where to sleep?

I am highly amused by some of the postings on here. First, I'm glad the op has finally got some satisfaction. 25% was a non-starter.

However, it was RCL's fault no matter how you TA haters want it to be otherwise. Only RCL could have put 3 people in a 2 person cabin. That's a fact because they have to give seapass cards and that just wouldn't have happened had they been doing their job properly.

The TA was bad in that she/he didn't follow up with the complaint when they returned and gone right to the top at RCL to deal with this. They did sluff the OP off no doubt.

All your speculating on how the TA could have put 3 in a cabin is downright silly.

The fact is RCL is at fault. And that, I would take to the bank.

(Onboard services were also very stupid.)

I've been very impressed with your even-keeled approach & am happy things worked out in the end (sort of...)

Thanks. I really try to stay calm and understand mistakes happen however it was becoming a very long frustrating week!!

and yes the OBC from the TA is as an apology for in short 'lack of communication'

thank you to everyone who threw in their positive 2 cents and support and to those not so supportive...life's not always puppies and rainbows so we need you around to try to bring down the house - love ya all the same!

Thanks. I really try to stay calm and understand mistakes happen however it was becoming a very long frustrating week!!

and yes the OBC from the TA is as an apology for in short 'lack of communication'

thank you to everyone who threw in their positive 2 cents and support and to those not so supportive...life's not always puppies and rainbows so we need you around to try to bring down the house - love ya all the same!

I'm glad this is being resolved to your satisfaction.:) Too bad it happened in the first place. Enjoy your next cruise.

If I were you, I'd just ignore Thetrail. There's no cure for stupid. :rolleyes:

If it was me, I would be all over my TA. Even if they did not cause this, they should have realized that the room only sleeps two. That is part of the value of going through a TA.

I have to agree with you, that's why people book with a TA.even if it was the cruise line your TA should be going to bat for you.

I'm happy you resolved everything.

Edited by Midwestgal

I had an issue with a room that I booked through RC. I requested a room with a pullman and a sofa bed as I have a boy and a girl. When we got to the room there was no pullman. I went to guest services to see if maybe the pullman was so well hidden that I had been mistaken. I was not. I was not happy because this had been the one thing that I was very specific about. I never lost my cool but I was told that the manager would contact me later. We were in a D1 and they had no rooms available in a higher category. They offered us a second room but it was not close enough to our current room to put the kids in and hubby and I just like to sleep together. The room attendant offered to separate the beds for the kids and let us sleep on the sofa bed - uh, mama paid for this trip, mama is sleeping in the comfortable bed.

They ended up bringing a rollaway bed to our room. Our daughter slept and the rollaway and our son on the halfway pulled out sofa bed.

Of all my cruises, this was the least enjoyable because of the time I spent standing in line at Customer Service. This was the cruise where my daughter ran up a $140 charge in the arcade. I was hoping the they would just throw us a couple of hundred dollard of OBC to cover that.

Much to my surprise I received a call from the manager of Guest Services informing me that we would receive a certificate good for 35% future cruise credit. Uh...OK...Thanks!

I'm telling you all this because I then had a pretty good chunk of my next cruise paid for. So now I had something to look forward to!

Based on my experience, I think you got a pretty good deal and now you will have a future cruise to look forwar to!

So if it's any cruiseline that sounds like the TA screwed up and is making restitution.Has RCI ever contacted you back

My thoughts exactly - no way RCI would pony up OBC for any other cruise line - it would be limited to their line. Adding 2 & 2 I come up with TA was the one at fault. JMHO:D

Seriously. When you by a car no matter what the sales agent says you make sure that your are getting what you pay for

When you booked the trip I am sure you made sure the flights were 100 percent for sure. So what did you do about making sure about your cabin. Like you can not see your cabin number and room and see what it looked like. Seriously

You must be one of those people that does not like to take responsibility.

When I travel I know my

Flight number

Seat number

Were on the plane (not near bathrooms)

Hotel room ( not near elevators pop machines or boiler rooms)

Cabin number. Were on ship and how many square feet and picture

What car I rent. They too always provide a picture and how many people and luggage I does accommodate

I am responsible for my money. Not someone else. You will learn

Seriously. . .

When I travel I know my ....... Hotel room ( not near elevators pop machines or boiler rooms) ..... You will learn

Seriously, you know your hotel room (other than a general category) before check-in ?

If you use a travel agent they are s'posed to handle these things, if you do it yourself then of course it's your chore, to each his own.

You will learn, yes, to be not so judgmental, I wanted to say smarta$$.

Seriously, you know your hotel room (other than a general category) before check-in ?

If you use a travel agent they are s'posed to handle these things, if you do it yourself then of course it's your chore, to each his own.

You will learn, yes, to be not so judgmental, I wanted to say smarta$$.

Yes seriously I do make sure I know. I have had bad rooms in the past and now I know how to make sure that it does not happen again. Wether I make my own arrangements or use a travel agent. There are ways. Like I said it is my money. Not my travel agent

Not the cruise line or the hotel or airline. I am responsible for it and I can't make excuses . There are ways to make sure that you get what you want. I am responsible no one else to blame if things go wrong It is called taking responsibility not passing the buck to blame

You are either 'GodLike' or Psychic if you can "know your room before booking..." unless you only stay in hotels you have visited before--

wish we all had the powers of responsibility that enables you to be so in control as are you.

Wait --did I say Psychic ? or Psychotic?

Please do NOT confuse responsibility with control. Control is an illusion-- why, I wonder, do you feel the need to confuse the 2?

i don't fault the OP at all. When we took our first cruise, we didn't have a clue and naturally relied on the TA at the AAA. That's how it worked in 1996. We booked a room based on price, no internet shopping. Since then, we are obviously experienced and savvy picking our cabins. Now, I don't rely on the TA for anything other than running the credit card so I can get some OBC.

I've run across some of those online TA's, even with the big agencies, who are subcontracted work at homes sitting in their bedroom office in their PJ's. When you talk with them ask about the weather and where they really are located. You'll be surprised.

I've walked out onto the pool deck on the first day and heard someone in front of me exclaim "Look Marge, there's a pool". So there are some who book a cruise and cabin in the dark or just rely on the TA, who may never have cruised themselves, to pick for them.

So, there's something fishy about the cruise line booking 3 into a 2'fer. I'd be sleeping on the floor in front of the service desk until till they helped fix it.

Edited by cruzincurt

My thoughts exactly - no way RCI would pony up OBC for any other cruise line - it would be limited to their line. Adding 2 & 2 I come up with TA was the one at fault. JMHO:D

It could be that RCI made the mistake but the the TA didn't catch it so they are providing their OBC as compensation for their part in this fiasco. :D

i don't fault the OP at all. When we took our first cruise, we didn't have a clue and naturally relied on the TA at the AAA. That's how it worked in 1996. We booked a room based on price, no internet shopping. Since then, we are obviously experienced and savvy picking our cabins. Now, I don't rely on the TA for anything other than running the credit card so I can get some OBC.

I've run across some of those online TA's, even with the big agencies, who are subcontracted work at homes sitting in their bedroom office in their PJ's. When you talk with them ask about the weather and where they really are located. You'll be surprised.

I've walked out onto the pool deck on the first day and heard someone in front of me exclaim "Look Marge, there's a pool". So there are some who book a cruise and cabin in the dark or just rely on the TA, who may never have cruised themselves, to pick for them.

So, there's something fishy about the cruise line booking 3 into a 2'fer. I'd be sleeping on the floor in front of the service desk until till they helped fix it.

If this were a first time cruiser I would agree....but as it turns out this is an experienced cruiser.

If I were putting myself and two orher folks in a guarantee you can be darn sure I would have checked the cabin/coding as soon as I saw the cabin Number assigned. I am sorry RC wasn't able to provide an onboard solution. However, if I had been the OP you can be certain I would have insisted the TA provide copies of every communication (invoices/phone logs, etc) to backtrack and see where the original error was made and who should have caught it!

If this were a first time cruiser I would agree....but as it turns out this is an experienced cruiser.

If I were putting myself and two orher folks in a guarantee you can be darn sure I would have checked the cabin/coding as soon as I saw the cabin Number assigned. I am sorry RC wasn't able to provide an onboard solution. However, if I had been the OP you can be certain I would have insisted the TA provide copies of every communication (invoices/phone logs, etc) to backtrack and see where the original error was made and who should have caught it!

From what I can see this was the OP's second cruise. I am not sure that having completed one cruise qualifies someone as an experienced cruiser. Secondly, if someone books a guarantee, then it is RCI that assigns the cabin is it not? If RCI assigned a cabin for two to three people who is at fault? I, like you, would have checked out as much as I could about the cabin as soon as I received the cabin number. But people learn from experience. And I am sure the OP learned from this one.

Edited by Ocean Boy

It boggles the mind that RCI does not have a computer system in place that puts up a red flag when you have more passengers in a cabin than the cabin can accommodate:confused:

I believe that RCI owns this. They dropped the ball when assigning the cabin.

We're talking about Oasis here- you can bet that they paid a pretty penny for the 3rd person in the cabin...to sleep on the floor and then a roll-away...I would have been livid that RCI allowed this to happen during the cabin assignment.

Edited by Wilda

I'm glad this is being resolved to your satisfaction.:) Too bad it happened in the first place. Enjoy your next cruise.

If I were you' date=' I'd just ignore Thetrail. There's no cure for stupid. :rolleyes:[/quote']Or stupid and ignorant:rolleyes::rolleyes:

We were booked in a cabin that only held 2 but there was 3 of us. Once I noticed (prior to the cruise) I called Royal and was moved to a different balcony cabin. From the hump where ALL of my family was to one of the most forward balconies. When I calmly told them that they should not have allowed the booking to go through and the cabin was not convenient since our family was all mid ship they moved us to a JS midship. Took a lot of CALM talking and no demanding but Royal came through.

Princess did the same. TA booked us in a cabin 4 would not fit. Once again I noticed before sailing and called the TA. Princess offered us an upgrade from a standard balcony to the Vista Suite :eek: One bathroom with a shower AND a Jacuzzi tub and another with the toilet & sink. To top it off a butler and fully stocked free mini bar (ya it was in 2000 before cut backs).

The later was our first cruise so I ALWAYS check as soon as I have my reservation that the cabin is what I wanted and expect.

BonVoyage

Dawna

From what I can see this was the OP's second cruise. I am not sure that having completed one cruise qualifies someone as an experienced cruiser. Secondly, if someone books a guarantee, then it is RCI that assigns the cabin is it not? If RCI assigned a cabin for two to three people who is at fault? I, like you, would have checked out as much as I could about the cabin as soon as I received the cabin number. But people learn from experience. And I am sure the OP learned from this one.

Possibly I misread it....but I thought somewhere along the way OP indicated they had sailed a decent number of times.

Edit:

Per OP signature this was the second cruise of this year.

Every past cruise I've booked straight through RC or my local sit-down TA. this was a big group that I was not the planner for.

Random...does anyone remember the Nordic Prince? Thats where my RC cruising days began....hate for it to end on the Allure.

Edited by skiiergirl

Wow, I can't believe how many people want to blame the passenger for this one. I'm all for charging people with taking responsibility when a duty to act is black and white. But when a different duty applies to each person depending on __________, then who am I or you to judge? The results are certain to be unfair, as some will be charged with responsiblity and others won't!

To illustrate here:

You book a GTY for 3. RCI assigns a cabin for 2. You should have consulted the applicable deck plan, discovered RCI's error and brought the error to RCI's attention before embarkation IF:

a. You received the cabin assignment 75+ days pre-cruise;

b. You received the cabin assignment 14-75 days pre-cruise;

c. You received the cabin assignment 2-14 days pre-cruise;

d. You received the cabin assignment within 48 hours pre-cruise; or

e. You received the cabin assignment at the pier.

You may or may not be awarded +/- "responsibilty points" for:

a. How you received the cabin assignment (online Cruise Planner before you completed and printed boarding pass, online Cruise Planner by elective login after you completed and printed boarding pass, direct notice from RCI, direct notice from TA);

b. Your cruise experience (1st time, 2nd-5th time, 6th+, Diamond Plus);

c. Your relationship with RCI (direct booking, through TA, as part of a group);

d. RCI presentation of deck plans (different versions for different dates of sailing, RCI website woes);

e. Your computer usage (user, non-user: rely on phone/mail communications to/from RCI or TA);

f. Your unique circumstances impacting pre-cruise attention (accident or illness, family/friend accident/illness/death, work or school issues, natural disaster, travel leading up to cruise, etc.); OR

g. Any other factor that reasonably impacted your duty to act!

And just to put it another way....

A duty of responsibility is based on the average person's response to the same or similar situation. It's often analogized to "C student behavior." So just because an A student might personally involve themselves with every detail, large and small, of their travel arrangements does not mean their behavior sets the bar!

(Please don't take offense by this example, OP--I'm definitely not saying you behaved like a C student here! :D)