the floor, as I wouldnt be able to get up- old age etc :o, enjoy your cruise, I am definately going to .:)

Thanks so much for your input guys. Like 'pompey86' I cannot lie on the floor as I would have to crawl across the floor into the cabin and crawl up the bed in order to get up again!

I will be in touch with 'special needs' anyway, so I think I will ask them to help.

It's a long time until our cruise, but i will keep you updated in case it is of assistance to anyone else.

Here's a picture of my dear wife sat on a lounger on a C deck balcony on Ventura. You can also see another chair nearer the camera.

They do recline a bit - enough to be restful - but nowhere near 90 degrees.

cabin1.jpg

That is really helpful Tom, thank you! It confirms my suspicions that the chairs will no be suitable for me. It's a bit early for me to contact the Special Needs dept just yet. When I do, I will let people know the outcome.

That is really helpful Tom, thank you! It confirms my suspicions that the chairs will no be suitable for me. It's a bit early for me to contact the Special Needs dept just yet. When I do, I will let people know the outcome.

The chair tilts back further than shown in the photo.With your feet on the stool and chair tilted back you would have the same effect as if you were propped up in bed.A little travel pillow or a rolled towel at your head is more comfy than a pillow. Sometimes these loungers can be quite difficult to get on and of (my experience lol) Have a great holiday

Archived