Which ship is for us?

AandBmom

I'm trying to book a family trip for my husband and I along with our 4 children and then some of our relatives. We've sailed Carnival 5x, Princess 1x and we're now looking to branch out and try something new. We'd like to do a Caribbean cruise in Jan/Feb. 2014. I'm looking for a ship that will keep the kids entertained. Things they can really enjoy doing. For example on Carnival in addition to camp they love the splashworks/waterslides, pools, 4D or was it 5D movie theatre, pool games, etc. Of course I'm looking at price, itinerary, departure port etc but i'm just wondering if some ships are more or less child family friendly? Our kids will be 9,8,4 and 3 at the time of sailing...Thanks in advance.

I'm trying to book a family trip for my husband and I along with our 4 children and then some of our relatives. We've sailed Carnival 5x, Princess 1x and we're now looking to branch out and try something new. We'd like to do a Caribbean cruise in Jan/Feb. 2014. I'm looking for a ship that will keep the kids entertained. Things they can really enjoy doing. For example on Carnival in addition to camp they love the splashworks/waterslides, pools, 4D or was it 5D movie theatre, pool games, etc. Of course I'm looking at price, itinerary, departure port etc but i'm just wondering if some ships are more or less child family friendly? Our kids will be 9,8,4 and 3 at the time of sailing...Thanks in advance.

Have a look at Freedom, Independence or Liberty.

Thanks. Any particular reason why?

Yes, they are very family friendly, full of activities for all ages, convenient ports. More reasonably priced than Allure/Oasis, which can be overwhelming ships.

Voyager-class ships would be good too (Explorer, Navigator, Adventure). Slightly smaller than the Freedom-class ships, but still action packed and family friendly.

I think that anything smaller would have less appeal to kids/families.

I agree with the three ships DonnaK mentioned above. Your children can enjoy Adventure Ocean (kid's program), as well as many other activities on this great class of ship. H2OZone is an interactive waterpark for kids, there is a poolside movie theater, a 3D movie theater, and the Dreamworks Experience (with characters from Shrek, Madagascar, and Kung Fu Panda).

Other activities include the FlowRider (surf simulator), rock climbing, ice skating, mini-golf, full-sized basketball court, even a boxing ring. Royal Caribbean is an excellent choice for a family cruise. :)

Definitely agree.

The Freedom class is full of activities and very family friendly (although my wife and I have sailed all three, and Freedom twice, without kids!). Oasis and Allure would be similar, but are typically (but not always) more expensive.

Lots of kids activities, Adventure Ocean, H2O Zone, etc. Should keep the kids busy, and still plenty of adult activities for you.

I'd second the previous recommendations for the Freedom class ships. We've been on the Freedom and the Independence. My son is 11 and we loved both ships. He did not lack for things to do, and the ship is lovely.

On to the Oasis next year, though. :-)

I agree with those recommending the Freedom class ships. The H2O zones on these ships will be a good selling point to the kids.

Other than the Freedom class, the next step up would be the largest cruise ships in the world in Oasis or Allure of the Seas.

Edited by sky0000547

I think Oasis or Allure would be best for the kids; there is just so much to do and see. BUT they do tend to be more expensive. When that increase is multiplied across more family members it can really add up. So if the budget is a part if the equation Freedom class ships would be next, with their flow riders and huge kids water/pool area. Then adventure class, which still has the ice rink and a good sized water area for the kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, please excuse all the typos.

Haven't done a Freedom class yet, but I think it would be hard to beat the Oasis or Allure for kids. Our Grandkids have cruised Carnival several times and enjoyed it but their favorite was the Allure and they're very excited to be boarding the Oasis in a few days. The Dreamworks characters are everywhere and there are a ton of kid's activities and areas.

With the ages of the kids, I agree with the Freedom Class ships.

I think I would wait for the Oasis Class until the youngest is a little older. I say that primarily because it can be so overwhelming and large and the Freedom class while still HUGE is easier to navigate. You won't have to walk 30 minutes to get to Adventure Ocean, etc. The only item missing activity from Freedom to Oasis is the zip line.

I loved my cruise on the Liberty. I have been looking at the 8 day Independence to the Southern ports for winter 2014 or 2015. But first, I do have to try the Allure :)

I'd mostly agree with this, but I'd limit it to Freedom of the Seas or Liberty of the Seas because they both offer Dreamworks activities which could be popular for your kids.

I think the H2O Zone could also be a hit with your kids.

Also agree...and so will the OP's family once they get a taste of the "Freedom Class" :D

I agree as well, especially since you get a lot of "bang" for your buck. My kids have been on quite a few cruises, but this last one on Freedom was by far their favorite. For us adults, the service was impeccable!