For those who tip extra ontop of auto tips.

Tutankhamen

I bring thank you cards to give any additional tips in. I write a note of thanks and include the cash in with it. For the Steward I leave it on the bed the last night when we go to dinner, for dining staff I hand deliver. I also tip room service as they deliver things. I never have the need to tip extra to bar waiters, etc.

Almost always slip the room steward a few extra bucks at the end of the trip unless they were so bad that they made my experience awful, which was exactly one time ever. They do a great job, one that I surely could never do. Same with dining room staff. They work hard to make our vacation fun, they USUALLY deserve a little extra. You always have to tip the bag guys a little bit, at least if you want your bags to get to your room at a decent time and in the same condition you last saw them. I don't tip the bar people, as they probably get a cut of everything they sell and that is a good bit of money already. Just like on land, reward over the top service and let the people in charge know how good it was. Autotipping covers their salaries but standout service should earn the staff more.

FlyingCruiserNJ

We always do to, but on our last cruise, we had a $20 in the top drawer that DH and brother in law kept passing back and forth, no one would accept it, so I put it in the drawer when we went to dinner.

On the morning of packing day, I noticed it was missing as it was there the night before. Thought DH took it, He thought I took it, as it was there for a good week, planned to add it to cabin stewards tip. I guess he wanted his tip early:cool:

Same for us. Usually tip the room steward on the first day. Does it make a difference? I believe so. We travel with our best friends who do not tip extra and they are always remarking that we seem to get better service from the steward than they do. We always have balcony cabins next to each other so we also have the same steward.

How does first day tipping work? Do you give them the whole tip they will be receiving, just on Day 1 instead of last day? Is it an extra tip? If it is just a little something extra, do you let them know that and to expect more later?

I am not one for tipping people on the front side. It would make me feel like I was a mobbed up gangster trying to grease the system.

That said, I am not against anyone doing this. Just not something I feel comfortable doing.

Again, to each their own.

I have been on a lot of long cruises , and got to meet a lot of crew and officers . They have been great to us, and remember are names. They always take care of us . the last 2 cruises we had lobster on the lido deck. One time there were 4 guys on the paradise , next was the miracle 2 couples . We always tip very good. Always take care of the 1 that serve you and they will take care of you when cruising.

Same for us. Usually tip the room steward on the first day. Does it make a difference? I believe so. We travel with our best friends who do not tip extra and they are always remarking that we seem to get better service from the steward than they do. We always have balcony cabins next to each other so we also have the same steward.

We like to tip our wait staff on the first night. Don't know if it really makes a difference but love the extra effort we think they might give! :D

I've only been on one cruise so far, but I was thrilled with our room steward. She made made me feel like royalty. At the end of the week I penned a thank you sign with her name in some snazzy calligraphy and set it above the extra cash we left. Wasn't much money, like $20 or something. I hope she liked the sign though. For room service we generally just gave them a five because I didn't feel like peeling off singles. Laziness I guess. We brought $50 in singles and $50 in fives just for tips. Made life easier.

Not to digress too much, but never contemplated cash to bartenders.

When tipping a bartender on your bill, who gets that specific $2 (or whatever is left)? The bartender who made it/rang me up or is it pooled?

I presume the latter and will probably bring cash for my next cruise. My preference is to find a good bartender and visit that bartender.

Good bartender qualifications = extraordinary margarita pouring skills with a preference for strong pours who resides on the lido or Red Frog pub :-)

I mostly give additional tip if the person interacts with me like a good friend. I also show my appreciation when they go out of their way to help me. (7 funnel cup drinks on sail away, from 3 decks below). Also, I'll tip extra if I get the impression somebody is having a rough day (as long as they're not giving me attitude).

Most of the time, additional tip is face to face cash, though I have left cash behind for stewards.

I always bring thank you cards with me and when I meet the various staff I make sure I write their names down correctly along with where they are from. I inform them that it is important to me that I not only send out letters to the cruiseline when things go terribly wrong but I like to also do so when things go well. I have almost always felt I have gotten impeccable service (with the exception of one waiter trying so very hard but always messing up and one cruise - not carnival - where we just got a bad draw of staff). The last night of the cruise I hand out thank you cards with extra tip in them. And yes I have sent letters to the higher ups saying how wonderful so and so was and specifically why.

I always bring thank you cards with me and when I meet the various staff I make sure I write their names down correctly along with where they are from. I inform them that it is important to me that I not only send out letters to the cruiseline when things go terribly wrong but I like to also do so when things go well. I have almost always felt I have gotten impeccable service (with the exception of one waiter trying so very hard but always messing up and one cruise - not carnival - where we just got a bad draw of staff). The last night of the cruise I hand out thank you cards with extra tip in them. And yes I have sent letters to the higher ups saying how wonderful so and so was and specifically why.

I think that everyone should do what you do

We always slip the steward and DR staff a little extra. Have always been lucky to have terrific service. On one European cruise, we had a charming Polish young man as steward. When in Poland we asked what his favorite beer was so we could try it. We smuggled a few bottles back on board and discreetly gave it to him. He was so excited, it made our day.

We always slip the steward and DR staff a little extra. Have always been lucky to have terrific service. On one European cruise, we had a charming Polish young man as steward. When in Poland we asked what his favorite beer was so we could try it. We smuggled a few bottles back on board and discreetly gave it to him. He was so excited, it made our day.

You maybe made his day. good for you. One time we smuggled some lobster for the room steward . they don't get lobster on the ship

Edited by SCOT

Always a couple of bucks for room service and dock side porters (though they work for the port, not for the cruiseline), in rare cases more for room stewards or particularly friendly bartender. Never removed auto-tips; never experienced truly exceptional service or bad service either. Auto tips seem sufficient for level of service generally received.

I generally like to tip extra to those who have earned it. i would like to tip say the Camp Carnival counselors but there are lots of them on some ships. If one stands out I try to do it, without the others knowing. Otherwise, waiter, steward and anyone who helps with my luggage.

I have tipped anyone who has done something special, for example i surprised my wife with a vow renewal last year on the Legend. The wedding/resturant manager, waiter who did the service and cake service.

I didn't tip the captain for doing the service as the wedding planner manager said that the Captain did not need the tip or expect it.

Tip shore excusion people, especially any scuba crew members as that is common place.

always better just to hand them the money.

I hand a couple of dollars to the room service people....I think they can actually keep this and don't have to put it in a pool. I always bring thank you cards and write a note and thank the person for their great service, such as the room steward. I include a small Canadian pin as I have seen some wear them. We gave our pins out to 4 terrific waiters in Crooners lounge at the end of our cruise and the Bar Manager came and asked if we had any more as he really wanted one lol. I also will acknowledge that person to the higher ups so that they are recognized.

We write thank you notes on the envelopes with the extra tip inside for the waiters and stewards. We've never tipped extra to bartenders until this past cruise. Our MDR bar waiter really went above and beyond and we felt he deserved extra.

I'm curious as to what everyone considers above and beyond or excellent service from your room steward? I always hear everyone talking about getting to know their steward and how wonderful they are but on all my cruises I have barely seen my steward except for possibly on the first day where they have made a point to say hi and to be perfectly honest I'm happy with that. As long as my room is clean and tidy (we don't ever leave it a mess) and our beds our turned down when we need them we are happy. We do of course enjoy a cute towel animal as much as the next person :)