Booked my first balcony!!!

mitsugirly

This brought a smile to my face. :D

Sometimes I almost wish I drank coffee LOL. Do they have coffee makers in the balcony rooms? (Since the hubby does drink it).

I really hope we get to see something from the balcony...dolphins would be awesome!

This will definitely throw a "different" perspective on my next review. :p

When you are on your balcony looking for sea critters while at sea , keep your eye on the ships wake .

There you will find all types of sea beasties .. Dolphin , flying fish , ect. ;)

This brought a smile to my face. :D

Sometimes I almost wish I drank coffee LOL. Do they have coffee makers in the balcony rooms? (Since the hubby does drink it).

I really hope we get to see something from the balcony...dolphins would be awesome!

This will definitely throw a "different" perspective on my next review. :p

Yep, coffee makers in the room. Also great for brewing tea - then serve over ice..ahhh. ;-)

When you are on your balcony looking for sea critters while at sea , keep your eye on the ships wake .

There you will find all types of sea beasties .. Dolphin , flying fish , ect. ;)

We won't be able to see the wake from our balcony. It's in the front. ;)

Yep, coffee makers in the room. Also great for brewing tea - then serve over ice..ahhh. ;-)

The hubby will like that he'll be able to make his coffee in the room and enjoy the balcony. Awesome.

One other thing...I think I have one of those balcony's that is...like enclosed sorta? I'm not sure what they are called. It's at the front of the ship, I think in the section that looks like it's a cut out hole in the ship instead of the ones that actually stick out and are open??? It's on the 8th deck.

Here's a picture I found online to show you what I mean (it's not the one that's circled, that just happen to be the picture I found).

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSbxDIk0BKmhJ89HPqTtrA2HljGM_71C2T_JU_1glpvlbOwEJ0u

Can anyone tell me if these are decent rooms? I was thinking I had read from someone once before that they liked the room because people couldn't look in and also that it blocked the wind a little bit better than the open balconies.

I'm wondering if they are still all open from the floor to ceiling with the glass 1/2 wall? Or is it just a "hole in the wall" type of room that doesn't have the glass wall that you can see out of from in the room? Hmm, now I'm starting to wonder. :o

Kim, Kim, Kim! First of all CONGRATULATIONS and WELCOME to the Wonderful World of Balcony Cabins!! They are simply amazing. Now, little girl is way too smart to get herself into trouble on that balcony. However, to ease Mommy's mind, you may want to tie a bell, like a jingle bell on the handle of the sliding door. That way in the event she decides to venture out, you will hear her before she gets out the door. This is a well deserve vacation for you and your family and I wish you all the best! Bon Voyage, but I will catch up with you again before you sail away. :cool:

Kim, Kim, Kim! First of all CONGRATULATIONS and WELCOME to the Wonderful World of Balcony Cabins!! They are simply amazing. Now, little girl is way too smart to get herself into trouble on that balcony. However, to ease Mommy's mind, you may want to tie a bell, like a jingle bell on the handle of the sliding door. That way in the event she decides to venture out, you will hear her before she gets out the door. This is a well deserve vacation for you and your family and I wish you all the best! Bon Voyage, but I will catch up with you again before you sail away. :cool:

Hehe. :D Thanks for the wonderful idea about the bell. That is an awesome idea and since it's Christmas, I'm sure I can find a neat Christmas bow with some jingle bells on them. Thanks!

(P.S. shhhh, don't mention it on fb so the hubby finds out). :p

Hehe. :D Thanks for the wonderful idea about the bell. That is an awesome idea and since it's Christmas, I'm sure I can find a neat Christmas bow with some jingle bells on them. Thanks!

(P.S. shhhh, don't mention it on fb so the hubby finds out). :p

Don't mention, what? I already forgot about it!! Haha Glad you like the bell idea. I think it will be an easy fix while looking festive. Hubby won't even wonder why you have a bell with you if he should find it beforehand. ;)

Don't mention, what? I already forgot about it!! Haha Glad you like the bell idea. I think it will be an easy fix while looking festive. Hubby won't even wonder why you have a bell with you if he should find it beforehand. ;)

Our packing consist of: Me packing about a month ahead of time (and thinking about getting started on it today) and the hubby packing the night before leaving after I follow him around the house every time he gets up yapping in his ear "Are you headed upstairs to pack yet???" LOL He pays absolutely NO attention to ANY details. I guess I'm lucky in that way. :D I could pull anything over on him.

Heh speaking of beasties…

My husband somehow confused a duck with a sea turtle. He kept trying to convince me it was a fuzzy duck, but smaller than a normal duck.

It was the first beast he saw in st Maarten.

We joked with him while snorkeling to watch out for the ducks

Which we did see, sea turtles…it was amazing.

Enjoy the balcony, Oh and the doors are not easy to open

Even my husband had a seriously hard time.

To answer your question about the balcony - honestly you probably won't even realize that the wrap-around is there! They sometimes call these different names, like cove balcony, or hull balcony - but the one you have simply has hull covering part of the very edge of the balcony. You will still have the glass wall with the wooden railing on top, so you'll still be able to enjoy every thing in view when you're sitting down.

FWIW - my avatar was taken on a cove-style balcony in an OS - it's essentially the same as the balcony you will have, except it's twice as long. Trust me when I tell you that you will never even notice the wrap-around part, and it will do wonders to cut down on the wind when underway!

:D

To answer your question about the balcony - honestly you probably won't even realize that the wrap-around is there! They sometimes call these different names, like cove balcony, or hull balcony - but the one you have simply has hull covering part of the very edge of the balcony. You will still have the glass wall with the wooden railing on top, so you'll still be able to enjoy every thing in view when you're sitting down.

FWIW - my avatar was taken on a cove-style balcony in an OS - it's essentially the same as the balcony you will have, except it's twice as long. Trust me when I tell you that you will never even notice the wrap-around part, and it will do wonders to cut down on the wind when underway!

:D

Well, since I won't have anything to compare it to, I guess it will have to do either way. :D

I'm glad to hear it will still have the glass wall and railing though. I was hoping I would be able to open the curtains and see out into the water.

I'm all for cutting down the wind for sure. I have really long hair and it doesn't also go good with a meal. :p

Wow Kim congrats on the balcony and I think I can safely say that great minds think alike, I've just done exactly the same thing!!!!

We're sailing on Sun in Alaska in September. I've just upgraded from a picture window to and aft balcony as a suprise for my husband to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary (but just like you its for me tooooooooo ;))

I did have to cough up however, but as we spent our honeymoon in a caravan I've been waiting for this moment for a long time. Hope you have a wonderful trip and can't wait to read your review.:D

It will be interesting to read your review of the balcony. Will you feel it was worth it? I don't know about you, but for me it always was.

I know it is sad, but I always hang out on the balcony on the last morning of the cruise and watch us come back in and tie up. It is about 5:30 am. It is now more or less a tradition for me.

Now that I'm thinking about it...the ships pull in to NOLA with the front of the ship facing the bridge right? Then when they pull out they turn around? Is that correct or do I have it backwards? I will have to look at the deck plans to see where my room is located (all these years of cruising and I still don't know what the difference is between star board and ______ um what's that other side? :eek:). I'm wondering if our room will be facing the port dock as we pull away and we should do sail away in the room. But then again if the ship turns around, we wouldn't be there facing that way for too long. :p

:)

It may be easier for you to remember, facing the bow (front), port is left. They both have 4 letters in the word. Obviously starboard would be the right side. As a small kid that is how I learned it.

I read further on and noticed someone already posted this.

Edited by NH Cruisers

Yep! that's exactly it. Enjoy that balcony!

:)

It doesn't look too bad. I can't wait to see it in person.

Wow Kim congrats on the balcony and I think I can safely say that great minds think alike, I've just done exactly the same thing!!!!

We're sailing on Sun in Alaska in September. I've just upgraded from a picture window to and aft balcony as a suprise for my husband to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary (but just like you its for me tooooooooo ;))

I did have to cough up however, but as we spent our honeymoon in a caravan I've been waiting for this moment for a long time. Hope you have a wonderful trip and can't wait to read your review.:D

Congrats to you too! I have never been a fan of cold weather (and it just snowed here over night and I'm hating it), but I would like to do an Alaskan cruise just for the experience and to see all of the animals that you normally don't see on a Caribbean cruise. I have always said that when I ever do an Alaskan cruise, I would HAVE to have a balcony for sure. I really wouldn't want to hang out in the cold on the pool deck just to see animals and the luxury of being able to step back in to the room when it gets too cold would be worth it. Maybe some day.

Happy 25th to you. What a great surprise for the hubby (and you). :D

Bon voyage and look forward to another review.

Here are few pictures of a hulled balcony on the Gem (which is also a Jewel-class ship). http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1754684#14

I don't remember any of the check-in personnel mention the cabin category.

Thanks for the link to the picture. It is a little more of a wrap around the outside than I had pictured. :cool: So I guess we'll see. Of course, like I said, I have nothing to compare it to so I'm sure I'll enjoy it. I haven't even been inside a balcony room before. I was able to visit someone's mini-suite on our Star cruise, but they didn't have a balcony and it was just a wall of windows...which was still nice. So this will be an entirely new experience for us.

P1000641.JPG

It almost looks like it's enclosed. You sure that top part is open? :p

It will be interesting to read your review of the balcony. Will you feel it was worth it? I don't know about you, but for me it always was.

I know it is sad, but I always hang out on the balcony on the last morning of the cruise and watch us come back in and tie up. It is about 5:30 am. It is now more or less a tradition for me.

It's definitely going to be a different type of review for me this time around. Hopefully I will find it was worth it. But then again I didn't pay too much extra for it ($220) so it will be fine I'm sure either way.

I never get up early enough to see us pull in to anything. :eek: I'm not a morning person to begin with and I love the cruises that only have 3 ports instead of 4 during a 7 day cruise. I feel so rushed all the time. I'm a night owl and normally don't go to bed until around 3am or some times later. When I cruise, I have to completely adjust my schedule and it's so hectic for me. :o

This brought a smile to my face. :D"

There us a little bit of Kevin in us all. Glad it made you smile.

Forgot to tell you that I am so excited to know you have one semester left after this one. So happy it is close for you!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

There us a little bit of Kevin in us all. Glad it made you smile.

Forgot to tell you that I am so excited to know you have one semester left after this one. So happy it is close for you!

I'm so excited too! I just took my second exam for this class and did well. Two test down and 1 more to go and I'm done. I'm sitting pretty at the moment. My final is 80 questions/points and I can actually miss 51 questions and still pass. :D My anxiety and stress level just decreased a lot. :p

Let's get this thing over with!

I actually get 5 weeks off of school for winter break and I couldn't be happier!

I'm so excited too! I just took my second exam for this class and did well. Two test down and 1 more to go and I'm done. I'm sitting pretty at the moment. My final is 80 questions/points and I can actually miss 51 questions and still pass. :D My anxiety and stress level just decreased a lot. :p

Let's get this thing over with!

I actually get 5 weeks off of school for winter break and I couldn't be happier!

5 weeks off!!! What a nice break for you! Is next semester actual classroom or are you doing clinicals?

I broke my toe Monday, I actually managed to do it up good. An interarticular displaced fracture. :( really needs to be pinned but I said no way my cruise leaves in 3 weeks and I will snorkle. :D Good thing I work in an orthopedic clinic so they understand me.

5 weeks off!!! What a nice break for you! Is next semester actual classroom or are you doing clinicals?

I broke my toe Monday, I actually managed to do it up good. An interarticular displaced fracture. :( really needs to be pinned but I said no way my cruise leaves in 3 weeks and I will snorkle. :D Good thing I work in an orthopedic clinic so they understand me.

Oh gosh, hate to hear that you broke your toe. Ouch. I broke my hand while on my 2010 Epic cruise while I was in St Maarten. I snorkled 2 more days with it like that. :D Yep, I'm a trooper!

Yep, same classes as always but actually more clinical days this time around. :o

Ahh I remember now reading you broke your hand. I figure it is just a toe once the swelling goes down it will be easier to walk normal and hopefully without this fashionable Velcro rocker shoe!

More clinical days and less classroom days sounds like a good mix!

We booked our first for Dec. 2014, too. We got tired of scrounging for quiet places to read when the mood struck. And it's a splurge. We looked at it this way: by using deals and points it was the same price we would pay for an interior if we didn't have points to use. :)