All single supplement now 100% after site upgrade

roquejo

What ship are you checking? You can book a jr suite for majesty and enchantment for dec 27 3 day cruises for under 2k. Maybe it was a glitch when you were price checking.

It must be the web site, I get a different price each time I check. The 4 day Liberty is $1900 for 4 days. So my strategy will be to check daily for any deals. $500. Is my max for an Oceanview! Since I'm an hour from Miami and 2 hours from Port Canaveral I will likely end up on the Enchantment or the Majesty !!! I will let you know how it goes!! I have the days off so I can decide last minute!!!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I was excited to hear about finally receiving the extra points for my solo bookings. Then I went on the Allure this past week, there was a group of travel agents attending an RCL seminar and they asked the question about the web site showing 200% fares for all sailings and the RCL rep said that would be the case, except perhaps a very limited number of special deals. Since I have only rarely paid a full 200%, this really changes my planning. I have paid 200% for a special sailing, but otherwise the percentage was about 1.7%. I wrote a rather long paragraph on my customer satisfaction survey that if that would be the new policy, I would definitely spend my travel dollars elsewhere. Fortunately I enjoy Road Scholar tours, land tours etc, so cruising is only one part of my travel. I would have no problem if they prorated the points to reflect the actual surcharge paid, but I am not going to pay 200% for something like a 4 day cruise (unless the per person rate is so low that even double it is a good deal).

Strongly suggest that if a solo cruiser finds that a sailing is charging 200% they notify RCL in writing why they are not booking that cruise. I don't believe RCL realizes that, in my opinion, for most solo cruisers price is more important than points. Guess we'll see what happens. I have my cruises booked for next year, so I will have time to find other travel options.

I fully agree as well. 90% of my cruising on RCCL has been done by Solo pricing. I work for Disney and get discounts with them but have to pay 200% with Disney as well. In the past RCCL has always been better pricing then any Disney Cruise in terms of Solo Travel.

I do like to have double points but will trade that perk in for better pricing for Solo Travelers.

It must be the web site, I get a different price each time I check. The 4 day Liberty is $1900 for 4 days. So my strategy will be to check daily for any deals. $500. Is my max for an Oceanview! Since I'm an hour from Miami and 2 hours from Port Canaveral I will likely end up on the Enchantment or the Majesty !!! I will let you know how it goes!! I have the days off so I can decide last minute!!!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

There is no December 27, 2014 cruise on the Liberty.

Many more people will be traveling solo in the future due to more babyboomers becoming solos. If this is a new stragegy for Royal Caribbean to make more $ it will definitely backfire. Kicking solo travelers in the teeth with higher fares is not going to create more revenue!!

Many more people will be traveling solo in the future due to more babyboomers becoming solos. If this is a new stragegy for Royal Caribbean to make more $ it will definitely backfire. Kicking solo travelers in the teeth with higher fares is not going to create more revenue!!

I do not think that is the case here. On our next TA in may there was no single supplement being charged for the IOS, for a long time. There are no double points for us going single, which is fine as we got a great deal. You just have to look around and search for the deals coming up.

I do not think that is the case here. On our next TA in may there was no single supplement being charged for the IOS, for a long time. There are no double points for us going single, which is fine as we got a great deal. You just have to look around and search for the deals coming up.

Unfortunately, now even this TA on the Independence in May is charging 200% for solos now.... It's good that you booked prior to the upgrade on RCCL's website. Now most of the cruises on RCCL are charging double for solos. I hope that changes!

RCCL 200% solo pricing will not deter me from cruising . I have a set amount budgeted each year for cruises. It just means that now I may only take one cruise rather than 2 as was the case if I found a very good deal.

Been solo cruising for 30 plus years and have rode the many ups and downs of solo price changes through the years. This is certainly no different. Double C&A points really don't influence my purchasing decision as I shop around for the best value regardless of the cruise line.

Edited by xxoocruiser

I understand why one would be charged 200% of the commissionable fare. If that cabin had been booked at double occupancy they would have received that revenue.

But how can they justify charging 200% of the non-commissionable fare? That is largely made up of port fees which they pay out per person, not per cabin.

:confused:

We haven't booked yet. We need 3 cabins (2 double and a single) and this may be enough to push us in another direction.

IC

Please post the bargains you find for solo cruisers! I'm looking for January, February, March and April. Everything is 200%! What have you been able to find??

I understand why one would be charged 200% of the commissionable fare. If that cabin had been booked at double occupancy they would have received that revenue.

But how can they justify charging 200% of the non-commissionable fare? That is largely made up of port fees which they pay out per person, not per cabin.

:confused:

We haven't booked yet. We need 3 cabins (2 double and a single) and this may be enough to push us in another direction.

IC

Although I have been one posting about this, I must correct myself, and you.

The port fees are NOT in the NCCF.

They are in the "taxes and fees" that you see in every fare quote.

Yes, this is very disappointing. I just booked my first solo cruise for 2015 and feel the same way :(

I think I will do some price shopping right now.....

Have done a number of solo cruises and have never found the "bargains" that some people talk about. Also, I sail interior and don't

feel I must have a balcony which seems to be a big thing with many cruisers. I fly to a port and live 4 hrs from a major airport so must have a hotel both before and after a cruise and again remember that hotels charge the same rate for one as for two people.

You are not providing any helpful info??

Have done a number of solo cruises and have never found the "bargains" that some people talk about. Also, I sail interior and don't

feel I must have a balcony which seems to be a big thing with many cruisers. I fly to a port and live 4 hrs from a major airport so must have a hotel both before and after a cruise and again remember that hotels charge the same rate for one as for two people.

No helpful info here, either. I don't care to live in the basement after many, many cruises with Royal Caribbean!

Please post the bargains you find for solo cruisers! I'm looking for January, February, March and April. Everything is 200%! What have you been able to find??

Rhonda, I am on that same transatlantic with Folk Singer. Indeed, I booked it with NO single supplement. I booked it because it was irresistibly cheap.

That's May 4, 2014, Fort Lauderdale to Southampton, England.

The deal is long gone, of course. (I booked in early September)

I am on an Explorer cruise in March - the 21st. Also very very low single supplement. Also long gone.

I was alerted to both by friends. One found out because she is a TA; I'm not sure how the other one found out.

It really is serendipity to find such cruises.

Otherwise, your only choice is to check the Tuesday specials EVERY Thursday night, to see what you can grab at 12:01 A.M. on Monday. :)

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/Multi_Dest/Special_Offers/rci_sales_event.pdf

Bookmark it, if you haven't already. The bottom row of each page always shows the single supplement.

Edited by Merion_Mom

Subscribe to this thread...and also add to it if you find any solo deals. It helps when solos share info.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=851324

Rhonda, I am on that same transatlantic with Folk Singer. Indeed, I booked it with NO single supplement. I booked it because it was irresistibly cheap.

That's May 4, 2014, Fort Lauderdale to Southampton, England.

The deal is long gone, of course. (I booked in early September)

I am on an Explorer cruise in March - the 21st. Also very very low single supplement. Also long gone.

I was alerted to both by friends. One found out because she is a TA; I'm not sure how the other one found out.

It really is serendipity to find such cruises.

Otherwise, your only choice is to check the Tuesday specials EVERY Thursday night, to see what you can grab at 12:01 A.M. on Monday. :)

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/Multi_Dest/Special_Offers/rci_sales_event.pdf

Bookmark it, if you haven't already. The bottom row of each page always shows the single supplement.

Carole, Thanks. I do check the Tuesday sale every week. But at this point all of the cruises are in November and December. Guess I've always been lucky in finding reasonable fares in the past. I have a Brilliance cruise booked for December and Allure for February, both of which have almost doubled in cost for new bookings over what I have paid. I'm going to start looking at Princess sales, too.

apart from this TA haven't found anything else yet. but I check the RCCL site and the other CC message boards. Regularly.

Why will you not receive the bonus points for sailing solo? What am I missing about this?