post cruise questions Venice, Florence, Rome

lv9777

After reading through the forum it seems like the train is an easy way to get aorund Italy. We are ending our cruise in Venice and considering staying another 3-4 days. Would like to take the train from Venice to Florence, spend a night there and then proceed to Rome for 2 nights. Is this workable for a couple that does not speak the language? Any suggestions about where to stay or what to do in Florence? I like having more time to explore Rome than just an 8 hr stop. any advice is appreciated.

Absolutely doable. That is why we are spending two weeks doing exactly that next June. Most of Europe is very user friendly by train.

As to where to stay, we don't know your budget or tastes. Reading down the board you will see many recommendations. TripAdvisor is a superb place to get reviews and recommendations.

Train travel in Italy is absolutely easy to do for non-Italian speakers!!! The Trenitalia site has an English set of pages (just press on the British flag at the upper right corner). Every once in awhile, you'll get an Italian page, but I've found those odd pages easy to decipher. I've done Milan-Venice, Rome-Florence, Florence-Pisa-Cinque Terre, all without issue.

The only thing on train travel that I would suggest is that EACH OF YOU is comfortable handing YOUR OWN BAGS. It works so much easier when you act as your own Sherpa and don't rely on your SO to lift your bags for you...

Edited by slidergirl

Yes very easy. We did Venice/Florence/Rome by train a few years ago. You can either buy your tickets beforehand on the trenitalia website (which you can view in English) or buy your tickets at the station. I advise the former though if you know the dates you are traveling, as the trains can sell out beforehand.

All signs are in English and Italian and most station attendants will speak English, plus any people working in tourist areas in the cities you are visiting.

In Florence If you're only there for one night like we were, I'd visit the Ponte Vecchio bridge, The Duomo, the square where the replica of David is located (can't remember the name) the Acedemia to see the real statue, the Uffuzi gallery, then just wander around the streets and lane ways taking in the beautiful architecture. There is also a lovely marketplace where you can buy leather goods and local wares, can't remember the exact location but it has a famous statue of a boar at the front, which if you rub it's snout it gives good luck :)

Yes great advise regarding the bags. The rule we use when traveling the trains is we need to be able lift our bag over our heads ourselves, as most train carriages only have storage on racks above the seats, otherwise they are at the end of the carriage out of your eyeline. Plus there are high steps you need to lift your bags up, and there are no porters at stations, you need to be able to do it yourselves.

We took the Eurostar from Venice to Florence. Spent two days there. You might consider staying two nights in Florence.

We stayed at the Hotel Ballesteri, which is in the inner city, right on the Arno and not expensive.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187895-d203902-Reviews-Hotel_Balestri-Florence_Tuscany.html

Yes very easy. We did Venice/Florence/Rome by train a few years ago. You can either buy your tickets beforehand on the trenitalia website (which you can view in English) or buy your tickets at the station. I advise the former though if you know the dates you are traveling, as the trains can sell out beforehand.

All signs are in English and Italian and most station attendants will speak English, plus any people working in tourist areas in the cities you are visiting.

In Florence If you're only there for one night like we were, I'd visit the Ponte Vecchio bridge, The Duomo, the square where the replica of David is located (can't remember the name) the Acedemia to see the real statue, the Uffuzi gallery, then just wander around the streets and lane ways taking in the beautiful architecture. There is also a lovely marketplace where you can buy leather goods and local wares, can't remember the exact location but it has a famous statue of a boar at the front, which if you rub it's snout it gives good luck :)

Piazza della Signorina for the replica of David, and also I think there is a Medici palace or museum in the same square which looks interesting, ( looked it up, Palazzo della Signorina) and there is a leather market near the church of San Lorenzo, not far from the Duomo. Not sure if that's the one you're thinking of. If you like.gizmos and gadgets, the Galileo Museum was interesting.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Piazza della Signorina for the replica of David, and also I think there is a Medici palace or museum in the same square which looks interesting, ( looked it up, Palazzo della Signorina) and there is a leather market near the church of San Lorenzo, not far from the Duomo. Not sure if that's the one you're thinking of. If you like.gizmos and gadgets, the Galileo Museum was interesting.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

They are two different markets. The one you are thinking of is San Lorenzo, the larger of the two. It is also adjacent to the excellent Mercato Centrale, where you will find a photographic array of produce, meats, cheeses, pastas, breads, pastries!!! The other one, with the bronze boar, is the Mercato Nuovo, aka the Mercato del Porcellino. It is the older of the two, but is much smaller. This one now sells mostly low-end goods and little tourist trinkets. Not the place to look for leather goods. But, if you are adventuresome and want to try a local delicacy, there is a little stand there that sells lamprodetto sandwiches (tripe!!!). You'll see lots of locals standing around the stand, eating those sandwiches!!