Dawn or Breakaway

iceman2a

I am considering a Bermuda cruise next summer. Will be traveling with 2 other couples who are first timers. They expressed a desire to sail out of Boston but if I think it's worth it I can convince them to go out of NY.

I have done the Dawn to Bermuda and wouldn't mind doing it agian but I like new ships.:D

I would like to hear from cruisers who have sailed on the Breakaway and particularly from those who also sailed on the Epic to compare those ships.

Thanks in advance for any replies!

I am considering a Bermuda cruise next summer. Will be traveling with 2 other couples who are first timers. They expressed a desire to sail out of Boston but if I think it's worth it I can convince them to go out of NY.

I have done the Dawn to Bermuda and wouldn't mind doing it agian but I like new ships.:D

I would like to hear from cruisers who have sailed on the Breakaway and particularly from those who also sailed on the Epic to compare those ships.

First timers might be more comfortable with the Dawn. But either way you'll all have a great cruise!

Thanks for posting this I have the same questions as I plan on doing the same thing I actually have sailed both the Epic and the Dawn. I would love to leave out of Boston but also prefer newer ships:)

I've been on Epic and Breakaway. Breakaway offers some refinements of Epic, but public spaces on Epic are larger. All in all, they are more similar than not. Breakaway adds The Waterfront, Carlo's Bakery, Ropes Course, more and better water slides. Breakaway also has a more traditional bathroom setup in the stateroom (all fixtures in one room rather than broken up and open to the cabin). Most balconies on the Breakaway are smaller than Epic. I liked both. Haven't been on the Dawn, so can't speak to the differences. It depends on whether you want a newer, larger ship with more amenities, but also more people.

I think this is really a personal opinion. I have been on both the Dawn & Epic. I will say the Epic is a beautiful ship which I am sure the Breakaway is also a beautiful ship being new with more broadway entertainment, more restaurants & more people. Personally I prefer the smaller ships. Less crowded. A little more intimate for me. Always shows every evening. I am glad I had the opportunity to go on the Epic. Not in any hurry to go on the Breakaway. I have since booked the Dawn again for the 5th time. Get ship. There is always something to do. If I had to choose I would go out of Boston on the Dawn. Again, just my opinion. :). If your friends want all the glitz & glamour then the Breakaway is probably the way to go.

We were on the Dawn in September (for the second time) and will be on the Breakaway shortly. It's really a matter of a "small town feel" as opposed to "glamour & glitz".

Keep in mind that if the Dawn continues to leave Boston on Friday it will arrive in Bermuda on Sunday when pretty much everything is closed. First timers will probably be trying to cram as much into those short 3 days as possible. :)

We were on the Dawn in September (for the second time) and will be on the Breakaway shortly. It's really a matter of a "small town feel" as opposed to "glamour & glitz".

Keep in mind that if the Dawn continues to leave Boston on Friday it will arrive in Bermuda on Sunday when pretty much everything is closed. First timers will probably be trying to cram as much into those short 3 days as possible. :)

We go out of Boston for Bermuda, and use Sunday as our beach day. Cabs and Busses line up at the dock to take you to beaches. Monday and Tuesday are our touring days, or we sometimes go to the beach every day.

As far as which ship-------read reviews for both the Dawn and Breakaway, and see which might fit your cruising needs. I haven't been on the Breakaway yet, but might try it some day.

I have been on the Dawn and Breakaway~~the Dawn is smaller of course but the Breakaway is amazing~~I want to go on her again~~dance parties, all the bars and restaurants you will ever want, the ice bar~~quite interesting I must say! Love, love the Breakaway! Happy sailing whatever ship you sail on!:)

I absolutely love the Dawn but there is nothing more exciting than trying out a brand new ship. I'd do the Breakaway while it's still "news" if I were you and keep the "old" ship for when there is no other option. (Unless you have an itinirary preference of course).

It is really a fair comparison. One is large and the other smaller. I have not sailed the breakaway but have sailed the Dawn. We love the smaller ships and getting to NY isn't as easy as other ports! Enjoy regardless.

Sent from my HTC One using Forums mobile app

I have sailed the epic and the breakaway as well as many others and we did breakaway to bermuda

I would go for the breakaway and especially if it is your friends first cruise - the entertainment wins hands down

Epic and Breakaway have similar areas such as osheehans and the jumbo tron but the way they lay out le bistro and headliners is better on breakaway

Breakaway also does fireworks as you sail out of bermuda

The only down side you will find is that the number of people compared to the dawn is massive

Since your friends are first-timers, it may be best to go with the Dawn, as it will allow them to more easily get a feel for cruising. The ship is smaller, has fewer passengers, and although it has fewer entertainment and sport options, the entertainment is still excellent, and there are more than enough options to overwhelm a first-time cruiser. The Breakaway could thoroughly overwhelm them, and also sets the bar extremely high for any future cruise they might wish to take.

Since they expressed a desire to sail out of Boston, in my mind that makes it a clear choice as well.

Good luck with your decision and your planning.

Happy Sailing!

:)

Thank you for all of your replies! I have to be considerate of the people joining us on this cruise, so I think the Dawn will be the choice. If it was just me it would have been the Breakaway. Biggest consideration was travel to terminal, 10 to 20 mins as opposed to 3.5 to 4 hrs. Next was size and capacity of the ship. I will let them ease into cruising, then hit them with the wow factor!