Formal Night & Getting Dress Up ?

But we always look as great/modern in our opinion perhaps better than even formal wear or suits which I simply do not look good in. Also I have never owned a suit for years or tux, and was never invited to a formal event, and we are retired professionals.

Formal threads are always opinnionated either way, however, I dislike people telling others that it is necessary to dress formal, thus planting a seed in their brain that they must go out and buy something, like a ill fitting suit etc just to go on the cruise and it would be a $100 or more they cannot afford or will not need again.

IMHO, just look much better on Formal night, dress formal if you like you will not be alone , please no bib overhauls.

We love formal nights and actually dress up most nights. However, I don't expect everyone to dress up and would rather see people enjoying their vacation than worrying about formal attire.

We're not really concerned about paying extra for luggage because my cocktail dresses are smaller and lighter than other informal alternatives, and my BF packs so light that even the addition of his suite and dress shoes don't put him over one checked bag.

It makes it really special for us to dress up because we don't do it at home much. Back when I dressed for work every day with a suit, nylons and heels maybe I wouldn't have looked forward to dresses on the cruise so much, but now that we're casual (& comfortable!) at work, it's more special to dress up on cruises.

As a few of the other posters have stated, we dress up every night, not just on formal nights. Within the parameters suggested by the cruise line we will always change for dinner in the MDR. On RCCL, DH will not bother bringing his tux, since this seems to be worn by a minority now. Similarly, I will leave my long gowns at home and wear something slightly less formal. While I have no strong feelings either way, I find it sad that so few people respect the traditional way of dressing for dinner. It really is the 'me' generation.

I'm just curious about getting opinions regarding dressing up on Formal Night. How many of you get dressed up because you enjoy doing so? How many of you get dressed up because you feel some kind of obligation to do so, but rather not? How many of you don't get dressed up for Formal Night? TYVM

We get changed for dinner every night.As we feel we are going out to dinner each night. So we change into suitable cloths for the evening dress code. Just like we would if we were home and going out to dinner. And we love getting dressed for formal night. It makes a lovely change from our normal life to get all dressed up and eat in a lovely Restaurant.But since it is only a suggested dress code they can't turn people away if they aren't formally dressed. So we will always see people dressed in informal dress on formal nights. But for me personally to get dressed in formal wear on these nights is just part of the joy of cruising. But I don't let it spoil my night if people don't wear formal wear to the MDR on formal nights.It would make a lovely site if everyone did though.

I pack much lighter now that I have to pay for my bags! I used to bring 2 pieces of luggage and a carry-on, now I only bring one! I used to wear a different dress each night and gowns for formal night. This trip, I will color coordinate and downsize my wardrobe.

I wear a tux because I want people to know I'm a proper cruiser and know all the etiquette.

I think this is one of the best statements I've ever heard on this website. I completely agree! My DH and I always wear proper attire to the MDR no matter what others wear. It's a shame that in such a beautiful dining room with excellent cuisine and top service that you see individuals wearing jeans and baseball hats or tie dye tee shirts and shorts on captains night. I remember that when I first started cruising you weren't allowed access to the MDR unless you followed dress code and that kept a certain appeal to dining there. Trust me that have been times where we wanted to be casual and that's why we went to the WJ or Rita's per say. Our casual though is never jeans or sweatpants which now is becoming increasingly popular.

For my dh and I luggage weight is a huge issue. To eliminate a suit, dress, dress shoes for both, and accessories is HUGE! Lol.

We prefer to follow the suggested dress code for the dining room; therefore, I guess we do "dress up" and enjoy doing so. We also fly to all our vacations/cruises.

I cannot understand how luggage weight is an issue when people discuss dressing for dinner. To use the post above as an example, if you eliminate a suit, you still have to wear pants; a dress is a dress - doesn't have to be a formal gown; many cocktail dresses weigh less than jeans and a top. Shoes are shoes - you need them anyway! So, the only thing I can see makes a difference is the suit jacket! If you are really pushed weight-wise, the jacket could be worn on the plane!

I do not like to see shorts, baseball caps, etc. in the MDR, and respect a person's wish to dress in what they are comfortable, within reason and within the given guidelines, but I don't think airline baggage restrictions should be blamed as a major problem.

We prefer to follow the suggested dress code for the dining room; therefore, I guess we do "dress up" and enjoy doing so. We also fly to all our vacations/cruises.

I cannot understand how luggage weight is an issue when people discuss dressing for dinner. To use the post above as an example, if you eliminate a suit, you still have to wear pants; a dress is a dress - doesn't have to be a formal gown; many cocktail dresses weigh less than jeans and a top. Shoes are shoes - you need them anyway! So, the only thing I can see makes a difference is the suit jacket! If you are really pushed weight-wise, the jacket could be worn on the plane!

I do not like to see shorts, baseball caps, etc. in the MDR, and respect a person's wish to dress in what they are comfortable, within reason and within the given guidelines, but I don't think airline baggage restrictions should be blamed as a major problem.

I hope that you also read my other above post.

I hope that you also read my other above post.

Sure did - Basically I think we are in agreement on what is appropriate.

I just never can figure out the correlation (or what seems to be the correlation for many people; not just you in particular) about baggage room and weight.

I just feel pants are pants, a dress is a dress, etc. So often I read where someone says they don't have room for or don't have "weight" for Dockers and a polo shirt, and yet they do have room for jeans and T-shirt. It just doesn't make sense to me!

I wear a tux because I want people to know I'm a proper cruiser and know all the etiquette.

Couldn't have said it better myself! There is nothing like getting dressed "to the nines" and then going to dinner. It brings back memories of the golden days of sea travel.

Elvis

We will be traveling on FOS in march with my whole family (my family of 6 DH, myself and 4 boys 15,14,12,&6, my parents and my sister and BIL) we don't dress up much at home except for weddings, Christmas, Easter, ect. So I'm looking forward to everyone getting all dressed up. I Was a bit worried about my 12 year old who is autistic and has sensory issues with clothing but hearing about. All the non super dressed up people makes me feel better if all he'll put on is pull on dress slacks and a nice polo shirt. I think DH and I will get dressed up to go to a specialty restaurant one night, just because it makes it feel more special and I love the way he looks in a suit. .. lol

as posted earlier we dressed properly for formal nights. while we were dining (mtd) and scanning the room it was nice to see the much younger 20 somethings mostly dressed very nicely.

btw, what's up with older guys (over 50) and pony-tails? don't they know how silly they look?

Can you say "old hippie?"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

I'm just curious about getting opinions regarding dressing up on Formal Night. How many of you get dressed up because you enjoy doing so? How many of you get dressed up because you feel some kind of obligation to do so, but rather not? How many of you don't get dressed up for Formal Night? TYVM

If there are two or three formal nights we get dressed up for one. If there is only one formal night, we opt out completely and head to WJ. Often we will head to WJ even if dressed up. We look at the menu in MDR first.

I just never can figure out the correlation (or what seems to be the correlation for many people; not just you in particular) about baggage room and weight.

I believe the correlation is that our airlines charge per flight/per bag. Therefore, many people pack clothing that can be used throughout the week, rather than packing heavy garments for 2 meals through the week. If my husband could compact everything for both of us into 1 bag -- I'm sure he would! I would rather spend the money going to a specialty restaurant and enjoying the money that way instead of spending it to ship 2 bags... It's all about choices.

The 'suggested' attire in the dining room is just that ... a suggestion. Not "required to wear" in the MDR. Everyone is entitled to vacation as they wish. Some like to dress up in a tux, some don't.

I don't believe how I dress will be inappropriate, but I'm also not packing my $350 gowns to wear on a the ship either. Totally my choice.

So to see that someone should think the ones wearing a tux/gown are "proper cruisers" ... absolutely absurd.... As long as I've paid my money for passage ... I am also a proper cruiser no matter what I wear... or as many do wear then run back to their cabin as fast as they can to get into more comfortable clothing!

Again .... all about choices!

Edited by Pebbles468

I believe the correlation is that our airlines charge per flight/per bag. Therefore, many people pack clothing that can be used throughout the week, rather than packing heavy garments for 2 meals through the week. If my husband could compact everything for both of us into 1 bag -- I'm sure he would! I would rather spend the money going to a specialty restaurant and enjoying the money that way instead of spending it to ship 2 bags... It's all about choices.

The 'suggested' attire in the dining room is just that ... a suggestion. Not "required to wear" in the MDR. Everyone is entitled to vacation as they wish. Some like to dress up in a tux, some don't.

I don't believe how I dress will be inappropriate, but I'm also not packing my $350 gowns to wear on a the ship either. Totally my choice.

So to see that someone should think the ones wearing a tux/gown are "proper cruisers" ... absolutely absurd.... As long as I've paid my money for passage ... I am also a proper cruiser no matter what I wear... or as many do wear then run back to their cabin as fast as they can to get into more comfortable clothing!

Again .... all about choices!

what airlines do you fly that charges for the 1st checked bag per passenger?

AA allows 1 checked bag no heavier the 50# per person, plus one carry-on per person and one 'personal' bag such as a huge purse or laptop bag per person to be carried on. which frankly they don't really enforce. between us we had 2 checked bags, one hard-sided carry-on which they went ahead and checked through (at no cost). I had my laptop and assorted electronic's and wife had a jumbo purse. I rented a tux (don't own one) so I didnt have to haul a suit, dress shirts, dress belt, dress shoes 10K+ plus miles for 3 formal nights. the tux fit perfect and I wore it twice. once with bow tie and once with vest and long tie. the wife's dresses together certainly weighted less then one pair of jeans.

Edited by Sherlock43031