Which airline and why?

travellovers2

We need to fly to Tokyo from the U.S. next year. I have not made reservations because we're trying to decide which airline to take.

We have the option of flying from Orlando to Atlanta, Dallas, Chicago, Toronto and LAX. We have talked to several people and they all say to go from Atlanta. The flight to Tokyo is 13.45 hrs long. But if we fly to Toronto, it would be 11.45 hrs to Tokyo.

Which airline did you take to get from the US to Tokyo?

Why did you make that choice?

Which airport in the US did you fly out of?

For me, the most important first consideration for a trip that long is the frequent-flyer miles - you'll earn a heck of a lot of miles, in some cases enough for another flight, so I would consider what airline's program will give you miles that will be most use to you in the future.

For me, the most important first consideration for a trip that long is the frequent-flyer miles - you'll earn a heck of a lot of miles, in some cases enough for another flight, so I would consider what airline's program will give you miles that will be most use to you in the future.

That's a good point.

We need to fly to Tokyo from the U.S. next year. I have not made reservations because we're trying to decide which airline to take.

We have the option of flying from Orlando to Atlanta, Dallas, Chicago, Toronto and LAX. We have talked to several people and they all say to go from Atlanta. The flight to Tokyo is 13.45 hrs long. But if we fly to Toronto, it would be 11.45 hrs to Tokyo.

Which airline did you take to get from the US to Tokyo?

Why did you make that choice?

Which airport in the US did you fly out of?

The price is likely to be similar regardless of which airline you choose, so the determining factor in making your choice will most likely be the convenience of connecting flights since you can’t fly non-stop from Orlando to Japan. Other factors would include the safety and service reputation of the airline involve, and as already mentioned, frequent flyer miles might be another consideration.

Do you have any preferences?

I'm biased so I would recommend Singapore Airlines. I understand they fly LAX to Tokyo Narita.

Personally, when my family spent 2 years in California, we always flew with SQ. We took the direct non-stop Singapore-LAX flight.

Ditto. And its on A380 to boot :)

SIN is consistently rated as one of the top airlines in world.

The only airline that we are signed up with to get miles is AA and USAirways (thinking they were going to merge). Mostly because we like their routes to Europe. We have flown Alitalia, United and Alaska Air, but we don't want to make our choices based on our miles because we prefer nonstop whenever we can get it. Actually, we flew with Air Canada to Montreal this summer because AA did not have a nontstop. Usually we have to drive to Miami to get nonstops to Europe, if not, then we fly out of Orlando in whichever airline has the best times for us.

I will look into Singapore Airlines from LAX. It would be interesting. We like to explore different things, that's why we choose our cruises based on itinerary and not what category we are.

Thank you :D

We fly out of Dallas to get to Tokyo and take a flight on American Airlines.

I prefer to go with one flight.

Keith

Lucky you!!! :D

That's one of the routes we are considering if we go with AA. We are also noticing that a lot of the flights are only allowing 2 hrs layover. I don't feel comfortable with 2 hrs especially because it says that you have to change terminals.

We came back from Rome a few weeks ago and had to change planes in Charlotte. Well, we had to go through customs, get our bags, take our bags back to be checked in then go outside to go through security again. Thank God our flight was on time getting there.

Edited by travellovers2

My only experience flying where you want to go was with the above and in business class. Over to Asia was Air Canad and I loved it. Home was a combination of United and AC as they are Star Alliance partners. The United flight had true lie flat beds just like AC but in a slightly different configuration. I give AC the nod for service and food but I'd fly United's business class again in a heartbeat, at least on the routing we had. Being able to wake up after a good sleep on the plane made a world of difference to us.

The only airline that we are signed up with to get miles is AA and USAirways (thinking they were going to merge). Mostly because we like their routes to Europe. We have flown Alitalia, United and Alaska Air, but we don't want to make our choices based on our miles because we prefer nonstop whenever we can get it. Actually, we flew with Air Canada to Montreal this summer because AA did not have a nontstop. Usually we have to drive to Miami to get nonstops to Europe, if not, then we fly out of Orlando in whichever airline has the best times for us.

I will look into Singapore Airlines from LAX. It would be interesting. We like to explore different things, that's why we choose our cruises based on itinerary and not what category we are.

Thank you :D

You will get full qualifying United miles if you fly on Air Canada or Singapore Airlines. Air Canada's business class is the best of the bunch. They have no First Class so business is their top class and includes fully lie flat beds. In economy I would take any Asian airline and especially Singapore Airlines above any North American airline.

We have flown over to Asia. From New York the last 3years via marital(Tokyo airport).....with United, American Nd delta......and absolutely do not recommend unoted......the seats are small, the TVs are in the aisles, not individual, the food is inferior.....we came home on Cathay Pacific and found it to be superior to all of them....price wise if you start early enough and shop , they are and can be about the same.....but United is by far the worst....American and delta were ok.

I looked into Singapore airlines, but they have the 3 - 5 - 3 seating chart and I really don't want to sit in a row of 3 for such a long flight. We prefer the 2 - ? - 2. We always try to get the 2 seats by the window. On our last flight to Italy, we sat in the middle because all the 2 seats by the window were booked. It was okay, but we missed the view of arriving in Venice. We definitely want to see the view arriving into Tokyo. :D

I am cutting it down to AA from Chicago or Dallas. I just need to make sure the layover is enough time. I don't know why AA gives us a layover of 50 minutes in one of the options. Doesn't make sense.

I flew into/out of O'Hare once, big big airport. I also flew into/out of Dallas once and the turbulence both times was horrible. People say that there is always a lot of turbulence around the Dallas area. How true is that?

Which one do you prefer? Dallas, Atlanta or Chicago?

Edited by travellovers2

I understand what you are saying about seat configuration, but there is no comparison between Singapore and AA in terms of the standard of service, quality of meals, etc. Singapore and Emirates are our favourite airlines.

I understand what you are saying about seat configuration, but there is no comparison between Singapore and AA in terms of the standard of service, quality of meals, etc. Singapore and Emirates are our favourite airlines.

We have never had a bad service or meal on AA, now US Airways is another story. I would love to try out Singapore and Emirates, but then I think of sitting in the middle of 3 and that takes me back to AA ;)

I have to sit in the aisle and my husband likes the window. It would not be too comfortable to go with someone in the middle. :D

Out of ORD, you have much wider choices to get to Tokyo on some VERY good airlines.

And if you are looking for very decent service at a fantastic price, Turkish airlines flies out of ORD for less than $900. 8 hour layover in Istanbul (4PM until midnight) so you might get to see something you otherwise may never see.

JAL flies NON STOP from ORD for about $1200, Cathay (another one of the BEST airlines in the world) flies one stop Hong Kong with a 13 hour layover so if you have never been able to see Hong Kong and the light show at night, might be an option. Price on Cathay is less than $20 more than Singapore AND you get all those nice AA miles, as you do with JAL.

And to get REALLY exotic both Etihad and Qatar fly through the Middle East. Qatar is supposedly the only 5* star rated airline in the world. ASTOUNDING service both on the ground and in the air. Business class on almost all Middle Eastern airlines includes limo pickup service to/from the airport. But Etihad and Emirates are not far behind in standard of service. The Middle Eastern airlines have A LOT of money (most are state owned) and "keeping up with the Jones's" is part of their national price.

6 hour layover in Doha, only 2 in Abu Dhabi. BUT if you ever had a hankering to see any part of the Middle East, you can usually arrange to stay for an extra day with no upcharges except during holidays. US Passports have either visa or arrival or no visa at all. The flights are about $140 MORE than Singapore and Cathay BUT Etihad very, very often has sales to Abu Dhabi from both JFK and ORD. And from Abu Dhabi to places in the Orient, the coach fares are VERY cheap. Sign up for Etihad emails. There are even AA codeshares which are flown on Etihad planes but are sometimes cheaper. And your Etihad miles can be sent direct to AA.

Whatever you decide, enjoy!!!

You will get full qualifying United miles if you fly on Air Canada or Singapore Airlines. Air Canada's business class is the best of the bunch. They have no First Class so business is their top class and includes fully lie flat beds. In economy I would take any Asian airline and especially Singapore Airlines above any North American airline.

Sorry, I have to jump in by casting by vote for SIA's Business class. :)

Here is a recent flight video report: (SQ 322, London to Singapore)

Here are some pictures:

http://guitar123foodandtravel.blogspot.sg/2013/10/singapore-airlines-sq-322-flight.html

If you ever fly SIA Business Class out of Singapore, you should try their Lobster Thermidor using 'Book the Cook' service.

Some pictures of the Lobster Thermidor:

ap89kz.jpg

Fit for a King!

2d8ey6r.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

LeapZip

pin.gifPage rank

pointer.gif

I highly recommend spending the extra $$ and flying Business Class. It is a world of difference upfront with the flat bed seats and the Asian flights are VERY long, especially heading to Asia.

The best deal out there for business class is if you have an American Express Platinum card. If you do, AMEX offers you 2 business class tickets for the price of one. Yes, you are paying FULL FARE Business Class, BUT, your companion only pays taxes. For instance, my wife and I are leaving New Years Day from Melbourne, FL to Singapore on Delta via Atlanta.

The TOTAL cost for TWO was $7300. That's just a tad over $3500 per person for BUSINESS CLASS on a major airline with flat bed seats. We bought our tickets when we booked the Celebrity cruise about four months ago. And already the fare as doubled.

We use the International Business Class Air Program at AMEX on all of our over the ocean trips.

Only certain airlines participate. Delta and Cathay Pacific are two of about six carriers.

I do agree with other comments that you just can't beat Singapore Air for comfort. I have found CHINA AIRLINES, via Taipei is usually the cheapest and they participate with the AMEX program.

My favorite airline in the world for luxury is Emirates.

I hope this is helpful.