Do you think recommended tips on US ships are too high here?

"Oceana Gratuity

Tips are automatically added at the rate of £3.10 ($4.50) per person (over 12-years-old), per day or £43 ($65) for the usual two-week itinerary.

A major bonus for passengers is that there is no automatic 15 percent service charge added to drinks or wine bills, and cash tips are not expected by bar staff."

What do you think about the amount of gratuities recommended by cruiselines, which cruise on the US$?

The tips mentioned above seem to me a much fairer amount - $4.50US pppd, with no tips for 12 years and under, and no automatic service charge on alcohol.

I am assuming you mean that this is the policy adopted by Oceania Cruises because you don't mention any ship. That would be very fair but then again Oceania is a lot dearer than the mainstream lines. You could go a step furhter. Regent Seven Seas include tips, all dining venues, all drinks and even shore excursions into their fare. But their fare is dearer still. You've got to compare the total cost and quality of the holiday and not just bits of it. A $2000 cruise + $500 in tips is still cheaper than a $3000 cruise with zero tips.

I am assuming you mean that this is the policy adopted by Oceania Cruises because you don't mention any ship. That would be very fair but then again Oceania is a lot dearer than the mainstream lines. You could go a step furhter. Regent Seven Seas include tips, all dining venues, all drinks and even shore excursions into their fare. But their fare is dearer still. You've got to compare the total cost and quality of the holiday and not just bits of it. A $2000 cruise + $500 in tips is still cheaper than a $3000 cruise with zero tips.

P&O's Oceana.

I have cruised on Fred.Olsen's Black Watch and Fred.Olsen also charge fair prices for gratuities.

I totally agree with Gerko as I always judge a cruise on what the whole cruise package will cost me, this includes excursions.

That said, the tips are considerably less at $4.50/day than on Princess or Celebrity at more like $12-15 per day depending on the cabin category and company, and as such, I would imagine that the staff on the Oceana have a very different (and fairer) wage structure as well.:D

These are British based ships, so they're pricing more on the model there. People get a higher salary and smaller tips.

That's more akin to what we're used to. But it's not the American model where people in service sectors get negligible pay and live off tips.

Do I prefer what I'm used to? Yes... but that doesn't mean the rest of the world does.

A couple things I would like to change, is the wording from 'Gratuities or tips' to 'Service charge' and just have them incorporated in the fare. This way people will not feel obligated or otherwise when dealing with them and the staff would be happier as then there would be no-one opting out.:D

A couple things I would like to change, is the wording from 'Gratuities or tips' to 'Service charge' and just have them incorporated in the fare. This way people will not feel obligated or otherwise when dealing with them and the staff would be happier as then there would be no-one opting out.:D

RCI Australia T&C,s refer to Grats as "A service charge" RCI USA T&C,s Does not refer Grats as a "service charge" but "Tips":D

One company! mixed cruiser nationalities on each ship! different T&C wording for the same thing!

Wage subsidy;)

North Americans Tip, Australians pay a service charge!

Cruise service industry staff in their homeland earn neither an Australian wage with added "Service Charges" nor USA base wages with added "Tips".

Indonesian service workers in Indonesia earn around $100 per Month working a 12 hour 7 day a week job.

Indonesian cruise service workers are on "A very good Wicket" Tips or not;)

RCI Australia T&C,s refer to Grats as "A service charge" RCI USA T&C,s Does not refer Grats as a "service charge" but "Tips":D

One company! mixed cruiser nationalities on each ship! different T&C wording for the same thing!

Wage subsidy;)

North Americans Tip, Australians pay a service charge!

Cruise service industry staff in their homeland earn neither an Australian wage with added "Service Charges" nor USA base wages with added "Tips".

Indonesian service workers in Indonesia earn around $100 per Month working a 12 hour 7 day a week job.

Indonesian cruise service workers are on "A very good Wicket" Tips or not;)

What would you say A Indonesian worker on a cruise ship earn per month? Edited by thied

I would not consider either of those figures a good wage for a month at sea working 7 days a week 12-14 hours a day.:D

Totally Agree,Consider they also pay airfare in one direction, i think?No pay whilst end of Contract,ie on leave.

They smile and greet you 100+ times a day.Make your cabin twice a day and much much more.

"Oceana Gratuity

Tips are automatically added at the rate of £3.10 ($4.50) per person (over 12-years-old), per day or £43 ($65) for the usual two-week itinerary.

A major bonus for passengers is that there is no automatic 15 percent service charge added to drinks or wine bills, and cash tips are not expected by bar staff."

What do you think about the amount of gratuities recommended by cruiselines, which cruise on the US$?

The tips mentioned above seem to me a much fairer amount - $4.50US pppd, with no tips for 12 years and under, and no automatic service charge on alcohol.

Like most Australians, I am happy to tip the amount recommended by the relevant cruiseline.

My comment was in relation to the amount recommended by the British based cruiselines versus the American based cruiselines.

I appreciate that Australian based cruiselines include the gratuties in the base fare, which would be my preference.

My preference as well.:D

But then some people go and start tipping extra cash thinking they will get better service than "Great Service":D:D:D

Back to square one where a tip is a personal appreciation of services rendered and not a "Service Charge" charged by the company to all to make it all equal:)