Does Carnival count a single person paying a double occupancy room as two cruises?

browneyedwoman

I don't understand how this thread even became a venue for people's opinions. The OP asked a simple question about whether or not Carnival DOES give extra credit... the OP did not ask if Carnival should or should not or why or why not. Why does everything have to turn into a flame war. You might as well just come out with, "What?! Are you an idiot?!?" , because that seems to be the meaning of an answer like that.

Well Becca, since you shared your opinion, I guess it is okay for me to share mine. I agree with BIGDOG. If a single is paying $500 for an inside room for 1 person, but I am paying $2,500 for 2 people in a balcony, why should I not get extra points since I had to pay more? And, it is based on the number of days you sail, not if you sail alone or how much you paid.

Edited by Mrs007

There appear to be personal assumptions by some that most solo passengers are only booking interior cabins.

Some solo cruisers know up front about the 200% (or sometimes less) requirement, and plan accordingly on a wide variety of accomodations. If they are willing to do that, I'm not personally aware of why they would suddenly become 'frugal' once onboard.

CCL is often referred to as the cruise industry leader, so perhaps they'll make some interesting future adjustments (for this small sector of its passenger base) that will make the rest of the industry stop and take notice.

This is not always true. My S and S balance was higher than my parents bill when we sailed together. They had the two of them in one cabin and I paid for my own cabin. They didn't order any alcoholic beverages and I ordered several. I still only received credit for one cruise but in effect paid for two people.

I realize it's not always true, but I believe the majority of times the solo cruiser isn't generating and equal amount of on board revenue that a double occupancy cabin is. And the crew is absolutely short on tips that week.

I don't understand how this thread even became a venue for people's opinions. The OP asked a simple question about whether or not Carnival DOES give extra credit... the OP did not ask if Carnival should or should not or why or why not. Why does everything have to turn into a flame war. You might as well just come out with, "What?! Are you an idiot?!?" , because that seems to be the meaning of an answer like that.

This is a discussion board. How boring would it be if there were just a bunch of yes or no posts.........like someone else said, if a person wants a yes or no answer or an official answer without commentary then they need to contact the cruiseline directly.

There appear to be personal assumptions by some that most solo passengers are only booking interior cabins.

Some solo cruisers know up front about the 200% (or sometimes less) requirement, and plan accordingly on a wide variety of accomodations. If they are willing to do that, I'm not personally aware of why they would suddenly become 'frugal' once onboard.

CCL is often referred to as the cruise industry leader, so perhaps they'll make some interesting future adjustments (for this small sector of its passenger base) that will make the rest of the industry stop and take notice.

Very good point! I cruise solo and I have booked an Aft Wrap premium balcony on a past Carnival cruise and have one booked for my next one too. Do I spend as much as two person's would in the cabin? No, but I am also not "frugal".

For me as a solo cruiser I do plan accordingly based on what it will cost me to book my preferred cabin category. I'm glad you put this out there.

I know this is the Carnival board but RCI's policy is BONUS points, not double points.

Base Points (double occupancy) 1 point per night cruised on inside/outside/regular balcony cabins.

Category Junior Suite and higher (double occupancy) 2 points per night cruised.

SOLO Base Points for inside/outside/regular balcony - 1 Point per Night + 1 Bonus Point per night (2 per night basically)

SOLO for Category Junior Suite and higher - 2 points per night + 1 bonus point per night (3 per night).

Someone mistakenly called them double points when announcing the program but it is only "double" on lower categories, and a 50% bonus on higher categories, but higher categories were "double" base categories to start with.

There is no way on RCI to earn 4 points per person per night; only 1, 2 or 3.

Those that suggest Carnival should award points doubly on suite level can point to RCI policy, and for solo to earn bonus points as well.

I recently cruised solo with a 15% supplement and got my bonus points. It's a tough business case to offer discounts for solo's so I think the bonus points is a good scheme honestly.

I was looking at the Princess website and they are under the Carnival umbrella. Princess clearly states that for their rewards program they will give a single cruiser in a regular room that pays double occupancy credit for two cruises. I think this is fait because it was what the single cruiser is required to pay. Is Carnival supposed to do that also?

No they don't, no they should not, and it wouldn't matter if it did. The Princess loyalty program is based of cruise days OR number of cruises. Carnival dropped number of cruises as a criteria.

Carnival also offers a number of cruises with NO (zip, zero, nada) single supplement.

That is more of recent exceptions to the rule than the norm. Generally speaking, cruise for cruise, a solo passenger will pay 25%-100% more to book a cabin versus per person costs for double occupancy.

When you rent a hotel room you pay the same for 1 people as you do for 2, don't you? The supplement for solo cruisers is to help offset lost revenue of onboard spending from a potential 2nd guest in that room.

That is more of recent exceptions to the rule than the norm. Generally speaking, cruise for cruise, a solo passenger will pay 25%-100% more to book a cabin versus per person costs for double occupancy.

When you rent a hotel room you pay the same for 1 people as you do for 2, don't you? The supplement for solo cruisers is to help offset lost revenue of onboard spending from a potential 2nd guest in that room.

not when the hotel room includes meals...

a cruise ship cabin with 1 can be offset by a cabin with 3 until max capacity of the ship is reached.

not when the hotel room includes meals...

Good point

a cruise ship cabin with 1 can be offset by a cabin with 3 until max capacity of the ship is reached.

Could be, doesn't mean it will be. And I'm curious what the breakdown is between the 3rd PAX being a child versus an adult as the revenue is likely to be different.

Every cruise line markets their loyalty program differently and with changes from time to time as they see fit. What works for one line doesn't necessarily work for Carnival. I don't think it would be unfair for someone paying a supplement to ask for or receive some additional amount or pro-rated amount of credits.

It's an interesting cube; so many sides to look at it from.

I am sorry if I offended you. I was using the interior/balcony as an example. I in no way meant solo cruises ONLY book interior rooms.

Shouldn't booking a cabin work like booking a hotel room? I've travelled before on business and when booking a room at a hotel, I've always paid double occupancy - the hotel doesn't charge half-price for the room just because I'm the only one staying in it.

It does stink to pay double, but I've always thought of it as paying for the cabin, just like at a hotel.

Dear brownedeyedwoman,

As in most things dollars make the actions done best. Having half the normal occupancy in a cabin or hotel room makes a lot less revenues generated too. Some newer ships are catering now to more solo cabins on ships.On the programs I think getting double if paying double/triple/quadruple does make sense.

I also wish having more common stock shares than the basic, only 100 share Shareholder requirement should also get a lot more OBC too.. but alas the dividend does that.. more shares..more dividends but not the dividend amount per share nor how many shareholders per cabin....;) CCL/CUK :NYSE/LSE

Hello. I don't have any cruise line stock but I agree that there should be more diverse benefits depending on the amount owned. By the way, what do the initials after your post stand for?

Should the solo traveler get double points ONLY if they pay the 200% supplement? What if they get a deal and pay 15% more? Can you imagine trying to dole out the points based on the percentage of solo supplement?

I read where there were several sailings with only a 10% supplement. Many people reported they booked two solo's because for the extra 10% they got two bathrooms. For that 10% each of the cruisers should get double points?

Yes, many. I think it was Oasis running the 10% supplement . . .

Apologies

I thought you were referring to Carnival Cruise Lines.

:o

Would YOU award double points with a zero subsidy?

Nope. I would not.

Nor would I expect it as the consumer. ;)