Help choosing cabin on Grand

Mare10

I hope I'm in the right place for this question! We'll be doing the 15 day Hawaiian Islands cruise out of LA in 2015. A ways ahead but I'm already enjoying the planning phase.

On our previous two Princess cruises we enjoyed a Caribe deck balcony cabin. Wondering since this one is longer if we'd be happier with a mini suite for more space. I think a balcony is a must for us.

Any previous cruisers opinions would be appreciated. Would love a full suite but that's not affordable for us!

So... opinions on cabin type and location????? Thank you!

If you go for a Mini suite, take the ones on Emerald deck as they are covered balconies. Dolphin deck totally uncovered and with a few days of cooler weather, you won't use it. We always go for larger balconies on Caribe deck for our balconiy cabins.The best cabin we ever had for Hawaii was the corner aft facing on Caribe deck. We had some days of rain and we could sit out there without the rain blowing in. Friends with side facing had the wind blowing and rain on their balcony.

With that all said, we are booked to go to Hawaii end of this month. Prices really good so could have done Mini or Balcony cabin. Chose the Balcony side facing(aft facing was sold). There are so many activities on sea days, find we don't spend much time in cabin. In the mid afternoon I like to sit out there and read, rest of the day is for trivia, lectures, movies, sun on deck etc.

Enjoy your planning. Join your Cruise Critic roll call. A good part of the enjoyment of cruising is the planning and anticipation of the trip.

It depends on whether you spend time in the cabin. We do, and find all the balcony cabins only have one comfortable chair and a desk chair. We booked Caribe cabins when Princess had the old furniture with 4 chairs there, and would bring one inside, leaving three out. Now that they only have 2 uncomfortable chairs on any balcony below suite, we prefer a mini-suite so we have a comfortable place to sit and read.

Given a choice, I now prefer booking a Window Suite on the Grand/Golden ships. They run about the same price as a mini with great perks and location. I am not much of balcony person. It is the same size cabin as the full suites on the Sun Deck just sans balcony.

I just spent a lot of time on her sister ship, the Golden. Have been in several categories. Avoided Emerald Aft because it is above the Vista Lounge, has a little bit more noise, and much more vibration. Been in an inside, balcony, mini, Window Suite, and Penthouse Suite.

Thanks for all the great advice. I'll sit down with our TA in a couple days and get our cabin identified! I have a feeling that no matter what we pick we will have a fantastic time. I am totally hooked cruising!!!

I hope I'm in the right place for this question! We'll be doing the 15 day Hawaiian Islands cruise out of LA in 2015. A ways ahead but I'm already enjoying the planning phase.

On our previous two Princess cruises we enjoyed a Caribe deck balcony cabin. Wondering since this one is longer if we'd be happier with a mini suite for more space. I think a balcony is a must for us.

Any previous cruisers opinions would be appreciated. Would love a full suite but that's not affordable for us!

So... opinions on cabin type and location????? Thank you!

You need to answer the question of whether you felt cramped or crowded in the Caribe deck balcony cabin. For a longer cruise, having an extra sofa area can provide some additional comfort, especially in the heat of the day when the balcony is just a little too warm/hot. You would get that with the mini-suite.

We personally prefer the Caribe deck balcony because it offers us a choice of sun or shade, and is plenty big enough

If you go for a Mini suite, take the ones on Emerald deck as they are covered balconies. Dolphin deck totally uncovered and with a few days of cooler weather, you won't use it. We always go for larger balconies on Caribe deck for our balconiy cabins.The best cabin we ever had for Hawaii was the corner aft facing on Caribe deck. We had some days of rain and we could sit out there without the rain blowing in. Friends with side facing had the wind blowing and rain on their balcony.

With that all said, we are booked to go to Hawaii end of this month. Prices really good so could have done Mini or Balcony cabin. Chose the Balcony side facing(aft facing was sold). There are so many activities on sea days, find we don't spend much time in cabin. In the mid afternoon I like to sit out there and read, rest of the day is for trivia, lectures, movies, sun on deck etc.

Enjoy your planning. Join your Cruise Critic roll call. A good part of the enjoyment of cruising is the planning and anticipation of the trip.

Sue... do recall the cabin number of that one you mentioned? Sounds really nice!