Oasis of the Seas ~ Eastern Caribbean ~ Solo Picture Review

mpoole3

We arrived in St. Thomas at 10:00 and I was off around 10:30. Pure craziness getting off the ship, I suppose everyone had the same idea as me. On a good note, I saw the cruise director for the first time! (Other than captain’s reception) Once off the ship they have the lizards on the rocks and I took 100 pictures just of them sunbathing!

IMG_0843_zpse60a5c60.jpg

There were five ships in port today - holy cow there was a lot of people in port. The ships were in the order from right: Oasis of the Seas, Norwegian Sky, Carnival Dream, Enchantment of the Seas, & Majesty of the Seas.

IMG_0549_zpsa851fe78.jpg

Love this photo. Nassau was my first cruise port and there were 5 ships in port that day. Voyager was the big one back then.

For sail-away I was invited to the private C&A helicopter party. Since when do they invite emerald members to this?

I've been told that it depends on how many C&A members are on board as to whom they invite. I was platinum on my first Allure Cruise and Emerald on my second and I didn't get the invite. I enjoyed being on the bow of Voyager and Freedom class ships, but my only disappointment with this class is no access to the bow for us commoners. By the 3rd time I go on this class, I will be diamond. (2016 or later)

and everything else is empty, which leads me to believe Samba Grill is headed for Oasis fall '14.

Oooh, speculation, love it! I wouldn't be surprised, but I've not heard anything official yet. I would welcome this addition if I decide to cruise Oasis.

PS - Thanks for the review, I love your perspective. While I hope I never had to cruise solo, I would if I had to.

For anyone who loves craft beer, here at the menu from the pub. (I didn't take pictures of the top with american beers, since all know what those are.)

Notice the * beside the beer = excluded from all drink packages.

IMG_1851_zpsdd35433d.jpg

IMG_1849_zpsd8797910.jpg

Thanks for the heads up on the beer exclusions! I would have been P*****(disappointed) if I have to pay extra for my Boddingtons. :rolleyes:

The sari style taxis are lined up waiting to take you. It was a little chaos with everyone yelling, "where are you headed?" If you are taking children keep them extra close to you, but what do I know? No kids here but I thought it sounded good.

IMG_0942_zps69670745.jpg

The cost to Magens Bay is $10 pp and the entry into the beach is $4 pp, plus $10 pp to get back. So this isn't the cheapest option, yet still cheaper than booking with the cruise line. There were three ships in port today and the beach was very busy, especially around noon. If you are looking for a quite day walk all the way to the left, it took me 10 minutes but I was the only one there. When I walked back to leave it looked like spring break on the beach it was so packed, literally people laying 6 inches apart. (Should have taken a picture.)

IMG_0927_zpse8a17284.jpg

IMG_0912_zps30a5020f.jpg

What a View...

IMG_0895_zpsfc772434.jpg

For anyone who loves craft beer, here at the menu from the pub. (I didn't take pictures of the top with american beers, since all know what those are.)

Notice the * beside the beer = excluded from all drink packages.

IMG_1851_zpsdd35433d.jpg

IMG_1849_zpsd8797910.jpg

I see they have the "British "New Castle" brown beer that I love.

Lunch today was at Park Cafe for a salad and I'm not sure I've ever had a salad that good before. They have plenty of options to add to the salad and most of them change daily. One thing Park Cafe should add is regular ice water. I just can't understand how the healthy food option does have plain ole ice water. They do offer flavored water, such as: mango, raspberry, strawberry, ect.

It's dark but you can see how big & wonderful it looks! I could eat those everyday.

IMG_0555_zpsfc1f93a5.jpg

So it's 5:15 pm and I'm feeling refreshed from my two-hour catnap I decide to turn on my cell phone. Guess what, FULL SERVICE AND INTERNET!! How did I forget that phones work in St. Thomas? I quickly started making phone calls to home, sending pictures, and email but no work emails :) Time started slipping away and I had to get ready for my 7:00 dinner at 150 Central Park.

IMG_1538_zpscba09880.jpg

It's my favorite time of the day, dinnertime! I arrive right at 7:00 and was seating and greeted by my waiter. He asked, if I had food allergies, how I wanted my steak prepared, followed by suggesting the wine paring for an extra $35 pp. I politely said, I had purchased the package and didn't want to spend more, since I was dinning alone and all. He went further and said I won't get the whole experience without the wine paring and I really needed it. At this point I felt a little uncomfortable, but stuck with my "no thank you" I requested the house red and he said he will go the another restaurant for it, since they don't carry the house brands at 150. So we were off to a little rocky start needless to say. Further, I overheard a different waiter greet his new table of two couples and he offered the wine pairing 3 times, followed by cocktails, so I wasn't the only one. Most have reported this meal will take 2 hours; well I was walking out at 7:50. Most likely because he was upset I didn't go with the wine pairing and I was dinning alone. Let's not forget the six servings are simply a taste. In fact, the steak was three bits and done, but I won't forget those three bits. To me this restaurant is not worth the cover charge, was it a fun experience, yes but I'd rather have Chop’s to be honest.

I'm going to post the next pictures in the order of the menu.

IMG_1541_zps68926dd8.jpg

IMG_1026_zpsd7ea66bc.jpg

After dinner was the Oasis of Dreams in the Aqua Theater. Now it's been two year since I saw the different aqua show on the Allure, but I really enjoyed this show on Oasis. The story line in the show was very enjoyable. It actually started raining at the show and the uncovered rows (first 6-8) started heading to the back. I didn't move because I know Caribbean showers just last a few minuets, most of the time that is. Also note: you want to arrive at least 20 min early, but I'd suggest 30 to get a prime seat. I arrived 20 min early and two seats together in the center were not open, but lucky me 1 seat dead center 5 rows up was open. (Perk of solo cruises, I suppose!)

9402866a-02a4-4c76-8506-091fd61f86ab_zps3644a3fe.jpg

IMG_1062_zpsf2c1aa3c.jpg

Comedy show was also tonight at midnight. I'm sorry I didn't bring my camera to this event, because I can only imagine the comedians making fun of me taking their pictures. Doors open 15 min before show time and if you don't have RSVP this is the show to get into. Everyone on standby got in our show, with a few seats still open. I could talk about how fun they both were (each 30 min) but they really drilled Carnival cruise line badly. Few jokes that stand out:

"Why do they really feel the need to add spoilers to their cruise ship? What's next tented windows?"

"The main difference in Royal vs Carnival is people sailing on Royal actually have credit and teeth!"

"Royal has to make their ships so large in case we need to go rescue carnival, I mean they did have 4 ships break down last year!"

I had a blast at this show; actually had tears coming down from laughing so hard, but just know they talk about everything. Race, polities, fat people jokes, sex and the list goes on and on. Don't want to bring kids to this show, believe me. (Crazy thing is they are allowed with parent)

I'm so sorry I didn't take any pictures, I was tired of carrying that heavy camera!

Edited by mpoole3

Day 5 - St. Maarten:

IMG_1189_zpsb2e8768f.jpg

This is my favorite port of call in the whole Caribbean, so can you imagine the smile on my face today! Well that is until I headed to the Windjammer and saw SIX, yes I said SIX cruise ships in port today. Holy cow - do these ships just follow the Oasis!? Oh well, I'm sure they wouldn't have this many ships if they couldn't handle it, right? Not sure I'd call waiting a half hour for a water taxi handing it, but nevertheless my turn finally came and off to the boardwalk I went. For those of you that have done the water taxi here before, they have upgrades the ships and they look nice. They come equipped with flat screens, beer, water (for a charge) also push Diamond international pretty hard. I suppose they help pay for all these new boats since they were painted all black with their logo.

LOOK AT ALL THOSE PEOPLE IN LINE!

IMG_1185_zps6fb033a6.jpg

The cost for the water taxi is $7 but includes unlimited access all day.

IMG_1186_zps85c5b88a.jpg

Edited by mpoole3

Anyways, that’s enough of those silly boats. I always have to buy something from The Blue Btch* Bar. This visit I purchased two coffee mugs and I was wearing an old logo T-shirt from 6-7 years ago, they noticed and gave me 2 free key chains.

My plan today was boardwalk for pictures and my only souvenir then French side or as the locals call it "airplane beach" I walked over to taxi to head that way and they wanted $24 to take me plus that to return. I think my mouth dropped and ask them if I could just ride with someone else, but no one was headed that way at 10 am from boardwalk. I just couldn't pay that for a 10 min ride to the beach when I was already at the beach. (One of the negatives of solo cruising) So I decided to lay at the beach on the boardwalk, sip on a few local beers and head back to the ship in a few hours. Once back onboard I went straight to the beach pool-this is where you can find me daily. Just love putting my feet down and water is there.

IMG_1158_zpsb567b288.jpg

IMG_1163_zpsbe6261d8.jpg

IMG_1168_zps2603bde7.jpg

Day 5 - St. Maarten:

IMG_1189_zpsb2e8768f.jpg

This is my favorite port of call in the whole Caribbean, so can you imagine the smile on my face today! Well that is until I headed to the Windjammer and saw SIX, yes I said SIX cruise ships in port today. Holy cow - do these ships just follow the Oasis!? Oh well, I'm sure they wouldn't have this many ships if they couldn't handle it, right? Not sure I'd call waiting a half hour for a water taxi handing it, but nevertheless my turn finally came and off to the boardwalk I went. For those of you that have done the water taxi here before, they have upgrades the ships and they look nice. They come equipped with flat screens, beer, water (for a charge) also push Diamond international pretty hard. I suppose they help pay for all these new boats since they were painted all black with their logo.

LOOK AT ALL THOSE PEOPLE IN LINE!

IMG_1185_zps6fb033a6.jpg

The cost for the water taxi is $7 but includes unlimited access all day.

IMG_1186_zps85c5b88a.jpg

Ohhh yeah...my home country...I've never done the water taxi there though, Mariner docked at the port last time I cruised there. Glad to hear its your favorite port of call

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Forums mobile app

Day 4 - St. Thomas:

I always do the same thing here, I know I should probably try something different but I just love Megan's Bay. But not before breakfast at Johnny Rockets - this is a free option with omelets, bacon, egg kind of reminds me of a Waffle House. If you are looking for a fast breakfast, but want to avoid the Windjammer this is a good option.

When you say "breakfast at Johnny Rockets - this is a free option:"

do you mean there is no charge? I thought there was an additional fee.:confused:

It's free for breakfast only.

We went to Johnny Rockets for lunch one day. Call me crazy, but it was the most enjoyable meal I had during the cruise. Don't get me wrong the food in the restaurants was great but something about have that bacon (thick cut applewood smoked)cheeseburger with the bacon cheese fries and onion rings that just hit the spot. Oh and the chocolate malt too!

You can't get any more American than that!! :D:D:D

Edited by believer33323

After my much-needed three-hour nap, I know kind of long but that sun is catching up to me! I have the Surfs Up Party at Seafood Shack. I wasn't really excited for some reason, but mainly because I'm tired of drinking! I purchased the non-alcohol package for $15 pp, since I purchase the alcohol package. But most purchase the 3 drinks + dinner for $25 pp. By the way, have I've mentioned today's review is written at the Schooner Bar with live music and some Tennessee Whiskey. Once of my favorite bars since they have live music, great views of promenade deck, rising tide bar, oh and great cocktails.

The surfs up party was fun with line dancing on the boardwalk followed by a few games for hats/key chains. The food just kept coming, in fact once I had to tell them no thank you on a basket of fried shrimp. They also gave you wristbands with tear off numbers 1, 2, 3 for the drink you are on. I never had number torn off mine and kind of got the idea they didn't care how many drinks people ordered, just wanted everyone to have fun. I don't think I'd do this party again unless I was in a group 4 or more. I did a lot of observing while I was there and the couples didn't look like they were having near the fun the larger parties were.

IMG_0827_zps2c0c3e59.jpg