Late dining wait list question

CelebrityChuck

Hi, everyone,

We have a small group (five couples in five cabins) on Celebrity Reflection in two weeks, and one of the couples is stuck in early dining, while the other four couples are all confirmed for late dining. We've all been cross-referenced since booking, many months ago, because we want to dine together at a table for ten.

My question is, despite the fact that their wait list status hasn't cleared, what do you think about their chances? Do you think the eight of us will be in late dining, and the other two will be stuck in early?

In 30 years of cruising, I've never had this happen. The TA said there's nothing she can do. I'm very anxious about it.

Thanks in advance for any insight you might be willing/able to share.

All the best,

Charlie

Edited by CelebrityChuck

Hi, everyone,

We have a small group (five couples in five cabins) on Celebrity Reflection in two weeks, and one of the couples is stuck in early dining, while the other four couples are all confirmed for late dining. We've all been cross-referenced since booking, many months ago, because we want to dine together at a table for ten.

My question is, despite the fact that their wait list status hasn't cleared, what do you think about their chances? Do you think the eight of us will be in late dining, and the other two will be stuck in early?

In 30 years of cruising, I've never had this happen. The TA said there's nothing she can do. I'm very anxious about it.

Thanks in advance for any insight you might be willing/able to share.

All the best,

Charlie

The time of year you're cruising it's a very good chance late seating will be available. Fingers crossed for you!

You aren't on the November 30th voyage are you? If so, there is a group of about 1000 people sailing. Word is that most requested late dining and that filled up. I'm not a part of the group, but those on our roll call from the group are super nice and informative...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You're welcome!

I would also head right to the Maitre d when you board the ship.

Maybe someone on the CC board can answer this....Will a tip to the Maitre d help?

No tip is needed. Most cruises late is far less crowded than early. If the situation were the other way around, I'd say you might have a problem.

Edited by CRUZBUDS

You aren't on the November 30th voyage are you? If so, there is a group of about 1000 people sailing. Word is that most requested late dining and that filled up. I'm not a part of the group, but those on our roll call from the group are super nice and informative...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WOW!!! Is there a way to find out if there is a large group on your cruise? I did one cruise with a large group on board and many places were closed due to private parties. VERY frustrating to miss out on o much on the ship.

WOW!!! Is there a way to find out if there is a large group on your cruise? I did one cruise with a large group on board and many places were closed due to private parties. VERY frustrating to miss out on o much on the ship.

Google the date, ship name and add the word group.

The group (at least one of the groups) on the reflection is Pied Piper.

http://www.piedpipertravel.com/gaygroupcruises/cruise-info.php?id=109

We have traveled on ships with their groups before and they've been wonderful cruisers.

Another group on that cruise is Christine’s Fitness & FAWP – Ladies Health, Wellness & Fun At Sea!

http://mygroupatsea.com/christines/

http://mygroupatsea.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Christine_Marilyn_At_Sea_BK_Form.pdf

No idea if this is a large or small group

Edited by ghstudio

Thanks very much for the insight, 20pluscruises, Classynfun1, CRUZBUDS, and ghstudio.

A friend of mine, who works for Celebrity, had told me about the Pied Piper group, awhile back, and I knew they had more than 1,000 guests in their partial charter, but I didn't put two and two together to make the connection with our difficulty getting that last couple in our group on late dining.

I've heard they are good people. It's an LGBT community group, which ought to be a lot of fun.

My gut tells me that our fifth couple will be pulled into late dining, whereas they are cross-referenced for dining with we four couples who are confirmed for it, but I'm taking no chances. I will go directly to the maître d', upon boarding, and I will have a fifty dollar bill in my hand.

I'm prepared for the worse case scenario, which is all of us dining together at the early seating. Not too bad, considering none of us are port people. We go for the shipboard experience.

Besides, we'll all be on a cruise. How could life get any better!?! :)

Edited by CelebrityChuck

if you can't all get the same dining time try this solution.

Since 4 of the 5 have late dining each one could take a turn going to a special restuarant by themselves as a break from the crowd for their own date night. You don't need to be tied at the hip for 7 days, and this gives the excuse to get a break without creating hard feelings. That will take care of 5 nights. On one of the 6 days all could go to Qsine. That leaves one night out of the 7 that another couple or so decide to use for another alternate dining plan.

Always look at the bright side, many times times turn out better than planned.

🎄🎅

What a fun group to have on your cruise!!!

I forgot...on our last cruise there was a motorcycle group. It was really neat to look out on the balcony and see all of the bikes lined up at each port. What a way to see the islands! We were not aware there was a group on the ship till the first port of call.

I'm actually troubled that if all the reservations are cross-referenced, how did one couple get assigned to a different dining time? Shouldn't that be corrected before you board?

I couldn't agree more, baggal. In the past, if anyone was wait-listed for dining and cross-referenced to bookings with confirmed dining, the confirmed dining bookings would pull the wait-listed people to a confirmed status, prior to document issuance.

I believe the anomaly, in this particular case, is the 1,000+ guest group. Partial ship charters always adversely impact the individual bookings.

My plan is to hope for the best and tip heavily when I visit the maître d'.

Thanks very much for the insight, 20pluscruises, Classynfun1, CRUZBUDS, and ghstudio.

A friend of mine, who works for Celebrity, had told me about the Pied Piper group, awhile back, and I knew they had more than 1,000 guests in their partial charter, but I didn't put two and two together to make the connection with our difficulty getting that last couple in our group on late dining.

I've heard they are good people. It's an LGBT community group, which ought to be a lot of fun.

My gut tells me that our fifth couple will be pulled into late dining, whereas they are cross-referenced for dining with we four couples who are confirmed for it, but I'm taking no chances. I will go directly to the maître d', upon boarding, and I will have a fifty dollar bill in my hand.

I'm prepared for the worse case scenario, which is all of us dining together at the early seating. Not too bad, considering none of us are port people. We go for the shipboard experience.

Besides, we'll all be on a cruise. How could life get any better!?! :)

I noticed that you are Elite I would therefore have a word with the hostess she sorted a lot of problems for me and was really great worth a try

I noticed that you are Elite I would therefore have a word with the hostess she sorted a lot of problems for me and was really great worth a try

That's a marvelous idea, mcdermott! We will definitely do that, in the event our luck isn't very good with the maître d'. Thank you for the tip.

Your whole group should do specialty dining the first night - usually a half off offer. So you all have dinner as a group for sure one night.

The rotating couple idea is a good one too! Everyone always wants a special night alone with their special other....!

I am past of PP group, and looking at the schedule let me suggest the following:

San Juan, expect lots of us to come back late and miss late dining (port is 3-9pm). You'll have NO issue getting a big table that night.

St. Maartin, PP hosts a big beach party, and I expect many to come back a bit sunburned, dehydrated, and perhaps a bit too full of the local liquor and beer :D This night as well I'd expect many vacancies at dinner.

And one night, not yet sure, but I imagine it will be the last formal night, PP hosts a costume party for its group, so I expect many to skip dinner to get ready for that party which happens after dinner.

I wouldn't get too concerned about the mechanics of it until you board and then go with the flow...!