Shows: Now that we've completed our first RCCL, some questions

Yeah, I've sailed quite a few Royal ships and unfortunately, you hit the weak link! Usually, the entertainers are pretty good, but frankly those production shows on Jewel IMO are among the worst :(

One of the "factors" I often consider is not just cheesy production shows, but how is the live entertainment around the ship? And in general the level of talent on Royal ships of the piano man, the house band etc are really really good! I remember being on Jewel and the house band played an "opener" before one of the production shows that brought the whole crowd to its feet- it was phenomenal! I spent the rest of the show wishing they had just let the house band jam jazz tunes all night :rolleyes:

A little hint: sit in the balcony for an easy get away if the show ends up not being appealing to you!

Edited by Familygoboston

The "show's" are what they are. A nice one is nice, but we're there for the ship and even more for the ports. It would never occur to us to complain about the shows, they are a low priority for us. When a one hour show starts to dictate our enjoyment of a 24 hour cruise, we'll stop going.......

Edited by bouhunter

One of the "factors" I often consider is not just cheesy production shows, but how is the live entertainment around the ship?

Yes, the live music was very nice! The bands were better than the piano player in Schooner (just meh). Very much a Latin bent but we were sailing out of San Juan so it was to be expected. There was a nice variety, it wasn't too focused on one genre.

The "shows" are what they are. A nice one is nice, but we're there for the ship and even more for the ports. It would never occur to us to complain about the shows, they are a low priority for us. When a one hour show starts to dictate our enjoyment of a 24 hour cruise, we'll stop going.......

We enjoy theater and have enjoyed good performances on the line we primarily sail. It was something new to us for them to be so underwhelming. That's why I'm asking questions. Feel that I gave Royal a fair shake on this trip but weren't willing to waste our time. They are advertised so we tried to attend. It didn't meet the billing.

There are about a dozen other things that DID affect our enjoyment, this was only one small component - and I'm focused on getting feedback, not complaining.

We have been on 3 cruises, and in every instance, the entertainment has been awful. Okay: mediocre, at best.

I think it depends on your perspective: if you grew up in NYC and have been to a lot of shows on Broadway, don't even bother.

We kept trying the shows, and kept walking out. I've seriously seen local high school productions better than what we saw on Independence.

On Celebrity, they had several good acapella groups and live music in the lounges that was good.

The "show's" are what they are. A nice one is nice, but we're there for the ship and even more for the ports. It would never occur to us to complain about the shows, they are a low priority for us. When a one hour show starts to dictate our enjoyment of a 24 hour cruise, we'll stop going.......

Lighten up! She was just asking questions. And if a cruise line promises "Broadway quality" shows, than they are setting folks up for a disappointment. I also cruise for many factors and wouldn't NOT take Royal because of their shows, but it would be nice if quality improved!

I've only been on Independence, but I have done several cruises on another line. I love going to the shows. I have sat in the audience and felt that I've seen some high school show choirs that out preform some of the ship's shows. However, I approach every show with new hope.:)

Yeah, I've sailed quite a few Royal ships and unfortunately, you hit the weak link! Usually, the entertainers are pretty good, but frankly those production shows on Jewel IMO are among the worst :(

One of the "factors" I often consider is not just cheesy production shows, but how is the live entertainment around the ship? And in general the level of talent on Royal ships of the piano man, the house band etc are really really good! I remember being on Jewel and the house band played an "opener" before one of the production shows that brought the whole crowd to its feet- it was phenomenal! I spent the rest of the show wishing they had just let the house band jam jazz tunes all night :rolleyes:

A little hint: sit in the balcony for an easy get away if the show ends up not being appealing to you!

That's what I enjoy. The house band playing Jazz or showtunes. No screeching singers who break my eardrums.

We generally really enjoy the shows, but as other posters said, the quality varies from ship-to-ship, and from singing/dancing troupe to troupe.

Having said that, we found the shows and entertainment on Jewel to be the weakest of all the cruises we've taken. Very poor quality, and quite frankly, rather boring. Yes, the ship is gorgeous and the Southern itinerary is wonderful, but it was one of our least favorite cruises because of this.

Of our most recently cruises, we loved the shows on Explorer, Allure, and most of all on Celebrity Summit!

Edited by DonnaK

Having said that, we found the shows and entertainment on Jewel to be the weakest of all the cruises we've taken. Very poor quality, and quite frankly, rather boring.

Guess it's good to know that there is better out there. This is exactly the kind of information I was looking for. The ship is very pretty with all the views and the musicians were nice to have all over.

So with all of this feedback, do people not note these issues on their comment cards? Have most stopped going? Accepted it as normal? Can't imagine Royal wants "sucky shows" as part of their brand image.

Guess it's good to know that there is better out there. This is exactly the kind of information I was looking for. The ship is very pretty with all the views and the musicians were nice to have all over.

So with all of this feedback, do people not note these issues on their comment cards? Have most stopped going? Accepted it as normal? Can't imagine Royal wants "sucky shows" as part of their brand image.

I wrote RCI quite an eyefull on my comment card at the end of our cruise on Independence.

I wrote RCI quite an eyefull on my comment card at the end of our cruise on Independence.

I also wrote extensive comments about how poor the entertainment was on our Jewel cruise. MDR service was adequate, but nothing special, and I provided feedback about that too.

The shows on Oasis this summer were amazing. Loved Hairspray and the aqua theatre diving shows were very good. Did IOS in 2009 and enjoyed the shows also.

To come

Canadian Rockies/Alaska cruise Aug 2014

Taken

Oasis of the Seas. Aug 2013

Independence of the Seas 2009

What I loved about Disney, as you did, besides the wonderful Disney production shows, was the adults only area with late-night shows. Included alot of comedy. SO much fun!

That's the amazing thing about Disney - they have alot of adults only areas, including pool and entertainment.

Unfortunately, when they mount those big production shows they stay on the ship for several years in order to justify the investment in developing a new show. (This from the stage manager on a " backstage tour" on board NOS where, as a side bar I thought the production shows were pretty decent) So no amount of complaining will change the production shows until its time.

And I've noticed that when they've made a change or launch a new ship- they've gone with a broadway show (even if abbreviated) rather than an original show. My experience with these new shows is that they are excellent, so there is reason to hope:D I agree with Donna, the production shows on Jewel are among the very worst the fleet offers. We leave in 3 weeks and we really don't plan to attend either production show!

Unfortunately, when they mount those big production shows they stay on the ship for several years in order to justify the investment in developing a new show. (This from the stage manager on a " backstage tour" on board NOS where, as a side bar I thought the production shows were pretty decent) So no amount of complaining will change the production shows until its time...
I've been told that given the cost unless a show really bombs, 5 years is the minimum run. We sailed a number of times on Celebrity Mercury, including her Final Voyage in 2011. The very last production show ever on that ship had been the ship's very first production show in 1997 - 14 years before!

Thom

I've been told that given the cost unless a show really bombs, 5 years is the minimum run. We sailed a number of times on Celebrity Mercury, including her Final Voyage in 2011. The very last production show ever on that ship had been the ship's very first production show in 1997 - 14 years before!

Thom

that is the thing about Art- wether it is music,dance,paintings,play etc. it appeals to some somedays and not others and then vis a versa.

I have to agree with others about the productions on Jewel. I didn't think the actual singing and dancing was that bad, but the shows made absolutely no sense and the costumes were horrible! I was rather embarrassed for them that they even had to wear them. On the Freedom earlier this year, I didn't care for the Broadway themed show, but loved Once Upon A Time. Definitely my favorite production show so far.

My favorite is good headliner singer with the live 9-piece ship band (11 pieces on Oasis and Allure) backing him/her with little or no recorded music. Glenn Smith is one example. He's very entertaining. http://www.glennsmithmusic.com/

We've had some really funny comedians too. Etta May was great.

And we really enjoyed "Center Stage" on the Mariner. It not only had the ship's band, but also the classical strings and salsa band.

Here's a clip from the Indy:

Edited by Jimnbigd

My husband and I are frequent cruisers and held RCCL as one of our favorites until our last cruise this Sept (2013). We had been on the Brilliance a few years ago and enjoyed it but this trip was one of the worst experiences we have had. The food was substandard; waiter's in the dining room brought bread, food out then disappeared so if you wanted seconds or another choice you were out of luck. The entertainment was the absolute worse! They are trying to have 15 min aerial acts in the middle of the ship but seating is limited so if you are standing, you cannot see everything. The entertainers in the theater were two comedians (two different nights). One was an old man that told old senior jokes that we have all heard a million times. There was a juggler - he was ok but very disappointed that there was only one 'Broadway style show' - and we missed it because of dining. Fortunately our ports of call were fab! We did the Canada/New England tour.

I keep reading references to the shows and entertainment on Royal to be great "in comparison to other lines". We sailed our first Royal cruise earlier this month on Jewel and found the shows horrendous. Singers were pitchy, arrangements were questionable, "live band" was small and hardly a draw, and the plots (if you could call them that) confused the heck out of me. Not sure if the Radiance class is not known for its stage presentations or if this is what I should expect across the fleet. Swear I have seen better in community theater.
The production shows on Independence this past March were BAD and so was the headliner.

I have to agree with the singers and dancers on Jewel and Independence being community-theater level at best. I've heard that the ships with actual Broadway shows are better, but I don't have any first hand experience.

Edited by ahecht

Marketing aspects ("Broadway Quality") aside, the shows really are what they are and to expect more isn't realistic.

While they are truly amazing feats of technology, the theaters on the ships simply don't have the space needed nor can they do some of the things that land based theaters do routinely. You can't have a full sized pit orchestra. You can't have full sets. You can't do certain choreography on a stage that is randomly pitching and rolling.

The "Broadway" shows are sliced to ribbons to bring them in at 90 minutes or less, I'm not surprised that people are having trouble following the plots.

Also (and this is absolutely not meant to be a slam in any way) bear in mind that apart from a scant few that have made a lifestyle of it, most of the performers and technicians use work on cruise ships as a stepping stone on the way to something else. Some will continue on, for others you may be truly seeing the limitations of their ability. Fluke chances aside, you aren't seeing Broadway quality performers... or at least they aren't Broadway quality yet.

Marketing aspects ("Broadway Quality") aside, the shows really are what they are and to expect more isn't realistic.

While they are truly amazing feats of technology, the theaters on the ships simply don't have the space needed nor can they do some of the things that land based theaters do routinely. You can't have a full sized pit orchestra. You can't have full sets. You can't do certain choreography on a stage that is randomly pitching and rolling.

The "Broadway" shows are sliced to ribbons to bring them in at 90 minutes or less, I'm not surprised that people are having trouble following the plots.

Also (and this is absolutely not meant to be a slam in any way) bear in mind that apart from a scant few that have made a lifestyle of it, most of the performers and technicians use work on cruise ships as a stepping stone on the way to something else. Some will continue on, for others you may be truly seeing the limitations of their ability. Fluke chances aside, you aren't seeing Broadway quality performers... or at least they aren't Broadway quality yet.

Having seen the shows: Hairspray and Chicago, on broadway, the movies and on the Oasis and the Allure- I must say that the quality of the performers and the show is very similiar to the broadway versions. I was amazed as they did capture the essence of the show. The ship shows were truly an unexpected joy. The music and performers were excellent.

Personally, I love Hairspray more then Chicago, but each show was great. I look forward to seeing Chicago again.

Living in NY, I frequent Broadway often and must respectfully disagree with the above post.

Enjoy the cruise

Edited by Cruise a holic