Jewel of the Seas 10/26/13 Review - The Good and not so good

Thanks for the review! It made me remember our cruise on AOS.

We sailed Adventure this past Feb. and had no problem with a wait at the port. We arrived around 12:30 p.m. or so. I think there a lot of factors that can influence your port and embarking experience. I heard there was a big wait in the fall when Adventure just started sailing out of San Juan.

We stayed at the Caribe. Hmm. If you can get a good rate, then go for it, however, I would check out other options. I used Hotwire last time. If you have time to utilize the pools there, etc. ,then it might be worth it. My dd, 12, loved it! If it had just been my dh and I, I would have chosen a cheaper hotel in town. There just isn't really that much opportunity to use the facilities if you are staying only 1 night. That said, I am staying there again next Jan, but using Hilton Honor points for a free stay. Also, they were very accommodating to us and let us check out 1 hour late for free. We checked out at 12 and headed straight for the port. We will do the same thing this next time. We were in our cabin by 1 or 2 pm and got our luggage right away.

BTW: If you your idea of a good wine is in the $10 range or so (like me), the port is a good place to pick some up for your cabin. If you are particular, you might want to go elsewhere.

Cheers,

Koohiichan

Can you elaborate on this a bit? Now that I've been to St. Kitts a few times, we've thought that our next stop there, we'd go over to Nevis for the day just to set foot on a different island. Was Nevis itself the problem, or just your specific excursion? We'd probably just do it on our own.

Because of how close the private tour we'd found ran to sail time (it was basically the same tour the ship was offering) we decided to go with the ship's tour for safety. Tour was so-so for many reasons ( we found out after fact that it was the same company we'd looked at and they overbooked themselves). Since it was overflow the vendor brought in subcontractors they didn't normally use, resulting in substandard boats and tour vehicles being used. 'Tour guides' ( note the quotes - I am being kind) did not provide information and were so focused in making up time the substandard boat over ran that we all felt rushed. Boat developed engine problems on way back and i could swear the pilot was high on something. We ultimately returned to the dock in St. Kitts at the time we were supposed to be sailing. We hauled bunnies to the ship as the last of our group boarded they pulled the gangway in, shut the door and off we went. GS wound up refunding 75% of the cost back to us.

We normally do not book through the ship, but was very glad we did this time. The excursion vendor was removed from the list until the proved to RCI that they had fixed the issues.

I think you have your "Sonny's" mixed up. Sunny Liston is in St. Thomas (fantastic tour guide, btw. We haved used him several times now.)

Sonny Binns is in Aruba and we are looking forward to our first time tour with him this May!:)

I am looking at Puerto Rico shuttle for transfers in San Juan for our group. Were you pleased with their service? Do you remember the price of the Rain Forest Tour?

And you would be right:-) .We have used both and been very pleased:-)

We were very pleased with the service provided. We used them to pick us up at end of cruise take us to hotel and then pick us up a little bit later for the rain forest trip. In addition we used them too and from the airport.

I think the rate we negotiated (there were six of us on a private 5 hour tour) was under $50 per person.

Edited by crookedhalo

Hi Dawn.

I think I've cruised with you before with Cruise Fools and Bubba Barry?

Anyways, did you just take a cab over to ShipWrecks on St Kitts. We took a tour that ended up there last year and may want to just hang there for the day when we cruise on JOS in Jan.

Thanks, Michael.......

Food Windjammer - I didn't find the food there terrible nor was it terrific. One side was dedicated to American style food, the other side was dedicated to Latino style food. My one disappointment was that I couldn't find my coconut ranger cookies :(. Where did they go?? Are they a thing of the past?? We never had a problem finding a table. Wait staff was there promptly clearing plates and cups so no one had to wait.

Thanks for the review. My first question is about the aft seating area. Did you find that space crowded or was it busy once it was discovered?

St. Thomas

We were a little worried before the cruise since the government shutdown effected the national parks. I'm pretty sure we would have stormed the gates ;). Thankfully all was restored and we were able to spend the day at Trunk Bay. I can see why it's one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. The taxi is $6 per person. Entrance fee is $4. Well worth the price!!!

I just wanted to add: Being this (Trunk Bay) is part of the US NPS, access passes are honored like any on the mainland. On our last cruise, I used my Golden Access Pass and I think entrance was 1/2 off. I've mentioned this, in the past, and was surprised how many people didn't even think of it.;)

We were on the Jewel b2b in October. The first week, which was the itinerary you had, was geared toward Latinos. We had quite a few from Puerto Rico, including a business group, and many from Arizona and California. There was a school holiday in Arizona that week. We found a lot of activities were geared toward the Latino population but didn't find it a problem.

The second week, which was a different itinerary, was completely different. Many more international guests including a lot of Europeans, very few children and only a small amount of Latinos.

At times it was hard to believe we were on the same ship for both cruises because many things were aimed at the particular population of that week. We enjoyed the variety of people we met and the many different activities.

Sorry, I ate all the Coconut Ranger cookies.

Edited by lakelorain

Thanks for your review...interesting that some people report large groups of locals and others don't. It might be related to where they are offering specials; I find a lot of Fl residents booking last minute on some poorly selling Fl ported cruises and I don't like that either! I do like latin music, especially since I started Zumba and have a few moves;) But our week was pretty popular and prices just keep going up, so I don't know if there will be as many locals who picked up a deal last minute.

Hey, Wingnut...I have a question for you. Our roll call is having major headaches trying to figure out when the Muster Drill is. I have Cruise Compasses that list it at 5PM and a second one at 8PM for those who missed the first one. Other people report that prior San Juan radiance class departures have the Muster Drill at 7:45 PM. What time was yours? Do you have the Compass, is it listed twice? Thanks for any info! And thanks for your review! We have the cabin directly below the on you had...love that aft!!

CrookedHalo, we just booked the BIO lum bay kayak for the night we disembark...I cant wait!!

Edited by Familygoboston

I was also on this cruise with a group of about 40 to 60 people. Most of us had shirts made up for this cruise(our 3rd as a group).

I enjoyed the cruise very much. OP is correct with the amount of things geared towards the Latino community that was onboard. But that did not stop the fun.

The muster drill was at 8pm between dinners

Michele

I'm trying to remember. I recall it being more see through but didn't notice if it was scrapped off. We weren't doing anything on our balcony to worry about any way :p

LOL, yeah, same here. It was just annoying because when the people would stand on their balcony by the rail, they can see right through the divider where the frost was missing so they can easily see you.

What time did you arrive to board? I was wondering if the time of day could have affected how fast boarding was. we usually arrive early, 10:30 - 11:00 AM.

We have gone out of San Juan several times, and agree that if you get there right away, it was much faster than when we arrived in the afternoon.

We were on the Jewel b2b in October. The first week, which was the itinerary you had, was geared toward Latinos. We had quite a few from Puerto Rico, including a business group, and many from Arizona and California. There was a school holiday in Arizona that week. We found a lot of activities were geared toward the Latino population but didn't find it a problem.

The second week, which was a different itinerary, was completely different. Many more international guests including a lot of Europeans, very few children and only a small amount of Latinos.

At times it was hard to believe we were on the same ship for both cruises because many things were aimed at the particular population of that week. We enjoyed the variety of people we met and the many different activities.

Sorry, I ate all the Coconut Ranger cookies.

It's interesting that the two itineraries had such different passengers. I wonder if it's just because of the weeks on which they fell or because of the itinerary. :confused: Our Jewel cruise in March is close to being sold out so there won't likely be an last-minute specials for locals.

It's interesting that the two itineraries had such different passengers. I wonder if it's just because of the weeks on which they fell or because of the itinerary. :confused: Our Jewel cruise in March is close to being sold out so there won't likely be an last-minute specials for locals.

I think you are correct in assuming the itineraries drive the crowd. The shorter itinerary is less expensive and is more affordable for many. Also, the specific week appealed to a large number of people from Arizona(school vacation). I assume there were some state discounts as the states with the largest number of people on the first cruise were California and Tennessee.

Can you answer a few questions?

• Which nights were your formal nights?
  • Which night was 70s Party/Quest? Weird they'd put them on the same night. Both events tend to run late and are very popular.
  • Did they still have those after dinner liquors in the little souvenir shot glasses?

Thanks!!

My apologies for not getting back sooner. That pesky work got in the way.

Formal nights for us were day 2 and day 4.

70's party/Quest were Halloween night for us (Curacao). Not sure if that is the norm.

I recall seeing them but we didn't get them so the bar waiter didn't come to our table.

Hi Dawn.

I think I've cruised with you before with Cruise Fools and Bubba Barry?

Anyways, did you just take a cab over to ShipWrecks on St Kitts. We took a tour that ended up there last year and may want to just hang there for the day when we cruise on JOS in Jan.

Thanks, Michael.......

Hi Michael! Yes we did. We cruised on the Sovereign together.

Yes, we took a cab over and back. Prices ranged from $4 per person to $6.

Thanks for the review. My first question is about the aft seating area. Did you find that space crowded or was it busy once it was discovered?

We never made it back there. We kept forgetting about it.

I just wanted to add: Being this (Trunk Bay) is part of the US NPS, access passes are honored like any on the mainland. On our last cruise, I used my Golden Access Pass and I think entrance was 1/2 off. I've mentioned this, in the past, and was surprised how many people didn't even think of it.;)

The park ranger told my friend she could not use her pass. Not sure what it was. Sounds like yours is different. Also, if you want the National Park stuff, you have to go to the visitor center by the ferry.

Hey, Wingnut...I have a question for you. Our roll call is having major headaches trying to figure out when the Muster Drill is. I have Cruise Compasses that list it at 5PM and a second one at 8PM for those who missed the first one. Other people report that prior San Juan radiance class departures have the Muster Drill at 7:45 PM. What time was yours? Do you have the Compass, is it listed twice? Thanks for any info! And thanks for your review! We have the cabin directly below the on you had...love that aft!!

Muster is at 8 pm and be warned it is outside. Also, they are very strict with muster. Security was going to cabins of people not there. Also, notes were left in the cabins of people they couldn't find.