Entertainment on Regatta

Softball20

We are considering our first Oceania cruise this coming March. We've cruised most of the mass market lines (Celebrity is our favorite), but their South American itinerary looks amazing, and we've always wanted to try Oceania. I understand that O isn't known for their entertainment, which is fine, as we can take or leave the "production" shows. However, will we find things like a piano bar, or a jazz group, or a DJ/dancing venue on board?

Martinis has a piano player nightly

String quartet usually play nightly from about 6:30 to 9pm & during Afternoon Tea

They do have a band that plays a bit before & after the main show

The main show in the evening will vary, some nights will be production numbers but mostly single performers on the other nights, EG: classical guitarist, magician, singer etc..

I believe there is also entertainment after the show in Horizons ..

I am sure others will comment

Lyn

Edited by LHT28

Ditto to what Lyn said. However, just because Oceania doesn't shine with the after dinner shows (in general, but we have seen some we did enjoy) -- well, that doesn't mean there's nothing else!

There is, in fact, lots of music during the day depending on where you are.

And you can certainly dance at night if you wish. (We don't, I just have heard ...)

Mura

I heard this as well, over and over!! We took a trip on the Riviera last year and I must say we found the shows to be very nice and we went to 90% of them. I found the difference is the ships are small so the show lounge is small, one story and you sit rather close to a low stage, more like a nightclub or cabaret rather than a Vegas show lounge. I found the quality of the performers to be equal to all lines. Do not let the hype around the shows stop you. We had a great time and are going again in March for two weeks.

Please do not for a single moment imagine that the Piano Bar is a fun place. Not like anything we have seen on other Lines.

It is generally a European pianist playing Classical Music. On HA they have fun evenings at the piano playing everything from the 40's onwards. A great place for a sing a long. And generally packed out.

The answer generally given on here is that the music played is wonderful to listen to.....the reality is that seldom do you see anybody actually doing that.

Having said that we love Oceania and are booked again...but definitely not for the entertainment.

Brian

Please do not for a single moment imagine that the Piano Bar is a fun place. Not like anything we have seen on other Lines.

It is generally a European pianist playing Classical Music. On HA they have fun evenings at the piano playing everything from the 40's onwards. A great place for a sing a long. And generally packed out.

Brian

I guess you have not had Jerry Blaine on your cruises then ;)

Maybe the next one you will get lucky

The answer generally given on here is that the music played is wonderful to listen to.....the reality is that seldom do you see anybody actually doing that.

Having said that we love Oceania and are booked again...but definitely not for the entertainment.

Brian

We love the piano bars on HAL!

We are considering our first Oceania cruise this coming March. We've cruised most of the mass market lines (Celebrity is our favorite), but their South American itinerary looks amazing, and we've always wanted to try Oceania. I understand that O isn't known for their entertainment, which is fine, as we can take or leave the "production" shows. However, will we find things like a piano bar, or a jazz group, or a DJ/dancing venue on

If you want mass market entertainment Oceania may not be for you.The ships are very refined and what some call quiet especially after 11pm. Cruise on Oceania for a fantastic relaxing cruise with great food interesting well traveled people and interesting ports and you'll love it.

Rule of thumb

It's hit and miss

Go with low expectations and you will not be disappointed

Sounds like a good plan, but I guess we follow that rule on just about any ship. We're not looking for top notch entertainment, but it's nice to be able to listen to some music with a drink before dinner, and then find some entertainment/dancing with after dinner drinks.

The biggest difference we have seen between top of the line mainstream brands and Oceania is not the food, or even the entertainment, although Brian is quite correct that your idea of a fun place may be not what the majority of Oceania cruisers would think (especially if this includes hairy chest competitions and Elvis look-a-like contests).

The biggest difference is in the fellow cruisers. We find them more educated, more experienced in world travel, and what many would call more culturally refined (Please, no controversy on what refined should mean). At least that has been our experience, and as we vastly enjoy socializing on cruises, it is a huge difference for us.

Edited by billie5

The biggest difference we have seen between top of the line mainstream brands and Oceania is not the food, or even the entertainment, although Brian is quite correct that your idea of a fun place may be not what the majority of Oceania cruisers would think (especially if this includes hairy chest competitions and Elvis look-a-like contests).

The biggest difference is in the fellow cruisers. We find them more educated, more experienced in world travel, and what many would call more culturally refined (Please, no controversy on what refined should mean). At least that has been our experience, and as we vastly enjoy socializing on cruises, it is a huge difference for us.

Hairy chest competitions and Elvis look-a-like contests? I was asking about Oceania, not Carnival. We are just curious about what to expect in the evenings after dinner.

Hairy chest competitions and Elvis look-a-like contests? I was asking about Oceania, not Carnival. We are just curious about what to expect in the evenings after dinner.

You are right on that. I suppose I was describing Carnival and not many of the other mainstreams.