Freedom of the Seas - few questions

caral2004

Hello,

We will be cruising on Freedom of the Seas in February 2014 with our teenager (15 years old). Here is few questions (for sure I will have more to come!) :

- Is there any ping pong table on the Freedom ?

- Is there any pool tables on the Freedom ? Is it free to play ?

- Do we have to make reservation if he wants to try the FlowRider ?

- Should he takes lessons ?

- What about the climb wall ? Do we have to make reservation ?

- In Labadee, what do you think about the ZipLine for him ?

- And what about Dunns Falls in Jamaica ?

- Any advise for Cozumel and Grand Caiman ?

Thanks for your help! :) (and sorry for my bad English, I am French)

Hello,

We will be cruising on Freedom of the Seas in February 2014 with our teenager (15 years old). Here is few questions (for sure I will have more to come!) :

- Is there any ping pong table on the Freedom ? YES

- Is there any pool tables on the Freedom ? Is it free to play ? NO

- Do we have to make reservation if he wants to try the FlowRider ? FILL OUT WAVER ONLINE_WAIT IN LINE

- What about the climb wall ? Do we have to make reservation ?NO

- In Labadee, what do you think about the ZipLine for him ? NOT WORTH IT

- And what about Dunns Falls in Jamaica ? COOL_BUT I WILL NEVER GO BACK

- Any advise for Cozumel and Grand Caiman ?CHAKANAAB FOR COZ_BEACH IN GC

See replies after questions

Reservations for flowrider and rock wall are not available, but do have him fill out the waiver Online prior to boarding. That will make it much quicker once on board. We never had to wait very long for either activity.

While Dunns River falls is very, very popular, may I suggest you consider booking a private tour in Jamaica that includes Irie Blue Hole? We booked with Courtney Taylor and were extremely pleased. Multiple falls to climb (and even jump off of!), gorgeous natural pools for swimming in, rope swings etc. and for less money and none of the crazy crowds like at Dunns River.

Cozumel has way too many options to name including dolphin swims, good shopping, great restaurants and decent beaches. For GC, either do Seven Mile Beach if you want a Beach day or swim with the stingrays!

Thanks for the informationn! I will definitely tell my son to fill the waver online. I will also have a look on that private tour in Jamaica - it seems cool.

We'll see for Chakanaab in Cozumel and for the seven Mile Beach in GC.

Thanks! :)

- Is there any ping pong table on the Freedom ? Yes

- Is there any pool tables on the Freedom ? Is it free to play ? No

- Do we have to make reservation if he wants to try the FlowRider ? No

- What about the climb wall ? Do we have to make reservation ? No

- In Labadee, what do you think about the ZipLine for him ? No Problem for a 15 year old

- And what about Dunns Falls in Jamaica ? If you want just a quick trip to the falls to climb it, with a quick lunch stop and get back to the port to walk around and spend some time there, then do the Dunn's River Falls Express. You are there and back in about 3 1/2 to 4 hours rather than the all day trips that some other excursions offer.

- Any advise for Cozumel and Grand Caiman ? Lot's of excursions in Grand Cayman and Cozumel. It would depend on what you are interested in doing.

Sort of depends what you like. If you want to snorkel, check out Eden Rock in Grand Cayman on line. It is a short walk from the pier and you can rent all your equipment there. Haven't done it yet, but it has been highly recommended over many posts.

As for the Zip Line in Labadee, that's subjective. We did it and really enjoyed it. It's the longest "over water" zip line in the world. About 2500 ft long and drops about 500 ft. It is expensive, but sort of a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Dunns River Falls is beautiful, and not a bad choice. But again, sort of depends on what you like.

Can't help much in Cozumel, we usually just wander the town. We go to Pancho's Backyard for Margaritas and Mexican food (there is one at the pier now) but probably not a good idea for a 15 year old (Margaritas that is). :)

But lots of beach options as you have been told.

I'm sure others will have good ideas. Don't know how often you cruise, but if this is a one time deal, it'd be a shame to miss something special. So read the reviews and evaluate each. Suspect whatever you decide will be great.

I am a big fan of doing things you really can't do anywhere else. That being said I do think dunns river is awesome and it is a must see. It is very touristee and you will probable be offered drugs at some point, but just say no and move on. In line with that, no grand caymen trip is complete for me without seeing the stingrays and a trip to rum point. I've done the falls and the stingrays around 5 or 6 times and love it every time.

Regarding the Flowrider, we reserved a private lesson for our teenage sons and were really glad we did. If I recall, there were 7 people in the lesson (I think it's capped at 8). In that hour, they got very proficient at surfing (you could choose to working on stand-up surfing or boogie boarding) and had the best time. I was amazed at the progress all 3 of them made with the private lesson.

For the rest of the cruise, there was no other opportunity for them to get so much Flowrider time, so they were really grateful for it, plus it allowed them to use the skills they acquired for the few minutes they could get on it.

Those times do fill up early, so if you're interested, I would suggest booking something as early as you can. When we signed up, the majority of the open times that were left were during port days or dinner time.

You did not ask about this, but ice skating is free (included in the price of the cruise), including RCI supplying the skates and helmets. There might be a "teen only" skating time or two -- check the daily newsletter. And don't miss the professional ice show -- I suspect there will be 4 of them (same show repeated). Usually the last 2 shows are less crowded. There is also a full-size basketball court (deck 13 aft), which doubles for volleyball.

Edited by Jimnbigd

I'm going to give my version of the answers. As you can see I haven't been on Freedom since 2008, but most points still apply.

Hello,

- Is there any ping pong table on the Freedom ?yes

- Is there any pool tables on the Freedom ? NO Only radiance class Is it free to play ?

- Do we have to make reservation if he wants to try the FlowRider ?You don't have to, but if you think he would enjoy the lessons as my do, yes, go for it. Its value is subjective, but he would probably enjoy it.

- Should he takes lessons ?see above :)

- What about the climb wall ? Do we have to make reservation ?No, but check with the staff or compass for availability

- In Labadee, what do you think about the ZipLine for him ?

- And what about Dunns Falls in Jamaica ?

- Any advise for Cozumel and Grand Caiman ?

You did not ask about this, but ice skating is free (included in the price of the cruise), including RCI supplying the skates and helmets. There might be a "teen only" skating time or two -- check the daily newsletter. And don't miss the professional ice show -- I suspect there will be 4 of them (same show repeated). Usually the last 2 shows are less crowded. There is also a full-size basketball court (deck 13 aft), which doubles for volleyball.

Good relevant additions., I look forward to refreshing my memory of Freedom in 2015.

For Cayman Islands, I recommend Eden Rock for some snorkeling. It is within short walking distance of where the tender drops you off, and the Eden Rock Diving Center is a great bunch of folks where you can rent snorkeling gear, or bring your own. We bring our own. Just behind the dive shop are several concrete steps leading into the water where there is really great snorkeling, with coral and fish aplenty. The dive shop even has a fresh water shower to rinse your gear off, all at no charge. I went and bought a bunch of t shirts just to say thanks.

Here is where the snorkeling spot and dive shop are:

Google Maps

If you look 'up' you will see a marker for "Cayman Island National Museum". the piers opposite this is where the ship tenders dock.

Since it is so close you will likely have time to grab lunch in town and even take a cab to the beaches nearby.

I am a big fan of doing things you really can't do anywhere else. That being said I do think dunns river is awesome and it is a must see. It is very touristee and you will probable be offered drugs at some point, but just say no and move on. In line with that, no grand caymen trip is complete for me without seeing the stingrays and a trip to rum point. I've done the falls and the stingrays around 5 or 6 times and love it every time.

Agree with Richard 100% about Dunn's Falls and Stingray City - these are unique tours and should not be missed.

For Jamaica there are many good tour operators, take a look here on CC, or on Tripdvisor. In Jan. we will be using Marks tours for a combo of Dunn's and river tubing.

Grand Cayman, take a look at Nativesway Watersports for Stingray City, Reef and Rum Point combo with beach lunch. Have been the 5 times and never disappointed.

For a hassle-free day in Coz, just get a taxi to Chankanaab. $21 admission but worth it, especially if you want to snorkel.

Have a great trip!

Onboard the ship, I have not seen Adventure Ocean mentioned for your 15 year old. You should stop by early in the cruise and see how he likes it. My experience with various family members is that kids either love it or no interest, I think it depends on how they "click" with the other kids on first meeting.

We did flowrider lessons and although pricey it was a highlight of the trip, plenty of time on flowrider and a great way to learn without pressure. Great for videos also!

Désolé por mon anglais, je suis Americain. ;)

I wanted to say about Cozumel, look on line at the different deals offered privately about that Chankanaab we got MUCH better deal going directly through them.

The only part that kinda surprised me was the price of the pictures.

Not sure why they are soooo high but of course you have to get them. So I guess that make their value go up.

Honestly, we had a BLAST on Freedom.

Found we ran out of time for the rock wall but that was just poor planning on our behalf.

It was a wonderful trip.

ENJOY your time!!!

Chass

Just thought that I would start by saying, I had no problems understanding your post. Well done! ;) My daughter was 15, when we did Dunn River Falls & it still one of her favorite cruise memories. Also my kids took the lessons. I would recommend trying to get one earlier in the week, so he can continue to practice. Lastly, has he ever tried shuffle board? My son tried it for the first time on Freedom and now that is his special cruise past time.:p Hope you have a fantastic trip!

Edited by BLAMBKY

For Cayman Islands, I recommend Eden Rock for some snorkeling. It is within short walking distance of where the tender drops you off, and the Eden Rock Diving Center is a great bunch of folks where you can rent snorkeling gear, or bring your own. We bring our own. Just behind the dive shop are several concrete steps leading into the water where there is really great snorkeling, with coral and fish aplenty. The dive shop even has a fresh water shower to rinse your gear off, all at no charge. I went and bought a bunch of t shirts just to say thanks.

Here is where the snorkeling spot and dive shop are:

Google Maps

If you look 'up' you will see a marker for "Cayman Island National Museum". the piers opposite this is where the ship tenders dock.

Since it is so close you will likely have time to grab lunch in town and even take a cab to the beaches nearby.

Thanks for that addition, I am considering returning to Freedom in 2015 for this port again. (one more port than Oasis/Allure) This was helpful.

If you do go skating be sure to wear long pants(mandatory)

Hello,

- Is there any ping pong table on the Freedom ? Yes

- Is there any pool tables on the Freedom ? Is it free to play ? No

- Do we have to make reservation if he wants to try the FlowRider ? No

- Should he takes lessons ? Try it first, then if he feels he needs lessons, sign up.

- What about the climb wall ? Do we have to make reservation ? No

- In Labadee, what do you think about the ZipLine for him ? If he meets the age and weight requirements - go for it.

- And what about Dunns Falls in Jamaica ? We loved it.

- Any advise for Cozumel and Grand Caiman ? Cozumel - give Chankanaab Park a try. For Grand Cayman - give Stingray City or the Turtle Farm a try.

Thanks for your help! (and sorry for my bad English, I am French)

Your English is better than mine (I'm American).

Answers above in red. Pictures for some of the above below.

Labadee Zip Line (from June 2007 - before the pier was installed) ...

Labmap-s.jpg

The boy on the left is eleven (now 18) at the time of the photo ...

3lza-IMG_3085.jpg

The practice run ...

3lzb-IMG_3080.jpg

The real thing ...

3lzc-IMG_3089.jpg

IMG_2103.jpg

IMG_2152.jpg

Edited by Cuizer2

Climbing Dunn's River Falls was hard work - but a lot of fun ...

IMGP0395.jpg

IMGP0397.jpg

IMGP0409.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b103/ZefH/Dunns%20River%20Falls/IMGP0410.jpg[/]

:eek: WOW!!!! I am not sure if it was due to the time of the year or because our private tour arrived before ship excursions..... BUT it was no where near that crowded when we climbed the falls!!! Eeakkkkkkkk!!!!:eek: