Tipping in the WJ

oregand

Agree with Cigar King.

Automatic gratuity is in place to ensure that ALL staff receive their fair share. If you feel like the service was not up to par, you can adjust the amount before you leave the ship.

But by cancelling it all together and just tipping manually where you see fit is going to exclude a lot of people that are working hard behind the scenes to serve you. Think cooks, dishwashers, cleaners, laundry workers, etc, etc. ).

I'm sorry but the positions that you have listed above are not tipped positions. They do not receive a cut of the prepaid tips, period.

We often eat all our dinners in the WJ. That is why I always did and still do, treat my night time WJ staff as everyone else treats their MDR staff and tip them. That's why I will never pre pay my tips!! they have always been very appreciative of the tip.

This is why so many, that eat dinner in the WJ and never eat in the MDR hate this auto tip thing. Luckily-it is easily removed!!

I believe you are incorrect.

I hope you tipped all the other staff, like the cabin steward, dishwasher, etc. Do you realize that the WJ wait staff get a cut of the pp tips? I have a feeling that many who remove auto-tips do not tip more than $12 per day.

I hope you are not one of them. :D

Tipping 12 or 13 dollars a day does not seem unreasonable to me. I went to dinner last night which was $110 before tax, and then tipped 20% on top of that.

Edited by Roce48

I'm sorry but the positions that you have listed above are not tipped positions. They do not receive a cut of the prepaid tips, period.

I know that dishwashers in most restaurants get a cut of the wait staff tips. Where are you getting your info from, your tight wallet? :D

I hope you tipped all the other staff, like the cabin steward, dishwasher, etc. Do you realize that the WJ wait staff get a cut of the pp tips? I have a feeling that many who remove auto-tips do not tip more than $12 per day.

Tipping 12 or 13 dollars a day does not seem unreasonable to me. I went to dinner last night which was $110 before tax, and then tipped 20% on top of that.

I know that dishwashers in most restaurants get a cut of the wait staff tips. Where are you getting your info from, your tight wallet? :D

From the emoticon I take it those are attempts at humor?

I don't know what I am incorrect at but believe you me, I can guarantee I tip. Way more then this $12.00 a day figure being thrown around.

I have never said I tip less then the amount they recommend but I just do it myself. As long as Royal calls it a 'gratuity' I will 'gratuity' myself.

Tip the dishwasher-come on now people.!!!

Thank you for the lesson in culture.

These people are hired to work on a cruise ship. They are trained in cruise ship culture. There is no way, unless it is literally a worker's first day ever on the job, that they have not been told about tipping.

However, having been trained and told about tipping may not overcome a lifetime of enculturation that tips should not be accepted. In some Asian cultures particularly tips are frowned upon as giving excellent service is the honorable thing to do and nothing further than your salary is necessary in return. If I had always been brought up to believe that I think it would be difficult to overturn that thought in my mind.

You can do both. The thing about the auto tips is they get split amongst everyone, where as cash, well, that's likely going into the recipients pocket. Doesn't everyone deserve their share...especially when they are paid so little?
Yes they do

See, here's the thing. If you leave the autotip in place, you are totally covered. If you remove it as suggested by a previous poster, then you need to figure what to tip at EVERY venue (including breakfast and lunch) in order to cover everyone who serves you. Kinda dumb IMO, but if you do want a figure, just divide the recommended gratuity by three and leave that PER PERSON for each meal. E.g., if the recommended amount is $8 per person per day, then you might want to leave $2 per person at breakfast and lunch and $4 at dinner - so your group of five would be leaving a total of $20 for dinner.

Does that sound stupid? Yeah, I thought so - better to just leave the autotip in place.

So if I leave auto tip on. And leave a extra 5 or 10 after dinner that would be fine

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Who carries around all these dollar bills ? I minimize with my bathing suit in the day and never carry a purse in the evening..

I can give envelopes the last day...

I always carry some kind of thing to hold my seapass card: wristlet purse, small evening bag, or my beach bag (essential for sun lotion, kindle, etc) on sea days--tuck a few bills in, no problem. I guess that's as minimalist as I get :)

Teddie