Bit of a Blog – Adventure of the Seas – Westbound Transatlantic – 4th November 2013

I couldn't resist grabbing pics on the way through the galley

IMG_2907.jpg

IMG_2908.jpg

Love the fact they have an 'understanding' about the English and how they like their food!! :D

Such a shame you didn't get the range of GF that seems to be available :(

Post cruise I visited with my BFF Patty and her husband Scott who live in VA.... I was so happy to visit with friends somewhere I had never been before...

Patty's parents are buried in Arlington Cemetery and I was extremely grateful to be taken there so I could pay my respects to those who served so valiantly. Earlier this year I had visited the American Cemetery in Draguignan, in the South of France. I had been told the story of Lattie Tipton who had given his life on the day of the Allied Landings in the south of France, his actions earning him 2 purple hearts. His best friend had been with him on that day and I was bemused at the coincidence when I came across HIS grave :

IMG_2971.jpg

We happen to be there to witness the changing of the honour guard.

IMG_2972.jpg

IMG_2973.jpg

IMG_2977.jpg

I am extremely proud to say that I have a cousin who served at Arlington. I was privileged to be allowed to visit the room where these soldiers are honoured

IMG_2981.jpg

Edited by NorbertsNiece

Patty and I also tour the United States Holocaust Museum. I found this incredibly emotional. I was able to locate the name of the town where my father lived and from where many Jews were deported to be murdered. It was etched on a large window with the names of many, many other places.

It was a very brief but wonderful visit. In the 2 days I saw much and on day 2 we walked 4.5 miles!! Patty, Scott, her brother Gary and the rest of the family made me so welcome. She made Thanksgiving Dinner for me!! They took me to a restaurant that has a GF menu too!

Washington airport at night....

IMG_3022.jpg

Next Blog task..... get those Compasses scanned.... I'll be back.....

Linda,

Thank you for the fun pictures of D.C.! Even though we live just 25 miles away (and was that Dulles Airport at night? We live 5 miles away!), we never go. It must be all those years of commuting into the District. We need to have company to take us! ;)

We are going on AOS on the 2/9 sailing from San Juan, and your blog has helped us to virtually experience some of the ship. Thank you so much for taking the time to write and photograph everything (or most everything). This was an enjoyable read!

Linda,

Thank you for the fun pictures of D.C.! Even though we live just 25 miles away (and was that Dulles Airport at night? We live 5 miles away!), we never go. It must be all those years of commuting into the District. We need to have company to take us! ;)

we rarely go into the city unless someone visits. It was a wonderful visit but way too short!!

Linda,

Yes, that was Dulles : IAD : :)

We are going on AOS on the 2/9 sailing from San Juan, and your blog has helped us to virtually experience some of the ship. Thank you so much for taking the time to write and photograph everything (or most everything). This was an enjoyable read!

Lots more pics from the B2B I did out of San Juan on Adventure last year in the link in my sig below.... I've avoided posting the sig too many times for ease of reading.

Edited by NorbertsNiece

Great Blog! Very informative. We are looking at the westbound TA on IOS for November, but did have a concern regarding the seas during the crossing. Is it typical to have several rough surf days on these types of cruises? It looks like you may have had only one bad day on this trip.

Sorry, meant to ask - How long did you have to queue for on the day of the immigration?

Looked from the pictures that it took a looooooooooong time!

As a non-USA citizen the line was loooooong..... over an hour..... I got there at 7am ish and was ashore after 8am.

Great Blog! Very informative. We are looking at the westbound TA on IOS for November, but did have a concern regarding the seas during the crossing. Is it typical to have several rough surf days on these types of cruises? It looks like you may have had only one bad day on this trip.

We had had bad weather the weekend before we left then a calm few days before rough weather the cruise before ours..... our first day was wobbly then real smooth thereafter...... the Bay of Biscay is notorious for its potential for rough seas.

af697ae1-f31a-4594-8be3-8c375b23f239.jpg

This is the line I joined for immigration at 7am

IMG_2904.jpg

As I turned the corner in the MDR the line went through the galley.....

IMG_2905.jpg

......and out the other side.....

IMG_2906.jpg

I couldn't resist grabbing pics on the way through the galley

IMG_2907.jpg

IMG_2908.jpg

I am relieved that I have not been in trouble. I love the photos.

Tim.

• 2 weeks later...

I am looking for specific information on the menus above day 7. I know that Royal has names for the menus and each night has a brief history of that name printed on the menu. As I have been on several 7 night voyages, I have the names of the first 7 nights. I also found these online somewhere. Does anybody have the names of the additional nights that are used on the longer, transatlantic cruises? I was hoping to find some photos of those menus also, but haven't been able to locate them using the search feature.

Linda, did you happen to get these?