My TA Nightmare

2boyzmom

This whole situation stinks. It would leave a bad taste in my mouth. Anyway, now I know not to trust TA's from going belly up.

I dealt with a TA my first two cruises, ended up the most expensive ones we ever had too. Well the second TA went belly up a few months after our second cruise. If that would have happened earlier and we missed the boat, I would probably have been soured from ever cruising again.

I like the book direct, got more control over my reservation.

Jon

Edited by NH Cruisers

I was through the same thing with the same agent. We ended up having a 3 way call with agent and NCL. It ended up costing $74.00 more and I did not get the $50.00 OBC or bottle of wine I was promised by the TA, but all is straightened out. NCL knows all about him and seemed to me to bend over backwards to try to get things corrected.

The problem with that is that NCL has not originally offered that rate, that's probably why you chose to deal with a middle man and not with NCL directly. I do feel for you and hope that you'll get somekind of resolution from NCL but I don't necessarily see why they should honour the fare promised to you by their (now unreliable proven) ex-partner whose intention was to use part of his comission for your payment - however I do feel that they should give you at least their own public fare that was in effect on your booking date.

Without looking, I'd guess that there are a lot of rules in NCL's T&C that make their recent actions "by the book" even though the customers are the ones taking the hit here - for example reservations are bound to be cancelled if all the required payments are not paid in time to NCL, etc. :(

Here is the problem- I called NCL on 10/8 after receiving an e-mail that there may be a problem with this agent. NCL verified my final payment and said I could pay them directly. I told them to please put that in their notes. Now- boom- they cancel my reservation and refuse to honor the discussion. When I saked if my disucssiin with NCL was in the notes, the agent did not give me an ansewr yesterday. I am not new to cruising and a platinum NCL memebr. I am hoping they will step up and stick by me here- it would mean alot to me and my future cruising with NCL.

The problem with that is that NCL has not originally offered that rate, that's probably why you chose to deal with a middle man and not with NCL directly. I do feel for you and hope that you'll get somekind of resolution from NCL but I don't necessarily see why they should honour the fare promised to you by their (now unreliable proven) ex-partner whose intention was to use part of his comission for your payment - however I do feel that they should give you at least their own public fare that was in effect on your booking date.

Without looking, I'd guess that there are a lot of rules in NCL's T&C that make their recent actions "by the book" even though the customers are the ones taking the hit here - for example reservations are bound to be cancelled if all the required payments are not paid in time to NCL, etc. :(

I don't think that NCL should be required to offer the fare that the travel agent offered but I do think they should offer the fare that was in effect at that time or the current fair (whichever is less). From what I understand, they advertise this particular agent on NCL's website as being a reputable travel agent. He's still there, in fact (I just checked).

I don't see any disclaimer on their website warning people to do their own investigations of these agents although people probably should. I think it's fair to say that if you find a travel agent on there, most people will assume that the agent is someone you can trust. :(

Additionally, if they can send out a mass email cancelling everyone on a chartered cruise, they can do the same for those who are bumped off of a cruise because of a untrustworthy agent. Some communication should have taken place before the trip was cancelled. I was just booted off the Pearl and they are giving us until Nov. 12 days to call in and make changes. They could have given these people some amount of time to contact the cruise line to try to remedy the situation.

Edited by cruisecritiquer

Hey folks, this wonderful family was on my cruise in March. They were very active in our roll call, meet and greet and were very fun to cruise with. I have fingers crossed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Donna- thanks for your support. I only saved a few hundred dollars from steering away from my regualr agent. Never again!! Hope Mom is well :)

I don't think that NCL should be required to offer the fare that the travel agent offered but I do think they should offer the fare that was in effect at that time or the current fair (whichever is less). From what I understand, they advertise this particular agent on NCL's website as being a reputable travel agent. He's still there, in fact (I just checked).

I don't see any disclaimer on their website warning people to do their own investigations of these agents although people probably should. I think it's fair to say that if you find a travel agent on there, most people will assume that the agent is someone you can trust. :(

Additionally, if they can send out a mass email cancelling everyone on a chartered cruise, they can do the same for those who are bumped off of a cruise because of a untrustworthy agent. Some communication should have taken place before the trip was cancelled. I was just booted off the Pearl and they are giving us 12 days to call in and make changes. They could have given these people some amount of time to contact the cruise line to try to remedy the situation.

Required- no- but ethically- yes. They should stand by their discussion with me from 10/8. Do they monitor/tape calls?

Required- no- but ethically- yes. They should stand by their discussion with me from 10/8. Do they monitor/tape calls?

I understand the difference between ethical and legal. I work in the legal field. You know...I see that some people are really stuck on legal vs. ethical. Many have an opinion that "legally" they don't have to do this, that or the other. I get NCL cheerleaders. I have never been a fan of pom-poms but I do like NCL's product and I appreciate that usually I can book a wonderful cruise for my family and have it go along without incident.

However, while their business is to make money, their business is also to keep customers returning so they can make more money. So...it would behoove them in my humble opinion to consider the implications of their decisions (at times) to only take action in as much as the law requires them to do so.

I know there are many times that NCL comes through on here and I am so appreciative of that. However, many more times the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing which just exacerbates an already bad situation.

I really do hope it works out!

Imagine if all businesses only did what was LEGALLY required of them 100% of the time. I bet proponents of the "they don't have to do that because it's not legally required" crew would change their tunes very quickly. Most people who take this point of view just haven't been legally screwed over yet.

I understand the difference between ethical and legal. I work in the legal field. You know...I see that some people are really stuck on legal vs. ethical. Many have an opinion that "legally" they don't have to do this, that or the other. I get NCL cheerleaders. I have never been a fan of pom-poms but I do like NCL's product and I appreciate that usually I can book a wonderful cruise for my family and have it go along without incident.

However, while their business is to make money, their business is also to keep customers returning so they can make more money. So...it would behoove them in my humble opinion to consider the implications of their decisions (at times) to only take action in as much as the law requires them to do so.

I know there are many times that NCL comes through on here and I am so appreciative of that. However, many more times the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing which just exacerbates an already bad situation.

I really do hope it works out!

Imagine if all businesses only did what was LEGALLY required of them 100% of the time. I bet proponents of the "they don't have to do that because it's not legally required" crew would change their tunes very quickly. Most people who take this point of view just haven't been legally screwed over yet.

Thank you for your opinion. I am a huge advocate for NCL and hope them come through. I would hope that being a loyal cruiser would mean something to them....

Thank you for your opinion. I am a huge advocate for NCL and hope them come through. I would hope that being a loyal cruiser would mean something to them....

I have always been as well. I was ranting about them at work this morning and people were :eek: because they've never heard me say anything negative about NCL before. ;)

I feel so bad for you and this situation. It's just not right and they need to do something about it especially since they already told you it was handled, initially let you think it was Amex, and then you come to find out it's corporate. Isn't corporate the ones that should be making the situation better instead of worse. :(

...but not loyal enough to book through NCL and avoid this type of situation :confused:. It's okay to find a TA and save a few hundred on the booking but it's not okay for NCL to expect you to pay their rates when your "bargain" TA bailed and left you hanging...Amazing!!!

I have read all the posts. NCL should offer them the fare that they booked under(less any TA rebate). The problem may be if it was a TA established group fare but NCL should allow that as well. As long as NCL gets paid what it originally agreed to there should be no issue. and frankly if there is no TA involved NCL is saving some money and should be willing to allow the person whatever benefit the TA offered. IMHO.

...but not loyal enough to book through NCL and avoid this type of situation :confused:. It's okay to find a TA and save a few hundred on the booking but it's not okay for NCL to expect you to pay their rates when your "bargain" TA bailed and left you hanging...Amazing!!!

NCL has this TA listed on their website so I don't think that POV is amazing or disloyal. I don't think you can call it disloyal if you go through their website to find an agent that they recommend.

http://www.ncl.com/agent-locator

A great travel agent has the expertise you can count on to provide you with the best possible options for your specific wants and needs. As experts, they can create an unforgettable vacation experience that you may never have dreamed possible. And one call does it all. Your travel agent does all the work. You have all the fun.

There’s also great value in working with a travel agent. Saving money is not just about price, it’s about getting more out of every precious moment of your vacation – and a travel professional can help you do just that. From helping you choose the best air and ground transportation, to suggesting a once-in-a-lifetime shore excursion.

So now if you’re ready, get set to go. Find a travel professional near your home with our Travel Agency Locator.

I had a situation similar to this many years ago. It involved a Carnival cruise and a real live travel agent, before there was such a thing as on-line agencies or direct booking with cruise lines. It was a major cruise only agency operating out of Florida and not some local fly by night company either.

The company went belly up and we found out that our $600 deposit, paid via check made out to the TA, was never sent to CCL.

We did rebook through another agency but at the prevailing rate at the time of the rebooking and we had to cough up another deposit.

We still deal only with a TA but now pay only by credit card which is posted directly to the cruise line. I assume the arrangement is for the TA to be reimbursed by the cruise line for their commission but that's not my concern.

Incidentally, the TA that we rebooked with was the same individual that we dealt with at the company that went bust. We loved dealing with her and felt that she was in no way responsible for the loss of our deposit. In fact she was the one who called us personally to advise us of the situation and promised to "make it up to us".

This happened about 20 years ago and we still deal with her to this day. She has more than made it up to us over the years.

The moral of this is not all TA's are crooks and make sure your credit card transactions are posted directly to the cruise line and not the TA. If one TA won't do it that way, find one who will.

...The moral of this is not all TA's are crooks and make sure your credit card transactions are posted directly to the cruise line and not the TA. If one TA won't do it that way, find one who will.

This.

Any travel agency that holds onto your funds is suspect. Your deposit and payments should show as charged by NCL. Plus if you're using an NCL Mastercard, you won't get double points otherwise unless.

We've used the same TA for a lot of cruises. We would never consider giving any TA funds in the hope that they would be forwarded to the cruise line. The TA just asks us what credit card we want the money charged to.

I guess I'm surprised that this wouldn't be the way they all operate.

Interested to understand why the OP used an agent instead of NCL. Everyone knows the risks of middle men and if it fails you cannot blame NCL. We always book directly with NCL and book the cabin we won't at the first point not wait and hope for upgrades or price drops etc. holidays are important to us and if you want it correct book direct and if there are issues then you have the right of complaint.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

[quote name='L3GWG']Interested to understand why the OP used an agent instead of NCL. Everyone knows the risks of middle men and if it fails you cannot blame NCL. We always book directly with NCL and book the cabin we won't at the first point not wait and hope for upgrades or price drops etc. holidays are important to us and if you want it correct book direct and if there are issues then you have the right of complaint.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app[/QUOTE]

I don't see the point in trying to rub salt into the wounds. [IMG]http://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/33.gif[/IMG]

[quote name='cruisecritiquer']I don't see the point in trying to rub salt into the wounds. [IMG]http://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/33.gif[/IMG][/QUOTE]

I don't see the point in blaming NCL for an outside agency's failure or expecting NCL to honor pricing that they did not originally offer.

[quote name='2boyzmom']I am a huge advocate for NCL and hope them come through. I would hope that being a loyal cruiser would mean something to them....[/QUOTE]

Personally, this is what rubs me the wrong way - just a little, but still. I don't think that the customer being a loyal cruiser or not should have any effect on how this kind of issue is handled - inexperience with a specific cruise line or with cruising in general should be no reason to receive any lesser service in an unfortunate case like this.

There are perks that come with the loyalty but I don't think that the resolution in this kind of issue should be one of them. I too am a Platinum member in Latitudes program but I wouldn't dream of getting any special treatment because of it if my TA had gone belly up.

Also, I don't mean to be rude but loyal and experienced customer should know the risks of dealing with TAs instead of the cruise line directly - playing the loyalty/experience card repeatedly only results in the not-so-nice replies seen in this thread already. (My $0.02)

I am one of the folks who was dealing with this TA. It took some doing, but ultimately NCL did right by us. My suggestion to the OP is to call the corporate number directly and deal with them, do not try to go through regular customer service. I really hope it all works out for you, believe me, I understand how much this stinks.

As for the posters being so judgmental about those of us who used this TA...enough already. Obviously we feel lousy and embarrassed about it and came here for support and suggestions, not finger-wagging.