Transfer with Princess

sjmbruce

I am taking my second cruise with Princess next year and will be on Northbound cruise to Alaska. I didn't do any transfers with Princess on the last cruise.

How do they work in general (time off boat, luggage, ect)? Specific to an Alaska transfer from Whittier to Anchorage, where are passengers dropped off? Of course we'll eventually want to be at the airport, but the flight we're probably going to book doesn't leave until 10pm and we'd like to have the afternoon in Anchorage if possible.

Thanks!

Princess will likely bring you to a convention center or other spot in Anchorage.

At the appropriate time they will then bring you from the convention center to the airport.

In the meantime, you can walk around and explore Anchorage.

Very smooth transfer process from Whittier to Anchorage.

You are dropped off at the convention centre in Downtown. Baggage is stored there - including hand luggage - and you will have shopping or exploring time before being transferred to the airport at the appropriate time.

Convention centre is very nice - TV, bathrooms, and if I recall correctly a drinks machine.

I found it to be a super efficient and painless process :)

Edited by Darcy15

We stopped at the convention center on a tour this summer. It's a nice set-up with secure area for luggage, restroom, big round tables with chairs, and there were some beverage machines. Across the street are a couple restaurants: a pub and a coffee shop, I think. There is shopping within in a couple blocks. Princess has tours you can book and then they'll drop you where you need to be at the end. We did a tour to the Wildlife Refuge and Alyeska Tram. Also, saw a lot of scenery along the way. Here's some pictures: Reguge, Tram, Pub and busses outside convention center. Sorry, I didn't take pictures inside the convention center.

DSCN0704.jpg.974bbbbd08ce0ea814fea380264b7d17.jpg

DSCN0686.jpg.f0e32df52ba47944fb05610959d6e619.jpg

DSCN0743.jpg.d574499656a65c93adc3f048d726f503.jpg

DSCN0759.jpg.38f1e5282f52266e1e7df679fe0193bf.jpg

DSCN0762.jpg.46ddb51f0db43cae637d50d865e3b130.jpg

Thanks to everyone for your help!

We stopped at the convention center on a tour this summer. It's a nice set-up with secure area for luggage, restroom, big round tables with chairs, and there were some beverage machines. Across the street are a couple restaurants: a pub and a coffee shop, I think. There is shopping within in a couple blocks. Princess has tours you can book and then they'll drop you where you need to be at the end. We did a tour to the Wildlife Refuge and Alyeska Tram. Also, saw a lot of scenery along the way. Here's some pictures: Reguge, Tram, Pub and busses outside convention center. Sorry, I didn't take pictures inside the convention center.

Thanks for sharing your experience and pictures! I am especially interested in the Wildlife Refuge. T

This will be a post cruise tour for us. It sounds like it takes the place of a regular transfer. It ends at 2:45, which would still give us some time in downtown Anchorage.

If we were to be dropped off at the convention center at 2:45 at the end of the tour, I wonder what transportation to the airport would look like. 2:45 at the airport (without any free time in Anchorage) seems a little early for a 10pm flight.

Thanks to everyone for your help!

Thanks for sharing your experience and pictures! I am especially interested in the Wildlife Refuge. T

This will be a post cruise tour for us. It sounds like it takes the place of a regular transfer. It ends at 2:45, which would still give us some time in downtown Anchorage.

If we were to be dropped off at the convention center at 2:45 at the end of the tour, I wonder what transportation to the airport would look like. 2:45 at the airport (without any free time in Anchorage) seems a little early for a 10pm flight.

Unfortunately, I don't know how late the transfers to the airport run. I was on a back to back, so we went back to the ship. It's a nice option to get to spend some time seeing other sites during the day, though.

We rented a car for the day in Seward. Avis was at the entrance to the port. Stopped the wildlife refuge, Aleaska for lunch, and a glacier for a short hike. Had a great crab leg dinner in Anchorage and dropped car at the airport. Rental was more than a day car would be in the lower 48, but the flexibility was great!