Oasis of the Seas ~ Eastern Caribbean ~ Solo Picture Review

mpoole3

Day 5 - St. Maarten:

The cost for the water taxi is $7 but includes unlimited access all day.

IMG_1186_zps85c5b88a.jpg

FWIW, the walk from where the water taxi picks you up and drops you off is only about 1/2 and has a fully paved side walk. Its is only a 10 minute walk if you are not mobility impaired. Twice when I was there Allure was the only ship in port and the wait was 10 minutes to get this taxi. I walked and beat most people taking the boat ride.

Keep up the great review!

Since I was already out and about, I decided to explore the sports deck.

IMG_0605_zps6ffecac9.jpg

BUSY DAY!

IMG_0608_zpsee8e7d5d.jpg

That dude was on Allure when I was on it last year and he was awesome on the flow rider. Not much fun when your too good at it :p

View from balcony.

IMG_1203_zpsabffb948.jpg

Hi Michael. Loving your review and great pics. We are in that 2nd starboard cabin down from the top (11729)which you got great pic of...thanks. Of course it's Allure, but we'll still have this great view of St. Maarten!

Edited by BecciBoo

This evening was the 70’s disco street parade on the Royal Promenade at 11:15. However, people started showing up at 10:15 for chairs at pub. I stood at the photo shop and got there around 10:45 for a spot on the rail. I think this party is fun and everyone was dancing away having a blast. My only question is when are they going to change this to 80’s music street party!? Now that would be one heck of a party! Don't make fun I was born in the 80’s!

IMG_1342_zps018a9773.jpg

IMG_1351_zps5fa5c718.jpg

Day 6 - Sea Day:

I woke up at 4 am to the sound of my sliding closet door slamming shut and let me tell you I jumped up so fast, one would have thought my sheets were of fire! We were rocking badly and I typically don't notice. Okay back to bed I went. I woke up this morning and really had the urge to run on the track, so that's what I did. For some weird reason it felt like I was wearing weights or something or maybe it was all the food I've been eating? Jury is still out on that one. To enter the track head down to deck 5 and you can enter from either side. There were a lot of people on the track so be carful of your surroundings. I actually saw a guy go down face first trying to pass walkers in the running lane.

IMG_1400_zps72e10828.jpg

IMG_1394_zps8676b206.jpg

After my run I decided to have breakfast at Park Cafe and let me tell you I was upset I haven't been here for breakfast yet. For some reason I just haven't enjoyed breakfast on this cruise, from soggy bacon to fluffy instant eggs. This was hands down the best breakfast I've had in my 14 cruises with amazing toasted breakfast sandwiches, breakfast burritos, bagel line with all cream cheese, fruit cups (not that hard fruit in windjammer), and yogurt granola cups. I felt like I was at Panera Bread at sea with all these great options. For those that have not sailed on Oasis class, Park Cafe is free and located in Central Park. Can you guess where you can find me in the morning? :D

Thank you for taking the time to post this. I've not cruised an Oasis class yet ... not sure I want to do something that big. But I've been noticing some great rates on the Tuesday sale flyers and I may have to think a little harder about it.

You really should consider it. I didn't think I would enjoy that large of a ship and I gotta say I loved it. They really know how to spread the crowds so it doesn't seem crowded and so many venues & options to choose from. A group of us cruised on the Allure earlier this year and we are all booked on the Oasis in 2015. Can't wait. The Allure was beautiful, fun and really enjoyed it. Anxious to try the Oasis.

I'm about to start posting my review from the same cruise. I was a person who said I'd never do Oasis because I thought it was too big - but was "forced" to because of one of the Tuesday sales. Is it going to be my first choice of ship in the future? No, but no longer will I completely discount it as I really had an enjoyable cruise.

After my run I decided to have breakfast at Park Cafe and let me tell you I was upset I haven't been here for breakfast yet. For some reason I just haven't enjoyed breakfast on this cruise, from soggy bacon to fluffy instant eggs. This was hands down the best breakfast I've had in my 14 cruises with amazing toasted breakfast sandwiches, breakfast burritos, bagel line with all cream cheese, fruit cups (not that hard fruit in windjammer), and yogurt granola cups. I felt like I was at Panera Bread at sea with all these great options. For those that have not sailed on Oasis class, Park Cafe is free and located in Central Park. Can you guess where you can find me in the morning? :D

Mmmm. Good tip! :D Know where I'll be going in the morning to soak up the alcohol so I can drink more. :D

Really enjoying your review. Thanks.

Thanks for the kind words!

Fantastic review, we sailed her two years ago and are doing the westbound TA on her next year, did you get to the Diamond lounge? if so how was it and did you get any pics?

Unfortunately, when I sailed on Oasis I only had 73 points so was not a diamond member. I now have 87 points (double for solo) so next cruise I'll be a diamond lounge hog!

I do know the outside patio of the lounge is above boleros.

Tonight is the second formal night and my dinner plans are at Chop’s Steakhouse. This is my favorite restaurant with Royal, because no matter what ships you are on you know the experience is going to be outstanding. I've been to Chop’s 7 times and always ordered the filet; but everyone on cruise critic is suggesting the porterhouse, so I hope it's a good one! Thought I let you know I'm writing this from Vintages (wine bar) in Central Park. The decor is very interment and any men out there reading this bring the lady here for a romantic evening. A glass of vino, eating on some tapas and live violin player outside - just doesn't get any better than this. I used my bogo coupon from C&A for my wine this evening just couldn't do house wine here. Speaking of C&A coupons they are loaded on the seapass card now and you receive a printout of what coupons you received on the first day.

IMG_1529_zps188e6f39.jpg

IMG_1534_zpsd698e868.jpg

Okay I got off topic back to Chop’s. Dinner tonight was at 8:00pm and this restaurant was packed! I was offered their premium water’s, but I let them know tap water is just fine for me. I always get the jumbo shrimp and non-traditional Caesar salad. The porthouse steak was outstanding and perfect for those who love a big man steak. But the best part was the desert, the flaming hot crème Brulee. The waiter charged me by mistake and the cover charge is now $35 pp (was $30 pp) this is the second price increase at chops in the last two-three years. Seems like they are testing the market to see how much they can get for Chop’s. Does anyone know if this increase is across the whole fleet or just Oasis?

IMG_1542_zpsa4db1a75.jpg

Thanks for the kind words!

Unfortunately, when I sailed on Oasis I only had 73 points so was not a diamond member. I now have 87 points (double for solo) so next cruise I'll be a diamond lounge hog!

I do know the outside patio of the lounge is above boleros.

Michael - Have your cruise points posted yet? Mine haven't. Just curious.

Michael - Have your cruise points posted yet? Mine haven't. Just curious.

Mine haven't posted.

Mine have not posted as of this morning. I was just saying I know I'll be at 87 points for next cruise. They should post in the next few days.

Michael

Day 7 - Sea Day:

So today was my day to do things I didn't do all week, plus I was kind of over the sun at this point. First up was the zip line! They open at 9 am and I made sure to be there at 8:45 and of course I was the first one there. I geared up with the staff right at 9 and started to get a little faster heartbeat, but I wasn't scared... Okay, I was but just a little! I got up to the station and he asked, "Have you done this before?" I said, "no, first time" he respond with, "okay, sit down in your strap and be sure to stop yourself in the yellow on the other end" and just like that he pushed me away! At this point my heart really dropped! But I was fine and it was really fun! How have I not tried this before? The whole thing lasted around 10 seconds, but you must do this! In fact, there was a 73 year old doing it, so no excuses!

So now I was off to rock climb and headed to the Boardwalk. They only had one side open and I went up to find three employees all leaned over. I asked them if the rock was open? They responded with “Yes, but its too hot to climb.” I’m thinking what? I can deal with hot I lay by the pool all day everyday. But they were referring to the wall itself was too hot to climb. So my question is, why do they even open the wall? I did go check to see how hot the wall actually was and I don’t think I could have stood the heat from those rocks. They were like boiling hot. I’ve never rocked climbed in my 14 cruises and I really wanted to try it. So I guess maybe next time…

There was only one thing left to do, SHOP! I headed down to the Royal Promenade deck and I think half the ship was down here shopping. (10am) They were doing their typical $10 T-Shirt sale & $10 watch sale. I decided on my purchase got in a weird line that wrapped all around the gift shop. Stood in line for around 20 minutes. Finally my turn to checkout and guess what? Sorry sir, I’m going on break for 10 minutes. I thought my head was going to explode! I decided to just leave, before I did or said something I might regret. So I just went to the pub and ordered a beer! Please don’t judge me for drinking at 10:30am.

After my beer or two I had calmed down and decide to head back to the gift shop for another try. Well the lines are now almost twice as long, as they were just an hour ago. I saw the shop manager and approached him and expressed my concern and asked to not stand in that line again. He apologized over-and-over again and checked me out himself. Right before he handed me my bag, he said give me 2 minutes I’ll be right back. I’m thinking what’s going on? He returned with a bottle of champagne! So, off to the cabin I went to pack and couldn’t let the bottle go to waste…

So I know this is not recommend and always gives me a little butterflies. But I typically fly in the day of the cruise, life's short so why not live on the edge a little. My flight was out of Nashville, TN at 8:00 am & landed around 11:00 am. Nothing to really write about here, just a typical flight on Southwest - you know where bags fly FREE!

IMG_0467_zpsbf26568b.jpg

I'm from knoxville as well. Can you tell me what airline you took out of nashville and about how much it costs? I assume you didn't take "Tyson" b/c the prices were higher? I'm not leaving until the end of May and I know prices will be higher, just trying to get a feel about the price?