How did you like the food on Royal Princess?

Catnap All Day

My husband and I have not sailed with Princess for several years and just booked the Royal in January. Looking forward to sailing on their newest ship. I am trying to read all I can about the ship and I would certainly appreciate it if someone could let know about the different restaurants. I hear names, but would love to know which ones need reservations and also where can you have breakfast and lunch daily.

Have really enjoyed reading about the ship and appreciate those who have already sailed posting their reviews.

Sandy

We ate more in the HC more than on any other cruise. Even ate dinner there frequently. We thought the food was VERY good, however,,I agree the temperature should have been hotter. Every meal had a wide variety of options.

We did the Fondue with friends and recommend it. We ordered the swiss and cheddar. They offer sausage, chicken and bread to dip in the cheese. We would order the swiss and champagne and the swiss we had if we did it again. It started with a delicious chopped salad and ended with strawberries, pineapple and marshmellos and a delicious chocolate fondue for dessert. We all enjoyed it very much. Compared to local Fondue restaurants the price was very reasonable.

Another vote for Alfredo's. We went three times. Incredible. At the suggestion of CC's i ordered the stuffed pasta which is actually a ravioli in an Alfredo sauce. My mouth waters just thinking about it. Make sure you try it if you go to Alfredo's. The soup was especially delicious too.

We, like Pam, enjoyed the food in Horizon Court. Such a variety! Only food that turned us off was the Indian food. We went to MDR that night. I do have to qualify that at breakfast, you should avoid the pancakes (taste like cardboard and are not light and fluffy), the biscuits (heard they were hard as bricks so I avoided), and the OJ. Why does it always taste like they added a gallon of water to it before serving? I love OJ and have it every morning, EXCEPT on Princess ships.

Also, we tried our usual hamburger at Trident Grill on embarkation day. Something very different about this burger, it didn't taste like beef to us. We didn't finish our burgers. First time ever! Didn't go back and try another one. The hot dogs were fine.

We tried Smokehouse and didn't care for the Carolina pulled pork sandwich. Very bland.

Alfredos was a big hit with us. You can't go wrong there.

Never went to Sabatinis or Crown Grill.

We ate at Wheelhouse for the Pub Lunches. The fish and chips were pretty good. I just wish the fish was firmer like the real pubs in London serve.

We only ate in the MDR three or four times. The food was fine, just the service seemed slow. Since we enjoyed the food in Horizon so much we kept going back up there to eat.

International Cafe was great as usual. We asked immediately if they had Custard donuts and were told no.:( Several days later we walked by and they had Cream donuts. ??? Tried one and it was the same Custard donut all the other ships serve. Made us very happy. I don't know why they aren't named the same, but who cares? Just wish they had communicated that they had Cream and not Custard.:confused:

So there are a lot of choices. Just our humble opinion.

OP,

If you want a real (and very sinful!.) treat order one of the dessert soufflés after dinner. On our 12 night cruise I think they had them three times, so assume maybe twice on a seven night cruise. They are, well, to die for and a specialty of Princess and they were excellent on the Royal!! ;)

Sincerely appreciate all the continuing reports from those who have personally experienced Royal Princess. :D Really looking forward to Alfredo's with all of the positive feedback from everyone.

We did the Fondue with friends and recommend it. We ordered the swiss and cheddar. They offer sausage' date=' chicken and bread to dip in the cheese. We would order the swiss and champagne and the swiss we had if we did it again. It started with a delicious chopped salad and ended with strawberries, pineapple and marshmellos and a delicious chocolate fondue for dessert. We all enjoyed it very much. Compared to local Fondue restaurants the price was very reasonable.[/quote']

Thanks for the great report on Fondue's, as it is on my 'List' to try on each segment of my B2B.

I do have to qualify that at breakfast, you should avoid the pancakes (taste like cardboard and are not light and fluffy), the biscuits (heard they were hard as bricks so I avoided), and the OJ. Why does it always taste like they added a gallon of water to it before serving? I love OJ and have it every morning, EXCEPT on Princess ships.

Also, we tried our usual hamburger at Trident Grill on embarkation day. Something very different about this burger, it didn't taste like beef to us. We didn't finish our burgers. First time ever! Didn't go back and try another one. The hot dogs were fine.

I was going to try breakfast in the MDR but now I'm not so sure.

And that's the second report on the hamburgers at Trident Grill being bad. I was looking forward to having them again as it was one of the few food itmes I enjoyed on Ruby Princess last year.

My husband and I have not sailed with Princess for several years and just booked the Royal in January. Looking forward to sailing on their newest ship. I am trying to read all I can about the ship and I would certainly appreciate it if someone could let know about the different restaurants. I hear names, but would love to know which ones need reservations and also where can you have breakfast and lunch daily.

Have really enjoyed reading about the ship and appreciate those who have already sailed posting their reviews.

Sandy

HI Sandy,

Try this link, as it might help...

http://www.princess.com/news/backgrounders_and_fact_sheets/factsheet/Royal-Princess-Offers-Dining-Options-for-Every-Craving.html#.UnHthXCsiSp

Is the lobster in CG/Sabatini the same quality as the ones served in the main dining room? From the comments posted thus far, it doesn't seem like it's worth spending extra $ for lobsters at either CG/Sabatini. Can someone please explain if this is correct?

Archived