Ship excursions prebook or not?

Jiminy1955

The group (8) I am sailing with has differing opinions on whether to prebook excursions or wait until we get on board. We have only cruised with carnival. We are doing western Caribbean in Feb 2014. What are your thoughts and/or experiences on this subject?

We always pre book for a few reasons. First you ensure that you get the excursion that you want. The most popular ones may be booked up when you get on the ship. The second reason are the lines to book on board. When I get on board, I want to eat, drink, and hit the pool, not stand in a line for hours hoping to book the excursion. I have heard that you can book them using your tv, but I have never tried it.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

The group (8) I am sailing with has differing opinions on whether to prebook excursions or wait until we get on board. We have only cruised with carnival. We are doing western Caribbean in Feb 2014. What are your thoughts and/or experiences on this subject?

I have been on cruises where certain excursions have been sold out. If you did not pre book, you were out of luck. I always prebook my excursions. If there is something you really want to do, prebook it or you will be disappointed if it is sold out when you board the ship.

Ahead of time would be best, IMO. But regardless of which you choose, I would also recommend having a back up plan if you really want to book excursions through the ship. (I avoid it as much as possible, but sometimes that is the only option.) Perhaps I have just had bad luck, but at least one out of every three excursions I have ever booked with RCL has been cancelled, often at the last minute. Honestly, private excursions are the way to go. Never had a problem with being late to the ship, and never been cancelled on. (Even in Portland, Maine, when my husband and I ended up being the only people to book a tour - the operator did not cancel it, they ran it just for us!) The ports of call boards are loaded with excellent recommendations for tours.

If you really want to do a specific excursion I would book ahead of time.

If you really dont care if you do or not, then wait till you board.

Also there are always vendors at the ports selling excursions if you select to go with them at your own risk (that is a whole other issue).

Good luck with your decision.

Sea Ya

On one of our earlier cruises the excursion we had chose was sold out. Other cruises there were long lines at the excursion desk.

That started us with an odd routine. We usually book everything but the last port day. If we are tired, we take the last day off! If not, we book thru the TV.

I have seen conflicting reports on cancellations of pre-books. I read the website as saying you cannot cancel without penalty.

Ahead of time would be best, IMO. But regardless of which you choose, I would also recommend having a back up plan if you really want to book excursions through the ship. (I avoid it as much as possible, but sometimes that is the only option.) Perhaps I have just had bad luck, but at least one out of every three excursions I have ever booked with RCL has been cancelled, often at the last minute. Honestly, private excursions are the way to go. Never had a problem with being late to the ship, and never been cancelled on. (Even in Portland, Maine, when my husband and I ended up being the only people to book a tour - the operator did not cancel it, they ran it just for us!) The ports of call boards are loaded with excellent recommendations for tours.

That really is bad luck. After 13 cruises we have only had 5 RCI excursions cancelled. 3 were thankfully cancelled due to bad weather, 2 others were canceled for some unknown reason.

I admire those that put the effort into private excursions. Maybe someday we will try, but so far we prefer the relative safety of RCI.

Thanks everyone! I am thinking I may go ahead & book what we all agreed on for my husband & me and then cancel if it turns out we all can't do the excursion. I understand I can cancel 24 hrs prior to the excursion & my money is refunded, is that correct?

Thanks everyone! I am thinking I may go ahead & book what we all agreed on for my husband & me and then cancel if it turns out we all can't do the excursion. I understand I can cancel 24 hrs prior to the excursion & my money is refunded, is that correct?

You have a good plan! Exactly what we do! :)

LuLu

~~~~

If all of you want to do the same thing, and are SURE you want to do it, go ahead and book it. If it's just the sort of thing you'll be happy to do if it's available, then you can wait....if it's "make or break", book it now. You will have to pay at the time of booking, tho.