Coral or Island to Alaska?

cruisequeen10

Would like to book the Alaska next year and was wondering which ship was better, the Island or Coral. I have been on most of the older ships (14). I know that the Island and Coral are identical, but still would like an opinion. Haven't cruised with Princess in a few years. Also, which way is better, Anchorage to Vancouver or Vancouver to Anchorage.

I like the times in port (Juneau is longer) on Vancouver to Whittier cruises. At least this year, the times in port and viewing the glaciers were better on Northbound. Plus, the scenary gets better the farther north you go (verses the scenary gets worse the farther south you go).

As far as Coral vs Island - you know they are identical and within 6 months of age of each other - after saying that, I am going to say "Coral Princess". For the past 3 years, Barbara has been the naturalist on the Coral Princess and she is excellent. I have no clue if she is going to be on the Coral Princess next year but there is a good chance she will be (she seems to stick to that ship - or at least the last 3 years she has). The other naturalists I have had the past 2 years (on the Sun and Dawn) have not measured up to Barbara.

There are probably just as many pros as cons for going Northbound verses Southbound. The one negative about Southbound is that many people miss College Fiords. They fly all day to Anchorage, transfer to Whittier and sleep in the following day and you hit College Fiords very, very early in the morning. Even if you are touring around Alaska first, people are often exhausted when they get to the cruise and miss a great day at College Fiords.....If you do Southbound, just take this into account.

I am in the process of finalizing our cruise for next July. My TA is recommending northbound Sapphire and I think that will be our choice. Next summer, Diamond/Sapphire will be doing the northbound/southbound itineraries and TA said there really wasn't much of a price difference and the Diamond/Sapphire are newer, huge ships! I am hoping to fit in 2 days before the cruise in Vancouver as I have always wanted to visit Victoria, B.C. Have fun planning!!

Next summer, Diamond/Sapphire will be doing the northbound/southbound itineraries and TA said there really wasn't much of a price difference and the Diamond/Sapphire are newer, huge ships!

With all due respect, in my opinion, bigger is not better. I will always choose a smaller ship over a Grand class ship whenever given the choice. Have sailed both the Diamond and the Coral Princess, the Coral Princess is a better choice and a much more beautiful ship.

We also prefer the route of the Northbound but do not like the day you get off the ship in Whittier. Plan on spending the night or several nights in Anchorage or the Alaska area. Otherwise, you will get off the ship at 7 am and will not have a flight until 10 pm.

I totally disagree that the scenery gets "worse" if you sail south. The bonus of the southbound is a full day for Anchorage/area touring if you wish to take advantage of your time there (most people don't) and the excellent daylight sailing of Vancouver Island. Consider interior touring with a one way, not a frequent trip for most and a shame not to take advantage of being all the way there. :)

I totally disagree that the scenery gets "worse" if you sail south.

I prefer Northbound because the scenary becomes more gorgeous and more beautiful the farther North you go. I probably wouldn't use the word "worse" but it becomes less beautiful as you go South. The last day going to Vancouver is our least favorite day and often a rough day.

Princess Addict --- if you are familiar with Alaska, you will realize the itinerary is the same for all 4 ships.

I am not familiar with Alaska cruises at all and never have done one either...I thought they were a little similar with the exception that some left San Francisco, others Vancouver and others Whittier? Is this not correct?

Next year --- the Island, Coral, Diamond and Sapphire are all doing the Voyage of the Glaciers which is the identical route when going North or South. They alternate doing one ways. The itinerary is the same for all of them. As far as preference, the Coral and Island would be my preference over the Sapphire and Diamond. There are 2 ships that elave out of Seattle and one that leaves out of San Francisco and those have different routes and in my opinion, inferior routes.

CruiseAddict---- maybe you should stick to answers you are familiar with instead of answering every question over itineraries you do not know about.

OK...thanks for the clarification...but I think in your explanation you omitted or forgot the Regal Princess for next year as well as this year in your lists of ships and itineraries for Alaska...thanks for clearing up Alaska in a nut shell for me!

OK...thanks for the clarification...but I think in your explanation you omitted the Regal Princess for next year in your lists of ships and itineraries for Alaska...thanks for clearing up Alaska in a nut shell for me!

FYI --- I mentioned the Regal Princess by saying there is a ship that leaves from San Francsico. I just didn't mention it by name. You just answer every question with out knowing the answer many times. Maybe look up the answers first??????

Would like to book the Alaska next year and was wondering which ship was better, the Island or Coral. I have been on most of the older ships (14). I know that the Island and Coral are identical, but still would like an opinion. Haven't cruised with Princess in a few years. Also, which way is better, Anchorage to Vancouver or Vancouver to Anchorage.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I would select the Coral Princess. Not been on the Island & they are sister ships, but, I know many of the crew on the Coral. The Maitre D Generoso is the ultimate best in the fleet.

When I went I did Vancouver to Anchorage. If I had more time would have loved to spend more time in Vancouver. Just lovely.

This route is awesome with Glacier Bay & College Fjord.

I also cruised Alaska via Seattle. Personally did not enjoy Tracey Arm as much. We had a rainy, foggy day & not much was seen.

Good Luck & enjoy. Alaska is a magnificent cruise:)

I have sailed on both the Island and Coral and loved them both...they are the same. For some reason I cannot explain, I liked the Coral a wee bit better. Maybe it was the crew.....anyway, I would sail again on either in a heart beat.

Having never sailed on Coral, I can't comment, but we loved the Island over the Star and the Sun classes. We'll be back on the Island next May for Alaska cruising. Our 10 day Panama on the Island was about as perfect a cruise as you'd ever want.

The Coral class has an extra deck of public spaces, similar to the Grand class, BUT still only has ~2000 people. While the wheelhouse bar is smaller than on the Sun class, the extra deck adds the explorer's lounge and a second level to the Vista lounge, while providing for a separate Sabbatini's and Bayou Cafe. No fixing up the Horizon Court on the Coral class.

So in summary, the Coral class has almost as much public space as the Diamond or Sapphire, but 700+ less people!

Note the ships we have been on in the signature. Having said that, I'd vote for either Island or Coral. Once you have selected that, just decide whether you want to go N or S and the date you want to sail. Then see which of the two (IP or CP) is sailing that day from that city. I don't think you will go wrong with either. Nor do I think you would be disappointed with SP or DP either for that matter.

FYI --- I mentioned the Regal Princess by saying there is a ship that leaves from San Francsico. I just didn't mention it by name. You just answer every question with out knowing the answer many times. Maybe look up the answers first??????

TSK! TSK! TSK! You question the knowledge of an experienced Princess cruiser - shame, shame, shame.

Ron

Thanks for all the input. As I live in Vancouver, I would prefer sailing out of my city. The only thing I want to know is once you get into Whittier, what is there to do. I plan on taking the train into Anchorage and because it leaves at 6:45 p.m. and the ship gets in the a.m., what is there to do all day.

Anyone done this?

Given that 4 ships are doing the Voyage of the Glaciers next summer, one of the things we considered was a Sat (Sapphire/Diamond) vs Mon (Coral/Island) departure. The Sat departure just worked better with our schedules so we're on the Sapphire northbound in June.

Thanks for all the input. As I live in Vancouver, I would prefer sailing out of my city. The only thing I want to know is once you get into Whittier, what is there to do. I plan on taking the train into Anchorage and because it leaves at 6:45 p.m. and the ship gets in the a.m., what is there to do all day.

There is nothing to do in Whittier. Whittier is a small town, only being set up in WWII for strategic reason and has stayed more or less in a time wrap ... The only thing to do is to take a wildlife / Glacier watching cruise to Prince William Sound - which costs slightly above $100 a person. I am not sure you want to do that after you already cruised Glacier Bay Nat'l Park / College Fjord.

We chose a SB cruise for the reason that we want to do the long flying part first and then after cruise finishes at Vancouver, we could just visit our relatives in Vancouver and relax for a few days, may go to Vancouver Island for a few days (always want to see Pacific Rim National Park, we only visited Victoria and all the way up to Comax. Never been to the west side of VI). I dont necessary agree with the "scenary gets less beautiful" part as we feel the scenary at Vancouver Island is very beautiful - we always enjoy the 2 hour journey between Trawwssen and Swartz Bay.

The only drawback I see on the SB is the early time for College Fjord and a short day in Juneau. Actually I think the time in Juneau probably is good enough for us, but we would really make an effort to get up early in order not to miss College Fjord eventhough we are flying in ANC the day before cruise.

Anyone done this?

There's a lot of downtown shopping. The mint, the Ulu factory, lots and lots of souvenier shops.

Rent a bike and bike the tony knowles coastal trail. Lots of great pictures on the path.

The native american center outside Anchorage is a real treat. But you would need a car. Don't know about busses.

There are a couple of good resturants downtown.

The IMAX theater probably has some Alaskan movies going on.

Lot's to do.

With all due respect, in my opinion, bigger is not better. I will always choose a smaller ship over a Grand class ship whenever given the choice. Have sailed both the Diamond and the Coral Princess, the Coral Princess is a better choice and a much more beautiful ship.

Having also been on both the Diamond and Coral Princess, I would have to disagree. I thought the Diamond was much nicer. There was very little food late at night in Horizon on the Coral (which wasn't the case on the Diamond unless this was a recent change on Princess). Additionally, I didn't think the railing around the public decks on the ship was well designed. There were either full height glass railings (like at the front of the ship), or half glass/half steel (like at the back) - both of which block a good, clear view when you're standing or sitting on a deck chair. I thought the placement of chairs on the Coral was a bit awkward too. Yes, the ship does feel a bit emptier because there are less people, but I still prefer the design of the Diamond.

I prefer Northbound because the scenary becomes more gorgeous and more beautiful the farther North you go. I probably wouldn't use the word "worse" but it becomes less beautiful as you go South. The last day going to Vancouver is our least favorite day and often a rough day.

Actually, the day going into Vancouver was probably one of my favourite days on our southbound cruise! Warm weather and amazing scenery. I don't know if I'd say it gets worse as you go south, just different. I think the most scenic part of Alaska was Glacier Bay (College Fjord just didn't do it for me), which is earlier on, but again, the Vancouver Island area is a great finish as well.

You also get the benefit of a better/more convenient flight if you go southbound. I don't think I would have enjoyed dealing with a connection/an extra 3 hours of flying time on the way home.

Archived