Leaving NY in Snow?

nutley chick

Has anyone ever sailed out of NY while it was snowing? I live in NJ and am taking my first cruise out of NY. The others all from Florida. I like cruising in the winter months because I feel it shortens my winter, or at least breaks it up.

This years cruise is a little late, March 30th. But I have a few questions:

1 - Has anyone left in the snow. I think it would be cool to be on a boat while snowing.

2 - If you have left in the cold weather, how long until you are in warmer weather? 5 hours? next day?

3 - Does the ship seem super crowded on Embarkation since most people are inside?

I'm sure I will have tons of more questions before March:D.

Has anyone ever sailed out of NY while it was snowing? I live in NJ and am taking my first cruise out of NY. The others all from Florida. I like cruising in the winter months because I feel it shortens my winter, or at least breaks it up.

1 - Has anyone left in the snow. I think it would be cool to be on a boat while snowing.

2 - If you have left in the cold weather, how long until you are in warmer weather? 5 hours? next day?

3 - Does the ship seem super crowded on Embarkation since most people are inside?

Hoping not to have to find out since you are on the BA the week after us.

2 - If you have left in the cold weather, how long until you are in warmer weather? 5 hours? next day? By the next morning

3 - Does the ship seem super crowded on Embarkation since most people are inside? Having left in the wee hours of the am we were still sleeping but the ship never felt crowded the first night

We left in a freak nor'easter snow storm in October 2 years ago. We actually stayed overnight in the port and left the next day. What an adventure! Once we knew we were going to encounter heavy rains (no one figured snow:eek:) We lined our suite cases with heavy plastic (leaf bags). Everyone was complaining their clothes were all wet and ours were perfectly fine & dry. :)

My husband and I were on the Gem for a Christmas cruise, I think in 2009. We were in the Owner's Suite, and it started snowing at sailaway. We took pictures on the front balcony as we were leaving NY, the snow was falling and it was so beautiful. The next day we saw a snowman in the pool deck that the crew had built. They put the helmet (for the bucket of beer) on his head. It was great. The snowman didnt last very long, as we soon hit the warm weather.

Hey Nutley Chick = Bloomfield Guy here :) I have not but have had clients sail away in the snow from NY a few times. The Spiniker Lounge (or the highest lounge with windows on ships) is usually pretty crowded. But it lightens up pretty quick. There will still be folks outside - especially 2st timers. The weather should warm up the next day - depending on just how cold it is - should be by the afternoon. We are sailing on 4/5 on the Gem - I truly hope there is o snow!!!;)

Edited by disfan13

Ok, so we have left out of NY in the snow before, nothing major, but it was snowing when we left (I think they only ended up with a few inches). There was snow and ice on the outer decks, so they had those areas blocked off so no one would get hurt. It was kind of fun, knowing we were leaving the snow behind. It was much warmer the next day. It all depends on how fast the ship your on is sailing.

The only other thing that happened to us was when we returned to NY. One time it had been so cold (we returned in mid february) that they had to run an ice breaker for us to be able to dock. Only problem was, by the time we got to the pier, it had frozen over again. Now, I know these ships are amazing feats of engineering and all, but I highly doubt that they designed them to be ice breakers. Well, the ship had to re break the ice before she could dock. It was interesting and a bit scary to watch from our balcony as the ship would push in to break the ice then back away and repeat several dozen times. The sounds from inside on the lower decks must have been creepy. We ended up not being able to disembark until about 10am. Good old mother nature!

We once left in a light snowfall..it was pretty...and once on sailaway..we had hail falling on our balcony...!!...NYC weather in winter can be very unpredictable...but NYC still always looks beautiful from the ship ...:)

Thanks for all the replies. I'm not worried about the snow I just think it would be pretty cool to be on a ship in the snow and then wake up... or have lunch in the warm weather. I hate winter but love snow. Go figure. :rolleyes:

Hey Bloomfield guy... We are neighbors. I'm actually on the Nutley - Bloomfield boarder line. :D

We sailed out of NY early November last year a week after Sandy against a rare Nor' Easter, freezing rain & wet, blinding snow in the dark - as our sailing was delayed for 30+ minutes so you couldn't see much of anything outside as she came down the Hudson.

As others said, the pools are heated to the 80's and hot tube is around 100 degrees F, so you can just stay in there - the transition is a minor challenge.

Late March, NY tend to warm up & rarely get much snow that late but never say never - the fortune teller's forecast now is as good as the weather channel or farmer's.

As for the appearing more crowded - the only time we noticed a huge crowd with no place to go is at the mandatory safety drill, and nowadays, you leave the life jackets behind in the stateroom & just report to your assigned station - afterward, everyone just managed to disppear into various spaces ... until disembarkation with the express self walk-off lines, LOL. :eek:

I have returned in the snow...a bit of a shock back to reality after returning from the tropics....but other than digging out the car, no real problems.

What I would be more concerned about, is if there is a major blizzard the night before sailaway....how to get to the ship? You can be sure, the ship will sail on schedule, whether you are aboard, or not.

I guess that's what travel insurance is for.....