Au Visa

DP

After my cruise to Australia my flight to the US does not leave until the next day. This means I need to stay at a hotel overnight. Do I need a Visa? If so what kind and how much will it cost?

After my cruise to Australia my flight to the US does not leave until the next day. This means I need to stay at a hotel overnight. Do I need a Visa? If so what kind and how much will it cost?

check with your TA but you would need a visa to enter and depart australia

You will need an Electronic Travel Authority before you enter Australia. Much the same as those travelling on an Australian passport need an ESTA to enter the USA.

You can apply and pay on line,and it is issued immediately and electonically attached to your passport .. This is the official government website.. Cost $20AUD. Beware of alternative commercial sites..

https://www.eta.immi.gov.au/ETA/etas.jsp

Phil

Great advice Big Kev.

Everyone needs a visa or an ETA to enter Australia. If you have a Canadian or US passport and have no criminal convictions, you can apply online for an ETA from the official Australian government site:

http://www.eta.immi.gov.au/

ETAs are usually issued virtually immediately. There is no charge for the actual ETA, but there is a AUD$20 service fee.

Once you have the ETA, you don't need to extend it or anything extra to stay overnight. Just ensure the right details for your whole stay are given when you apply.

You were very wise to ask this question. You might like to post the responses on your roll call for the cruise.

Very few North Americans realise that they need a Travel Authority to visit Australia by cruise ship, and, like you, think a visa of some sort is required only if staying overnight or longer once they get here.

Many also don't realise that this is an electronic form of visa and that you don't actually get a physical piece of paper. The application process can easily be done online as suggested by others. Your TA can also do this but will probably charge a fee. Your TA should have advised you about getting an ETA when you booked.

You were very wise to ask this question. You might like to post the responses on your roll call for the cruise.

Very few North Americans realise that they need a Travel Authority to visit Australia by cruise ship, and, like you, think a visa of some sort is required only if staying overnight or longer once they get here.

Many also don't realise that this is an electronic form of visa and that you don't actually get a physical piece of paper. The application process can easily be done online as suggested by others. Your TA can also do this but will probably charge a fee. Your TA should have advised you about getting an ETA when you booked.

The cruise ship may also alert you to the fact, recently I read a post where a lot of people were applying two days prior to reaching Australia and they were trying to do it on the ship's internet.:D