No Liquid Soap on Equinox

lenbest

I have seen this post repeated several times over the years. It's one of those unexpected differences in expectations between the US/Canada on the one hand and the UK on the other. ;)

In Hotels in the US, the nicer the chain, the greater the chance that gel is stocked. At a Ritz or a Four Seasons, you'll get it. At a Westin or Marriott, you might get it but probably won't. At a Courtyard or a Holiday Inn, you won't. In any event, it's always considered a luxury and not a necessity. That's why Celebrity feels no need to tell anyone that Gel isn't stocked, because from where they sit in Miami they don't feel anyone expects that it will be there.

My suspicion is that British guests might now look at bar soap as slightly unsanitary and expect that it will be there. My guess is based on the shock expressed every time one of these threads starts. (If someone from the UK would let me know if I'm right or wrong, I would appreciate it).

I am fascinated by these odd little cultural differences. I'm not suggesting that one culture is better than the other rather I'm just curious about how they came to be different. I think many English-speaking peoples think our cultures are more similar than they really are.

Edited by BKFlowerMound

Finding this fascinating - not that they do or don't provide it, but the fact anyone would actually care. Please, shower gel aficionados, what's the attraction? And what's behind the aversion to the bar? I'm genuinely interested.

bar soap dries my skin out.,. even Dove. furthermore I LOATHE the slimy residue on the soap dish( if one is even provided. if there isn't one that's worse)

I really just hate bar soap in general and much prefer liquid soap for regular basic hand washing. I will never put bar soap on my face. In fact I occasionally toy with the idea of bringing my own travel size liquid soap for the bathroom . at least most public restroom carry liquid or foam stuff.

I do get the soap dish thing - that residue can be nasty - but in a hotel room they clean the bathroom everyday - is that not the case in a ship's cabin?

And I do get the need for liquid soap in public facilities - I'd be uncomfortable using a communal bar of soap too.

What I don't get is the notion that because it's liquid it's automatically a better product than a bar. The one time I did try the shower gel (provided in the hotel chain I frequent most because my loyalty status get's me an "upgraded" room :rolleyes:) I found it to be dreadful - sort of like washing up liquid.

I do get the soap dish thing - that residue can be nasty - but in a hotel room they clean the bathroom everyday - is that not the case in a ship's cabin?

And I do get the need for liquid soap in public facilities - I'd be uncomfortable using a communal bar of soap too.

What I don't get is the notion that because it's liquid it's automatically a better product than a bar. The one time I did try the shower gel (provided in the hotel chain I frequent most because my loyalty status get's me an "upgraded" room :rolleyes:) I found it to be dreadful - sort of like washing up liquid.

oh they do get cleaned.. twice a day in fact. and I don't think liquid is 'better' than bar, just different and in a form that I prefer.

Soap is used to wash my hands when i tinkle. or maybe when I spill my tasty umbrella drink( I know I know, alcohol abuse ;) ) and get all sticky. it is there for utilitarian purposes only. my face gets a cleanser that gets rid of makeup without stripping/drying my skin out. as for the shower, I just prefer liquid shower gel. smells purtier and lathers up way better than a bar of soap that slips outta my hand way too easily.

Yes, we noticed that there was no shower gel on Century last month ( Pacific Coastal). Thought it was an oversight by our room attendants as we have always had it regardless of cabin category. Went shopping today and found some unisex shower gel at Body Shop (200ml) that both DH and I could agree on. Had the sales clerks in stitches when I wished them a pleasant day and hopefully customers that were easier to accommodate. :)

Lure of shower gel vs. bar soap - quicker application to ensure more time to be out and about on the ship!;)

sppokwife, you've inspired me to try a different brand! I'll have to dig around in the stash of stuff I normally bring home for my wife to use - maybe there's some stuff from the 4 Seasons she hasn't found (l'occitane!).

Yes, L'Occitane products are great! I like the ones FS provides, but the Lavender body wash you can get in the store is even better!!

You think the cruiseline should tell you that you need to bring your

own soap?:eek:

Sorry, I disagree with you. Guess I am just easy. I feel like what is

provided works just fine.

I agree. However, we will be sailing in about 3 weeks, and are concierege. The other night I read the fine print on Celebrity's documents, and it does not list shower gel as being provided.

Speaking as somebody from England, I would just point out that the use of liquid soap and shower gel is a comparatively recent development. Everybody used to use bars of soap, just like you seem to still do in the US. But maybe twenty years ago, liquid soaps and shower gels came in and really took off, so that is what most people use these days in their homes. I imagine that eventually the US will catch up and follow suit. It is seen as the modern way, and soap is seen as old-fashioned.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Speaking as somebody from England, I would just point out that the use of liquid soap and shower gel is a comparatively recent development. Everybody used to use bars of soap, just like you seem to still do in the US. But maybe twenty years ago, liquid soaps and shower gels came in and really took off, so that is what most people use these days in their homes. I imagine that eventually the US will catch up and follow suit. It is seen as the modern way, and soap is seen as old-fashioned.

Amazing how damnably far behind the colonies can lag, especially those that have declared their independence. :D

In North America, gel dispensers in baths and showers are usually seen as containing a cheap and inferior product. Definitely downscale.

[quote name='Lois R']You think the cruiseline should tell you that you need to bring your
own soap?:eek:
Sorry, I disagree with you. Guess I am just easy. I feel like what is
provided works just fine.[/QUOTE]

Hi Lois:

I agree also and don't believe this thread is still going on.....

[quote name='Waterlily777']In North America, gel dispensers in baths and showers are usually seen as containing a cheap and inferior product. Definitely downscale.[/quote]

Unless, of course, it's AXE! [IMG]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/images/icons/icon10.gif[/IMG]

[quote name='wpgcycler']Unless, of course, it's AXE! [IMG]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/images/icons/icon10.gif[/IMG][/QUOTE]
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="4"]Gee, we don't get many teenagers posting here! :D

BTW, for our UK friends and some others, that would be Lynx instead of Axe.
[/SIZE][/FONT] Edited by Fouremco

Sorry! What I was really trying to say was that it is all really a sign of successful marketing campaigns by the makers of liquid soaps and gels, more than a 'cultural' thing Personally I am quite happy with good old soap! But my sons insist on having their gels.

[quote name='marylizcat']Sorry! What I was really trying to say was that it is all really a sign of successful marketing campaigns by the makers of liquid soaps and gels, more than a 'cultural' thing Personally I am quite happy with good old soap! But my sons insist on having their gels.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app[/QUOTE]
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="4"]No need to be sorry. I was just having a bit of fun with you. :) [/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Waterlily777']In North America, gel dispensers in baths and showers are usually seen as containing a cheap and inferior product. Definitely downscale.[/quote]

The success of companies like Bath and Body Works, the Body Shop, Lush and Fruits & Passion would suggest otherwise.

[quote=We're The Groupnors;40746456]The success of companies like Bath and Body Works, the Body Shop, Lush and Fruits & Passion would suggest otherwise.[/quote]

I'm not talking about the better quality gel products that you can buy in retail shops.

I'm talking about the bulk gel dispensers in hotels and ship. To date, whenever I've seen them, they have been in more downscale hotels and ships and are filled with and inferior product compared to the ones that you mentioned. They always translate to me as a cost-saving downgrade, and using the product feels to me like washing with dish detergent.

I have never seen the bulk dispensers in a 4-star-and-better hotel.

[quote name='marylizcat']Well, Celebrity must regard shower gel as upmarket, since it only supplies it to higher category cabins![/quote]

I am talking about the bulk gel dispensers that are installed in the showers as being downmarket, not the small gel bottles that are provided with the rest of the bathroom amenities.

The product in the small bottles is usually pretty nice. Any time I have had the bulk gel dispensers, the product has been awful.

[quote name='Waterlily777']I'm not talking about the better quality gel products that you can buy in retail shops.

I'm talking about the bulk gel dispensers in hotels and ship. To date, whenever I've seen them, they have been in more downscale hotels and ships and are filled with and inferior product compared to the ones that you mentioned. They always translate to me as a cost-saving downgrade, and using the product feels to me like washing with dish detergent.

I have never seen the bulk dispensers in a 4-star-and-better hotel.[/quote]

I've never seen a bulk dispenser in a hotel. Even Hampton Inns have small bottles of product, and that is far less than a 4 star chain.