Cristmas Cruise 2013, dressing for the weather?

kaits11

Hey everyone,

I'm going to be on my first ever cruise this coming Christmas, and I'm not sure what I should be packing. It's Western Caribbean (Haiti, Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Cozumel), and I'm Canadian, so I guess you could say I'm a little more cold tolerant. Has anyone been on a cruise at this time of year before? Will it be warm enough to bring a bathing suit, and should I bring sweaters in the event that it gets cold? I'm a little confused. :)

Hey everyone,

I'm going to be on my first ever cruise this coming Christmas, and I'm not sure what I should be packing. It's Western Caribbean (Haiti, Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Cozumel), and I'm Canadian, so I guess you could say I'm a little more cold tolerant. Has anyone been on a cruise at this time of year before? Will it be warm enough to bring a bathing suit, and should I bring sweaters in the event that it gets cold? I'm a little confused. :)

Welcome to Cruise Critic kait11

If you are leaving from a port like New York you'll definitely want a sweat shirt, sweater or jacket and Miami could be cool too. You will want summer wear for the islands. The islands can be surprising warm in the winter. Be sure to take your bathing suits!

:)

Welcome to Cruise Critic kait11

If you are leaving from a port like New York you'll definitely want a sweat shirt, sweater or jacket and Miami could be cool too. You will want summer wear for the islands. The islands can be surprising warm in the winter. Be sure to take your bathing suits!

:)

Thanks! We're leaving out of Port Canaveral (sp?) So I'll probably only need to pack one sweater :)

It may even be hot and humid. Shorts and bathing suits with a sweater for indoor air conditioning.

======================

Your port stops will often actually be HOT at Christmas!

Do bring some sort of wrap which is often needed on the ship. Sometimes the public areas get cold enough "to hang meat". :D

Have a wonderful cruise! :)

LuLu

~~~~~

Edited by OCruisers

Thanks! We're leaving out of Port Canaveral (sp?) So I'll probably only need to pack one sweater :)

Our family did a Christmas cruise out of Port Canaveral, last Christmas. We are from Pennsylvania in the Northeast. When we left port, it was nice. Shorts and tee shirt where in order. We went to the Bahamas. We wore swimwear at the beach, but the water was a little cool to get in and feel comfortable. Not too many people were swimming. You might need a sweater or light jacket for in the evening when up on deck. Everything was nice until the morning that we disembarked at Port Canaveral. I walk up on deck to go to breakfast, and I immediately turned around and went back to the room for a jacket. It felt like I was back North, and was freezing. So.... bottom line, plan for nice warm swimsuit weather, but take along that jacket or sweater just in case the temperatures turn colder. In the islands, it should be nice, especially where you are going. Our shock was on disembarking at Port Canaveral at the end.

It is summer in the Caribbean 12 months a year.

Bring summer clothes and perhaps a light wrap/sweater in case the ship is cool in the evening. Sometimes the main Dining Room and/or Show Lounge can be chilly.

Have fun. :)

We have cruised in the winter 3 times so far (and will be going again next month) and have never really needed anything different than what you would bring during cruising in the summer. We still wear shorts during the day and swim suits and in the evening we usually put on pants (because it's always cold inside the ship for me). I always bring a light hoodie/sweater for inside (winter or summer) and 2 pairs of pants. (Of course I'll have my coat since we leave in the cold weather from Ohio, so I'll need that coming home). :)