Cruise Elegant Attire?

Herbaltees

I am trying to understand why so many cruisers dislike the suggested attire on the cruise. "I hear/read things like Khaki's and button shirt are fine. No Jacket or tie is necessary". That is not formal nor elegant.

What is the objection to wearing true elegant or formal attire? (an evening gown, black tie or full suit) Is it that Carnival has much more of a casual atmosphere, and a true formal evening seems out of place? Or is that people just aren't into dressing as formal as in the past?

I am trying to understand why so many cruisers dislike the suggested attire on the cruise. "I hear/read things like Khaki's and button shirt are fine. No Jacket or tie is necessary". That is not formal nor elegant.

What is the objection to wearing true elegant or formal attire? (an evening gown, black tie or full suit) Is it that Carnival has much more of a casual atmosphere, and a true formal evening seems out of place? Or is that people just aren't into dressing as formal as in the past?

Most people seem to prefer to have a choice. On formal nights, we prefer not to dress up and do not go to the MDR. We could go to the MDR as we always "spruce up" for dinner, but think it's nice to leave the MDR for those who have chosen to go formal.

I stopped dressing up several years ago. I am not comfortable in them and don't want to spend money on clothes that I have no other use for. When I did dress up I went straight back to the cabin to change clothes. I choose nice clothes to wear but not formal clothes. Also for those that fly, with the airlines charging for bags now it would cost many people more money to carry those extra clothes and shoes. For the cruises that require that we fly we plan to eat elsewhere on the "formal" nights. I really enjoyed our last NCL cruise which offered one dining room that didn't require changing clothes for dinner. That was a big help when flying overseas.

I stopped dressing up several years ago. I am not comfortable in them and don't want to spend money on clothes that I have no other use for. When I did dress up I went straight back to the cabin to change clothes. I choose nice clothes to wear but not formal clothes. Also for those that fly, with the airlines charging for bags now it would cost many people more money to carry those extra clothes and shoes. For the cruises that require that we fly we plan to eat elsewhere on the "formal" nights. I really enjoyed our last NCL cruise which offered one dining room that didn't require changing clothes for dinner. That was a big help when flying overseas.

This exactly. Dressy, yes, Formal, not so much. Takes up to much room, and I'm not comfortable in it anyway. I do enjoy seeing what everyone else is wearing, and looking at the great photos too. Yes, you can go formal, you will look wonderful, and I will compliment you on your lovely wear. I'm just not going to do it, and that should be just fine. It's your cruise, enjoy, as I do!

When I could check two suitcases with my airline for no extra fee I always travelled with a suit; at $50 per suitcase (a lot more if your bag is over the weight limit :mad:), a blazer and khakis is about my limit.

The dress code is basically just to give you an idea what others are wearing. Once you review that, you basically apply what YOU normally wear in those settings. It's that easy.

The current redesign of the dining environment being considered by Carnival should include that the MDR will always be cruise casual and the steakhouse will be cruise elegant. Those who present themselves for dinner at the steakhouse properly attired will be served the current menu at a nominal $ 25 per person service fee. A coat and tie in the steakhouse would be required for men. Women would be permitted to wear slacks and an infamous "sparkly top."

Ships without steakhouses will be strictly cruise casual.

Thanks for the replies, I guess I wasn't looking at the expense of traveling with the extra items. I do enjoy seeing everyone dressed up. It kind makes the atmosphere a little more lively, at least to me.

I actually chuckled at the "infamous sparkly top" comment. I didn't realize we women were that obvious! ;)

Most people seem to prefer to have a choice. On formal nights, we prefer not to dress up and do not go to the MDR. We could go to the MDR as we always "spruce up" for dinner, but think it's nice to leave the MDR for those who have chosen to go formal.

We do the same.

I think it's just changing times. When we started cruising over 30 years ago, it was common practice that dressing for formal nights was sort of special, and out of respect for the Captain of the ship, who was considered your host, you dressed accordingly. After dinner, particularly on those evenings, you stayed dressed in your formal/semi-formal attire all night. On a transatlantic crossing on the QE2, my DH needed a tux every night, and I need a formal/semi-formal dress each night. Maybe that wasn't a lot of work!!!

Now, things are less formal and more casual on some cruise lines. I must admit I was a little disappointed when dress codes began to change, but not any more. It's so much easier to pack black/brown dressy pants with mix and match dressy tops. I've mellowed over the years, for sure.

I have noticed though that there are a few people who push the suggested dress "to the limit" nowadays, and wear what they want. If that's what they feel is appropriate, that's their prerogative. It's like when employers started to allow "business casual" in the workplace. You wouldn't believe how some of my associates came to work. It comes down to this I guess, as long as everyone enjoys their cruise and has fun on their vacation, that's all that really matters.

Years ago, you can reserve & rent the entire tux/formal wear outfits on the ships - have yet to seen them lately on NCL, RCI or CCL.

For a tropical ITN to the Caribbeans or similar places, it just doesn't make sense as the demographics on the ships had been shifting to a "younger" and diverse crowd.

As others noted, it's fine if we sail from homeport and we can bring as much suitcases as we WANTED to for free (just tip the porters) but flying to a port is another story, assuming that your checked luggage isn't lost - we fly with a 22" carryon and a personal bag (oversized tote for Mrs.) and not going to wear a tux to walk thru TSA at the airport as it ain't going to be packed with the Oxford shoes (size 13.)

At most, a solid color long-sleeve shirt w. tie, dress pants and maybe, a dark navy blazer, that's about it on my part. I admire those with 2 tux plus suits every evening ...

A true elegant or formal attire might cost more than some Carnival cruises. A nice frock, fine, but true elegant or formal, more on other lines or even cruising days gone by. That's being said, wearing 7 gowns and 7 cocktail dresses on a 7 night cruise was amusing to a few:D

Archived