Holland vs Celebrity

syr101

To the OP, I hope you are asking this on the HAL board as well. I have actually never sailed HAL, but I do find that all the lines have their devoted followers, and the message boards are a good place to find them. Most people here will prefer Celebrity, it doesn't mean that you will. Sort everything out, or better yet sail both, and decide which is best for you. PS --- I love a promenade deck, it'a a way to stroll and really feel that you are at sea. Many ships today seem more like floating hotels where the ocean is an afterthought.

I also think that it may have something to do with age. I've been on the promenade deck several times, and it's okay, but nothing I cherish. Don't enjoy any smoke smell whatsoever, and want my lungs free and clear. Of course, I am NOT much for strolling either, but love the ocean! I enjoy being in it, on it and all around it. Maybe when I reach those golden ages, strolling may interest me. For now, it is soltice class all the way if on Celebrity and yes, it would stand to reason that many of us here prefer Celebrity over various other lines. Nothing wrong with that!

Edited by Lastdance

I also think that it may have something to do with age. I've been on the promenade deck several times, and it's okay, but nothing I cherish. Don't enjoy any smoke smell whatsoever, and want my lungs free and clear. Of course, I am NOT much for strolling either, but love the ocean! I enjoy being in it, on it and all around it. Maybe when I reach those golden ages, strolling may interest me. For now, it is soltice class all the way if on Celebrity and yes, it would stand to reason that many of us here prefer Celebrity over various other lines. Nothing wrong with that!

I had to chuckle about this as my post was the one you were referring to. I am far from those golden ages, but I do enjoy a quiet walk around a promenade deck and I imagine some other younger cruisers do also! My only point was that the OP should expect most posters on the Celebrity boards to prefer Celebrity, which I obviously do since I'm here and said I've never been on Hal. I just like the overall product, but I have never found a cruise line that is perfect in EVERY way. I've been lucky enough to avoid smokers when I've cruised other lines but I do appreciate that it won't be a problem on Celebrity. The OP just has to make up his mind what is most important to him and choose a cruise line based on this, since choices are available.

I have been on Princess, Celebrity, and HAL. Personally, I will never again take a cruise on HAL. We paid for a balcony and found it looked down at a lifeboat..Period! Our friends booked a Lanaii which instead of a balcony consisted of two doors that opened onto a promenade deck . The library as someone mentioned was great, BUT everyone there was sleeping. We found the food okay, entertainment the same. Smoking was allowed on balconies (another reason to keep us away), and other than meal or entertainment time there were more folks asleep than a hotel. Near the pool, in the walkways between venues, etc. Strictly a line for old folks. (by the way I am 80, but felt like a youngster on Hal)

We enjoy HAL a lot. We are about to go on our first Celebrity cruise and I have a feeling it will be our line of choice. It seems for the most part they have what we love about HAL and don't have what we dislike.

As for HAL:

- We are in the Promenade Deck lovers group. We love them.

- Food is very good.

- About 10 years ago (our first cruise), HAL served Cherries Jubilee in one of their bars for free every night. That was a delicious and special treat.

- Fresh squeezed juice in MDR

- Fresh Flowers around ship

Edited by SuperTrooper00

Coral Princess and Island Princess have a full Promenade Deck, and in many ways they combine the best features of HAL and Celebrity. These ships are smaller but have great public spaces and never feel crowded. Princess is livelier than HAL but doesn't have the annoying piped music that Celebrity staff claim is mandated by Miami. :p

HAL is quiet, refined, old-school (but in a good way!).

HAL is lovely if you want the very best and most personalized service, few children, fewer activities and less avant-guard food but deliciously prepared, with less emphasis on entertainment and more on quiet pool time, exercising on the promenade deck (yes, even younger people enjoy fresh air, beautiful views, teak decks and a chance to burn off some of the calories consumed) ....

Celebrity has more varied food, a similar commitment to not up-selling relentlessly, a better smoking policy for non-smokers.

If you cruise because you love to do things on board all day long and dance the night away, HAL probably isn't for you. If you like to have a nice leisurely dinner, maybe catch a show or visit a piano bar an after-dinner drink and a dance, some star gazing from the promenade deck then you should love HAL.

HCBI

I long for the day when all cruise lines ban smoking completely. When will they realise that society has changed and the majority of people no longer tollerate the bad habit. Most importantly smoking aboard ship is plain dangerous and passengers safety is more important.