Dietary Restrictions and Anytime Dining

GreySkies

I will be going on my first cruise after being diagnosed with Lactose Intolerance. I specifically chose the Anytime Dining so that I can go whenever I want. I also know that the menu for the next night will be shown to me to decide what I would like to eat.

My question is: Are dietary restrictions handled well through Anytime Dining or will I need to switch to a Traditional time?

Thanks,

My youngest daughter has the same problem as you do. We had no issues what so ever with anytime dining. Just had to avoid any dish with a rich creamy sauce and she was good to go. When in doubt just ask your waiter about a selection you may be unsure of. You won't be the first nor near the last cruiser with diatary issues.

If you have only just discovered you are lactose intolerant, it really is no big whoop. I am lactose intolerant as is my son, we were diagnosed at about one year old (when being weaned to cow's milk). So I would assume you have never restricted your diet for most of your life. While is can be uncomfortable in the tummy, it really isn't a big deal. Unless of course you are at scout camp with my son and he threatens to drink milk before lights out ;)

You should eat exactly like at home. Avoid cream sauces and soups. There is absolutely no need to do anything different than you normally would. And if you did eat that ice cream cone, well, as you know it is only a bit of discomfort for a short while. Sometimes the ice cream is worth it ;) You can get pills to bring with you that will ease any discomfort before you eat that ice cream as well.

Just read your menus carefully, you don't have to involve anyone but yourself to make food choices.

Yes to everything mentioned by the previous posters. You should speak with the Head Waiter on the first day. Once seated just mention to your waiter that you wish to speak to the head waiter about diet restrictions. It's done all the time. They can advise what items contain lactose in their prep and which are ok. They can also show you the next evening's menu if you wish. The wait staff is very good at this.

Yes to everything mentioned by the previous posters. You should speak with the Head Waiter on the first day. Once seated just mention to your waiter that you wish to speak to the head waiter about diet restrictions. It's done all the time. They can advise what items contain lactose in their prep and which are ok. They can also show you the next evening's menu if you wish. The wait staff is very good at this.

Also use the same Anytime dining room each evening so you can work with the same headwaiter throughout the cruise.

No need to sit at the same table, as anything you pre-selected with the headwaiter will be kept by your cabin number, not table number.

If you wish to eat at one of the specialty restaurants, go there the evening before to speak with the headwaiter there.

If you need guidance in the buffet area, ask to see the headwaiter there.

If you are going on Princess excursions which include a meal, notify the tour desk early in the cruise to inform the tour provider of your needs.

You may be able to avoid this situation entirely. Go to your local pharmacy and get a product called "Digestive Advantage." It's an over the counter remedy. One tablet a day will tame your lactose intolerance. It works for me.

You should eat exactly like at home. Avoid cream sauces and soups. There is absolutely no need to do anything different than you normally would. And if you did eat that ice cream cone, well, as you know it is only a bit of discomfort for a short while. Sometimes the ice cream is worth it ;) You can get pills to bring with you that will ease any discomfort before you eat that ice cream as well.

Please be aware that everyone's reactions to lactose intolerance are different, fall on a spectrum, and vary by food.

I used pills with a homemade ice cream class I was in, had the equivalent of 1 small scoop, and was in lots of pain and sicker than I've been in a long time as a result. As a result, I have learned that ice cream must be lactose free for me to enjoy.

I do not, however, wish to go through anything like that again, particularly while on vacation.

Archived