Titanic Versus Today

Chunky2219

I thought someone might be interested in this picture. Titanic vesus one of today's cruise ships.

Next time at muster drill when you are idly thinking about the implications of jumping off a ship, ponder on the fact tha you would be hitting the water a heck of a lot faster than the poor souls from RMS Titanic.

Sorry, I can't trace the original source but hats off to whoever did it. The big boy looks like one of the RCCL monsters to me, but there's a faint sign of a name on the front so I'm happy to stand corrected by anyone with better eyesight than me.

BYnVa9hCMAAwTk0.jpg

I thought someone might be interested in this picture. Titanic versus one of today's cruise ships....

You're right...Titanic II is going to look like a piddling little thing compared to some of the floating condos which are called cruise ships these days. She certainly won't be "The largest moving object made by man". If I remember the proposed proportions right the tips of her funnels will barely reach QM2's top deck.

Assuming Titanic II is built, the day she arrives in New York will nonetheless be a huge media circus here. The sight of a majestic four funnel liner might be the spark to help revive the sagging cruise industry and the preservation of historic ships such as the SS United States. Who knows if this would also lead to some retro ship designs. QM2 after all does owe her very existence to Cameron's Titanic.

I thought someone might be interested in this picture. Titanic vesus one of today's cruise ships.

Next time at muster drill when you are idly thinking about the implications of jumping off a ship, ponder on the fact tha you would be hitting the water a heck of a lot faster than the poor souls from RMS Titanic.

Sorry, I can't trace the original source but hats off to whoever did it. The big boy looks like one of the RCCL monsters to me, but there's a faint sign of a name on the front so I'm happy to stand corrected by anyone with better eyesight than me.

BYnVa9hCMAAwTk0.jpg

It's the RCCL behemoth, the Allure of the Seas. For some reason Cruise Critic won't let me copy the link to the original source, but a Google image search for Titanic and "modern cruise ship" will do the trick.

Edited by Thaxted

A different view:

1%23__+(10).jpg

Thanks for the pictures, if anything, Titanic looks larger than I would have expected! :)

I think that is Oasis of the Seas in the second picture (Just checked, it is Oasis. They are not identical twins).

Edited by pepperrn

You're right...Titanic II is going to look like a piddling little thing compared to some of the floating condos which are called cruise ships these days. She certainly won't be "The largest moving object made by man". If I remember the proposed proportions right the tips of her funnels will barely reach QM2's top deck.

Assuming Titanic II is built, the day she arrives in New York will nonetheless be a huge media circus here. The sight of a majestic four funnel liner might be the spark to help revive the sagging cruise industry and the preservation of historic ships such as the SS United States. Who knows if this would also lead to some retro ship designs. QM2 after all does owe her very existence to Cameron's Titanic.

Well at least that is one positive result of that movie. I would love to see more Transatlantic Liners being built. Assuming that Titanic II is built and used on the transatlantic run during the Spring, Summer and Autumn, does anyone here think that Titanic II will be tough competition for the QM2? I think that the QM2 would beat Titanic II in popularity but is there anyone here who thinks otherwise? Regards,Jerry

Well at least that is one positive result of that movie. I would love to see more Transatlantic Liners being built. Assuming that Titanic II is built and used on the transatlantic run during the Spring, Summer and Autumn, does anyone here think that Titanic II will be tough competition for the QM2? I think that the QM2 would beat Titanic II in popularity but is there anyone here who thinks otherwise? Regards,Jerry

Cunard will just take a wait and see approach and let Blue Star Line do the market research for them.

Queen Mary 2 will certainly win with stability and comfort as she benefits from an additional 90 years of shipbuilding development. She also has a full program of daytime activities while in Titanic's day passengers pretty much created their own diversions.

A lot will depend on how Cunard dumbs down QM2. Formal every night except embarkation/disembarkation nights, silver service... maybe some of QE2's fan base may prefer Titanic II. In any case it's all a theoretical argument unless and until the later enters service.

The market won't support two ships doing crossings.

David.

My first thought was "famous last words" on the subject but you are probably right. The fad if Titanic is built will wear off very quickly. One rough crossing and a lot of media attention and it will need a new market. Perhaps a southern market one without icebergs.

I am certain that the demand to travel on a ship of century old size and design will be just as great as the demand to travel on an automobile, aeroplane, dirigible, and railway carriage of similar vintage.

I am certain that the demand to travel on a ship of century old size and design will be just as great as the demand to travel on an automobile, aeroplane, dirigible, and railway carriage of similar vintage.

Actually, in the UK that is quite common. I have spent good money to enjoy antique steam vessels, antique steam trains, antique biplane aircraft and elderly automobiles. No airships yet but I would love to "sail" across the Atlantic on one of the famous airships from the 20s & 30s (well maybe not the Hindenburg.:eek: As far as the ship in question, i find it a bit morbid and would prefer them to re create the Queen Mary.:D

Actually, in the UK that is quite common. I have spent good money to enjoy antique steam vessels, antique steam trains, antique biplane aircraft and elderly automobiles. No airships yet but I would love to "sail" across the Atlantic on one of the famous airships from the 20s & 30s (well maybe not the Hindenburg.:eek: As far as the ship in question, i find it a bit morbid and would prefer them to re create the Queen Mary.:D

Yes, Jim, such excursions in antiques are popular in the US too. But no one is investing in building and operating new antique steam vessels, new antique steam trains, new antique biplane aircraft, and new elderly automobiles.

Newly built (helium filled) dirigibles are something else again. I'm a fan and I'll try to live long enough to cross the Atlantic in one. I guess that the odds of that happening are about the same as booking a Northwest Passage circumnavigation of North America on QM2.

Yes, Jim, such excursions in antiques are popular in the US too. But no one is investing in building and operating new antique steam vessels, new antique steam trains, new antique biplane aircraft, and new elderly automobiles.

Newly built (helium filled) dirigibles are something else again. I'm a fan and I'll try to live long enough to cross the Atlantic in one. I guess that the odds of that happening are about the same as booking a Northwest Passage circumnavigation of North America on QM2.

Under 5 years I reckon .Becoming quite common .

Cunard has a great opportunity here. They seem to be in a rut and I was

really surprised at the deep discounting a year out on most of their cruises.

Originally Posted by pmb1:

Under 5 years I reckon .Becoming quite common .

Cunard has a great opportunity here. They seem to be in a rut and I was

really surprised at the deep discounting a year out on most of their cruises.

Rather uncommon for ships as large as QM2, I think. But I hope your estimate is correct.

What continues to worry me about the North American circumnavigation is whether QM2 will fit under the Bridge of the Americas. All on line references say no, but just by a little bit. Does anyone have a contact in Panama City who knows for sure?

Found this on p. 51 of the Regulation for Navigation in Canal Waters:

4. Maximum Height:

The allowable height for any vessel transiting the Canal or entering the Port of Balboa is 57.91 meters (190 feet) at any state of the tide, measured from the waterline to the highest point. Height may be permitted to 62.48 meters (205 feet), subject to approval of the Authority on a case-by-case basis, with passage at low water (MLWS) beneath the bridge at Balboa.

QM2's air draft is 203 ft. Everything would have to be timed with clockwork precision for her to make it through.

Found this on p. 51 of the Regulation for Navigation in Canal Waters:

4. Maximum Height:

The allowable height for any vessel transiting the Canal or entering the Port of Balboa is 57.91 meters (190 feet) at any state of the tide, measured from the waterline to the highest point. Height may be permitted to 62.48 meters (205 feet), subject to approval of the Authority on a case-by-case basis, with passage at low water (MLWS) beneath the bridge at Balboa.

QM2's air draft is 203 ft. Everything would have to be timed with clockwork precision for her to make it through.

Thanks, BR, well done. QM2 certainly deserves special case treatment. Now the only thing we have to worry about is all that pesky ice.

The Irish Ferries "Oscar Wilde" is similar in tonnage to the Titanic. When a Cunard Queen is in Cherbourg she is often tied up next to it, so it gives a rough comparison to Titanic and a present Queen.

On a British isles round trip I was on in 2009, QM2 and Oscar Wilde sailed "in tandem" from Cherbourg to Cork, which was a nice little bonus.

Edited by Olliesmum
syntax

The Irish Ferries "Oscar Wilde" is similar in tonnage to the Titanic.
Titanic was 46,000grt. Oscar Wilde is 31,000gt.
When a Cunard Queen is in Cherbourg she is often tied up next to it, so it gives a rough comparison to Titanic and a present Queen.
Titanic was 882ft long. Oscar Wilde is 545ft long.

I don't think that there are many modern passenger ships of a similar overall scale as Titanic. Although some are of a similar length, almost all of those have a superstructure that is far higher, and, as a proportion of ship overall length, longer, than Titanic's.

Best wishes.

Edited by pepperrn