Travelling to and embarking at Southampton

jc24cruiser

Hi,

I have cruised before but always from foreign ports.

I have now booked 2 cruises from Southampton, one in May as a practice run and then the exact same cruise again in October (but a different ship) with the kids. It will be their first cruise, they will be 7 and 8 at the time.

Who has sailed from Southampton before? What is the port like?

Any ideas on the best way to travel to Southampton from South Yorkshire? My partner does not know about the May cruise, it is a complete surprise and don't want her to find out until the day. I can't really rely on being able to drive down as currently we own 2 vans due to running our own business and they need to stay here for our staff. Hoping to have a run around car by then but need a plan b!

I have heard about Royal Caribbean coach transfers but can't find any information about them?!?!

Thanks in advance :)

There will be coaches- ask RCI; there's also National Express coaches; check rail prices- we book tickets well beforehand and usually manage for around £80 return, and we're further north.

We go down the day before, and stay either near the shopping centre, in Ibis, Novotel and the like, or right on the dock, with Holiday Inn- you can watch the ships on the Solent.

BTW, my relative has travelled from both Doncaster and Sheffield for cruises- with P&O and Cunard- and arrived by early afternoon the same day. I thought RCI were using Eavesway coaches this year?

It is very easy to get a taxi at the Southampton port, we took one the short distance to the National Express terminal where we caught a bus to Heathrow. The terminal is very small and we did purchase the tickets online, which worked out very well for us, since we are Americans and did not have to deal with pounds to dollars etc. I know there are direct trains from York to Southampton and I think National Express buses too. I don't know the distance that you would have to travel from Yorkshire to York, but see if this is possible. You can book on line and see schedules etc. I hope this is helpful.

Depends which of the terminals you are sailing from.

If city terminal then best to get a train to Southampton Central the day before and stay at one of the IBIS/Novotel then a short walk in the morning.

If over the other side where Cunard/P&O tend to dock then Premier Inn/ Holiday Inn are nearer those terminals.

The main train route cross-country hourly goes Manchester-Birmingham-Reading-Southampton so you probably would need to change at one of the Northern stations to avoid going via London.

Off-peak you can get some great deals. £40 one way 1st class Bham to Southampton around 11ish midweek

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at the cruises you are taking, I guess you are on Royal Caribbean or P&O. Either way you will depart from the same area of Southampton which are easily accessible.

We took the Independence of the Seas on Oct 29 this year (and have it booked for next year too) and access was painless and smooth. We travelled by car and have no experience of rail or coach travel from this part of the UK but getting to and from Southampton City railway station is easy by taxi.

The main train route cross-country hourly goes Manchester-Birmingham-Reading-Southampton so you probably would need to change at one of the Northern stations to avoid going via London.

He is correct, in that there are lots of Birmingham to Southampton trains, but there are lots of York to Birmingham trains, so that's a valid route. However, as I recall, there are two Newcastle to Southampton trains a day, which go via York, so they would avoid having to change.

We always tend to drive down from J29 M1 it is so easy. 4 hour will cover it nice and steady, well sign posted just watch for the Cameras on the road in. Next year we will be doing a different entry as we fly back to Birmingham. So I might be posting for alternative transport options.

Looking at the cruises you are taking, I guess you are on Royal Caribbean or P&O. Either way you will depart from the same area of Southampton which are easily accessible.

We took the Independence of the Seas on Oct 29 this year (and have it booked for next year too) and access was painless and smooth. We travelled by car and have no experience of rail or coach travel from this part of the UK but getting to and from Southampton City railway station is easy by taxi.

roysmith99,

We are on the 28 Oct 14 sailing of the IoS. Is that the same cruise you mentioned in your post above? I just started making a roll call list and didn't see your name on our roll call forum. I'd provide a link, but as I'm new to using the CC app, I don't know how to insert one. Just look in the RC IoS roll call thread. There are about a dozen CC members on this cruise and, since RC doesn't offer an M&M on 4-day trips, we're on our own. Come join us.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Forums mobile app