Disappointed in NCL - Won't bend policy for cancer victim

sdmike

I was more disappointed in NCL for this than anything else. They had an opportunity to "do the right thing" for a customer that was diagnosed with gall bladder cancer and needed emergency surgery just days before their cruise. NCL cited "policy" and didn't even offer a credit that could be used to sail once (if) the pax got better.

We know the ship staff are awesome, and I've been lead to believe that Kevin Sheehan is a down to earth nice guy, but sounds like the hit-and-miss corporate office struck out on this one...even after contacted by the author of the article. How did they NOT know this would end up in the LA Times with them having egg on their face?

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-lazarus-cruise-20131115,0,5836172.column?page=1

Sorry, I don't agree, I am very sorry for this person's heath issues, but it was clearly part of the agreement with the original purchase that this person agreed with. Why would they think they should get an "exception"??? I also had some severe health issues this year, and missed THREE cruises. Did I even think I should get any refunds? NO, I did not.

I was more disappointed in NCL for this than anything else. They had an opportunity to "do the right thing" for a customer that was diagnosed with gall bladder cancer and needed emergency surgery just days before their cruise. NCL cited "policy" and didn't even offer a credit that could be used to sail once (if) the pax got better.

We know the ship staff are awesome, and I've been lead to believe that Kevin Sheehan is a down to earth nice guy, but sounds like the hit-and-miss corporate office struck out on this one...even after contacted by the author of the article. How did they NOT know this would end up in the LA Times with them having egg on their face?

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-lazarus-cruise-20131115,0,5836172.column?page=1

Why don't you call the subject: Another reason to have insurance?

These people did self insurance and now don't like the result.

Explain why you blame for somebody not getting insurance. Would you also blame a medical insurance for not covering you if you called the insurance a year back? Same thing.

Folks. Please read the thread before you keep responding to my original post. I got it. I said I was reacting more to the pax view out of empathy. I fully get the business reason, plus the topic of risk and personal responsibility. I wish I could take this back. It was typed in a moment of feeling bad for someone dealing with something so traumatic.

We had a loved one pass due to ALS and ran into a similar situation leading up to a cruise. He took a dramatic turn for the worse and was unable to go. Thinking back to that time I was very empathic to the plight of someone that really is surprised by something like this. On top of cancer, being out $4,500.

Yes, I stand corrected. I'm no longer disappointed at NCL, but rather sad for the passenger and their family. I get it. No need to keep repeating the same thing

Edited by sdmike

I really don't understand why somebody with a pre-existing condition would even think of not buying the trip insurance.

It doesn't sound like it was pre existing as it was EMERGENCY operation.

We don't buy insurance and know we take that chance

Most insurance policies will only cover pre-existing conditions if purchased at time of cruise..

My GF is a cancer survivor and as a man having to watch her going thru all the surgeries and Tx's is pretty tough.

If I was in this situation.

I would have gone up the chain and sent a letter to Kevin Sheehan and ask him for help

But sitting at his wifes bed side, reading an article in the newspaper, I might have called the times as well.:o

Edited by jonbgd

Cripes folks. Please read the thread before you keep bashing my original post. I got it. I said I was reacting more to the pax view out of empathy. I fully get the business reason, plus the topic of risk and personal responsibility. I wish I could take this back. It was typed in a moment of feeling bad for someone dealing with something so traumatic."""

Hhhehehehe Oh Mike . You should know that once the blood hits the water ,

Theres Noooo stopping them ..

Just wait it out and take your beating like the man you are :p

And up next we will disucss people with walkers in the buffet ..

Edited by mpk218

I guess that is a reason for buying travel insurance with cancellation provision. To protect you from the unknown. You would be surprise to find out how many people have to cancel because of an operation, stroke, heart attack and yes cancer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Hhhehehehe Oh Mike . You should know that once the blood hits the water ,

Theres Noooo stopping them ..

Just wait it out and take your beating like the man you are :p

And up next we will disucss people with walkers in the buffet ..

Yep...I'm ready. lol

13865d1345742551-hill-out-season-iowa-flamesuit.jpg

Or maybe it's this

perseverancedemotivator.jpg

Or maybe we'll move beyond beating the dead horse to this (it's from a Jim Carey movie, folks. It's not real.)

We+ve+moved+on+from+beating+a+dead+horse+to+a+_2925e3548ddde6756beb788338ec32f7.gif

Edited by sdmike

No, they are not. Sorry for the victim, but when we elect not to have insurance, it is our risk. After a bad experience with trip insurance, we do not have it on any of the cruises listed in my signature. We know that if we cannot make it, it is our risk we chose to take.

Have you thought about getting medi vac'd from the ship? Getting hurt or sick in another country etc? Insurance is so much more than cancelation.

Folks. Please read the thread before you keep responding to my original post. I got it. I said I was reacting more to the pax view out of empathy. I fully get the business reason, plus the topic of risk and personal responsibility. I wish I could take this back. It was typed in a moment of feeling bad for someone dealing with something so traumatic.

We had a loved one pass due to ALS and ran into a similar situation leading up to a cruise. He took a dramatic turn for the worse and was unable to go. Thinking back to that time I was very empathic to the plight of someone that really is surprised by something like this. On top of cancer, being out $4,500.

Yes, I stand corrected. I'm no longer disappointed at NCL, but rather sad for the passenger and their family. I get it. No need to keep repeating the same thing

Maybe you could contact the moderators and ask them to either lock the thread or see if you can edit your title and/or original post ... or we can all respond to lots of other posts so this one drops down a few pages :)

Or we could start up with who is going to bring the bacon:)

But to keep on topic, buy insurance!

Hey now, I've been very specific about what I'm bringing....it's only MAPLE SYRUP...and unless you have maplesyrupinsurance....you won't get any....

'nough said... no insurance .... :) ;)

Edited by B6ConMe

Wait a minute. .. I can buy bacon insurance??

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Forums mobile app

Ya know the bacon is actually quite good...insurance will likely be quite reasonable, however, THE MAPLE SYRUP, on the other hand is really what needs insuring...........and will likely be quite expensive if I have anything to say about it............hehehe :p

Ya know the bacon is actually quite good...insurance will likely be quite reasonable, however, THE MAPLE SYRUP, on the other hand is really what needs insuring...........and will likely be quite expensive if I have anything to say about it............hehehe :p

Maybe if they just charged us an extra $45 per one week cruise we could get it right! $25 per person for trip insurance, and another $20 to guarantee real OJ, good bacon (without bacon police), and real maple syrup!

I guess people would then just complain about the $45 :)

Or if NCL charged separately for each of these, they'd be accused of nickel and diming.

Edited by sdmike

Maybe if they just charged us an extra $45 per one week cruise we could get it right! $25 per person for trip insurance, and another $20 to guarantee real OJ, good bacon (without bacon police), and real maple syrup!

I guess people would then just complain about the $45 :)

Or if NCL charged separately for each of these, they'd be accused of nickel and diming.

Mike --- You might want to check to see if NCL gives you a "Veterans Discount" for surviving the Cruise Critic beatings !!!!:D