What rate when adding a third person later

lbw

Back in January, my friends booked two people in a cabin (which will hold 3). Now they want to add their adult daughter (assuming the ship is not over quota for those cabins.) Would the third person rate be the current rate or the rate in effect at the time of the original booking? The quote from their travel agent is not making sense.

Back in January, my friends booked two people in a cabin (which will hold 3). Now they want to add their adult daughter (assuming the ship is not over quota for those cabins.) Would the third person rate be the current rate or the rate in effect at the time of the original booking? The quote from their travel agent is not making sense.

I would think the 3rd passenger fare would be "todays" rate, not the rate at the time of the original booking. But I don't say that from any experience. They could try a fake booking via the web site and see if the 3rd pax rate they get there more or less matches what their TA provided.

Edited by joepeka

The rate would be based on the current rate as of the actual booking date for the 3rd person. The only way to preserve the rate at the original amount would have been to have the 3rd person included then.

Note that it is possible that the 3rd person rate could be lower at the time the 3rd person is added if rates have gone down since the original booking for 3rd/4th passengers. Also if it is post final payment the full amount will be due at booking if they are still able to be added.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Thanks for the answers. I thought it would be current rates. Not sure what the travel agent was quoting. I think it may have been just the fare and not the port fees when she gave them a quote. I'll tell them to try a fake booking to get actual price for 3rd person.

I had read a recent thread where some people reported having added a second person later at the rates in effect at the time of the original booking. (They had held the cabin with a single deposit of $250 and listed TBD for the second person. When they finally added a second person and paid his deposit he got the original rate. I guess the rules for 3rd persons are different, or maybe they should have put TBD in for a 3rd person when the rates were low?

You are correct ...IF you ever think you want a 3rd or 4th person in a cabin, it is better to book with TBA at lower rates than wait and add later at higher rate. That said, I have a GF that did that for her 2 DDs and then decided not to sail with them, cancelled before final payment and thought no more of it. When she boarded the ship, she found the cabin # was changed to a cabin in a less favored location that was for just 2, instead of 4 guests. (They did have a great cruise, they just were not on same deck with their friends). Either way, there is a "risk" of sorts.

Just did this a few weeks ago for an upcoming cruise and the rate we had to pay was the rate on the actual day we added the 3rd person.

Same thing, I originally booked just two of us in cabin in January, an inside gty. But once we had room assignment, we noticed it was a quad room. So a month ago I called and added my DD16's gf. The rate I paid for 3rd in cabin was actually more than 1st and 2nd by $50.

But what you might not know is if a category better than what you booked is cheaper, cruiselune will move you to better cabin for free. Cruise fare price has to be less than or equal to the price you originally paid. We upgraded to an oceanview this way.