New menus

marylizcat

In my Our World magazine received today, there is a section called 'New and Improved Dining'. It says MP White 'has created several dishes, which can be enjoyed alongside our Gala Menus'. What do you think that means? Will they be extra cost items perhaps?

It also says 'a selection of classics will be back on the menu by December 2014' ( no hurry then!) 'including Caesar Salad, Fillet of Salmon and Sirloin Steak'. I suppose these will be back as Always Available items? I shall be pleased to see the steak back.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I don't think the new MPW menus in the MDR will be at an extra charge. The salmon and plain grilled chicken has been always available on all of our cruises this year.

Sue[/quote

Have you heard that they will not be an extra charge item? Or is it a fond hope? Other cruise lines do this and I wondered if P & O are following suit?]

I don't think the new MPW menus in the MDR will be at an extra charge. The salmon and plain grilled chicken has been always available on all of our cruises this year.

Sue[/quote

Have you heard that they will not be an extra charge item? Or is it a fond hope? Other cruise lines do this and I wondered if P & O are following suit?]

Not read any different but if PO were going to charge for this it would be advertised as an extra (or am I being naive)

Sue

What a shame to lose the silver service - I always thought it one of life's little luxuries when cruising!

I too spotted the little paragraph informing me that they are no longer going to serve the vegetables separately at dinner, but have them already served on the plate "so your waiters have more time to get to know you and talk to you" - who are they kidding!!!

It just means less waiters - the waiters who are there will now have more tables to serve. On every voyage we have gone on, half the fun was getting to know your waiters through their service - one who served the main meal and the other one coming behind with the veg etc. Have they thought about waste - we object to being served with vegetables we don't like!!

I always thought silver service was the order of the day on P & O as on other shipping lines.[/FON

However I will have chance to experience it all for myself on my next cruise on 28th June 2014 (J408) to the Norwegian Fjord

Edited by lovethe7seas
put it on twice!!

What a shame to lose the silver service - I always thought it one of life's little luxuries when cruising!

I too spotted the little paragraph informing me that they are no longer going to serve the vegetables separately at dinner, but have them already served on the plate "so your waiters have more time to get to know you and talk to you" - who are they kidding!!!

It just means less waiters - the waiters who are there will now have more tables to serve. On every voyage we have gone on, half the fun was getting to know your waiters through their service - one who served the main meal and the other one coming behind with the veg etc. Have they thought about waste - we object to being served with vegetables we don't like!!

We always thought silver service was the order of the day on P & O as on other shipping lines.

We are disappointed as we have to experience this new service for ourselves on 28th June 2014 on J408 to the Norwegian Fjords.

What do others think?

Anyone else on this particular cruise next year?

We always thought silver service was the order of the day on P & O as on other shipping lines.

We are disappointed as we have to experience this new service for ourselves on 28th June 2014 on J408 to the Norwegian Fjords.

What do others think?

Anyone else on this particular cruise next year?

Very few cruiselines actually do silver service and P&O havent done proper silver service for many years.

It's always seemed a bit 1930's to me, silver service. Reminds me of weddings.

What I have noticed is the number of times you are offered cabbage. Reminds me of school dinners.

Can't say I am a great fan of much of the food served in the MDR on P&O or any of the other lines in the same price bracket.

But then others I have dined with have mostly been satisfied, so it's probably me.

David

Although the always available steak wasn't on the menu, it was always available!

Not on Azura last month and I particularly asked for it when there was nothing else on the menu I wanted. On the other hand Caesar Salad, Prawn Cocktail, Grilled Chicken Breast and Grilled Salmon were always available but called Lighter Options.

I cannot understand why P&O should think that a man who advertises stock cubes on TV should also be capable of designing menus for fine dining. Surely there are many more talented chefs out there?

I agree Tartanexile!! I have always said I will not pay to eat at his restaurant to be served stock pots. Other people have said that he only earns a crust from advertising, but he has lent his name to them and possibly either gets a good price on them or gets freebies, so nothing stopping him from cooking with them!:)

I agree Tartanexile!! I have always said I will not pay to eat at his restaurant to be served stock pots. Other people have said that he only earns a crust from advertising, but he has lent his name to them and possibly either gets a good price on them or gets freebies, so nothing stopping him from cooking with them!:)

Anyone who claims to know the contractual arrangements of celebrity chefs and food product manufacturers are talking out of an inappropriate part of their anatomy.

Stuart

I cannot understand why P&O should think that a man who advertises stock cubes on TV should also be capable of designing menus for fine dining. Surely there are many more talented chefs out there?

I think this applies to his speciality restaurant on board. The menus in the MD are either done by the head chef, or more likely from head office.

Doesn't stop them being generally poor. This is more to do with the meal pricing which I suspect is probably less than in prisons.

David

I wasn't overly impressed with the food an Azura last month, it was ok but not great

3 nights running there were beef dishes that I swore was the same meat rehashed under three different names !

Out of the 12 nights there was probably 3 or 4 meals I thought were good

Out of the 12 nights there was probably 3 or 4 meals I thought were good

Yes I would agree with that ratio. Like the curates egg, good in parts.

I remember with horror the desert I was served last month on Arcadia. It was banana oven baked in its skin. It was black and rock hard, and I was probably as big a mug for ordering it as the one who ever thought it up in the first place.

David.

I may get shot down in flames for this, but the best experience we have ever had in a speciality restaurant on a ship was in James Martin's 'Bistro' on OV2 ...... fabulous menus and the food and service was excellent. :)

Anyone who claims to know the contractual arrangements of celebrity chefs and food product manufacturers are talking out of an inappropriate part of their anatomy.

Stuart

I do think that your comment is uncalled for and inappropriate if not downright nasty Wiltonian. I am only expressing an opinion and not commenting on contractual arrangements. He is after all endorsing stock pots using his name and reputation.:mad:

I never saw the point in silver service, the veg they served never seemed to go with the dishes, which always had sufficient veg on them anyway. What is a better idea is to do what RCI do, and have the extra items available on the menu on request.

Hands up al those like me, who have been offered cabbage with curry , pasta dishes etc? Many times!!

Should I change my name? From Silverservice

I agree with both of you. Vegetables (often cabbage and diced carrots) put unappetisingly on your plate is best discontinued and plated food with appropriate vegetables a good improvement. It takes a lot of time serving the vegetables and P&O waiters always seem the most overworked to me.

Edited by Gettingwarmer

He is after all endorsing stock pots using his name and reputation.:mad:

Know stock pots are a good product, I use them quite a lot at home, to make better dinners than you get aboard in most MDs afloat.

Can't understand why it's mad for him to make a bob or two advertising a product that is at least food.

Roger Federer advertises watches that have nothing to do with tennis.

David.

For the uninitiated Marco Pierre White was Head Chef and owned his own restaurant by the age of 24 and by 33 he was the youngest chef to be awarded 3 Michelin stars and has trained Gordon Ramsey, Heston Blumenthal and Bryn Williams. These are top class chefs in their own rights and shows the ignorance of some cruisers to comment when they know so little about one of the top chefs this country has produced.