How bad is it?

iluvcruises

We've done it a couple of times both in inside cabins on the Sky and I would hope the insides on the Breakaway are a little larger. If everyone is trying to get things done at the same time it can be interesting. The showers in the gym should be available which can help.

We've done it, the family of 4 and the kids are full size 15 and 18. We survived but swore we wouldn't do it again. A sense of humor is manditory and our kids nor us are bathroom hogs who need a lot of prep to go out. Oh, did I mention our xmas cruise in a month we are all 4 in an inside together?!! It's not bad, sure brings the family closer!:p

It is definitely doable. We did it several times. My poor wife was so out-numbered by the boys and I. I made sure she had free time in the room. The key was timing the shifts in the bathroom. Other than that no big deal.

That being said, so long as I can afford it, I will be getting us separate rooms

The Breakaway cabins are just too small. We had 3 in balcony cabin and it was very tight. I had to stand on the bed to reach the closet.

EDIT TO ADD: I don't even think there's enough closet/drawer space for a 4th person's belongings.

Edited by ibcnusoon

Just wondering how bad four people (2 adult & 2 kids) in a standard cabin is on the Breakaway? Is it do-able for the amount of time in the cabin? Thanks!

Depends on how much time you like to hang out in the cabin all together. If you are there to sleep and maybe relax a bit here and there during the day, you'll be fine. If, however, you enjoy dining in your room, etc, it will be tight.

Totally doable however - its a big ship with plenty of areas to explore.

If it means getting on the ship vs. not, GO FOR IT!!

You might find two cabins more to your liking - book 1 adult and 1 of your kids in each. Sometimes the cost isn't much more at all vs. packing 4 into a room.

We haven't been on the breakaway yet (Dec 8th!) But we have done 4 in an inside cabin on the Gem and Dawn. We did not have a problem at all. I would just go back a little earlier then DH and sons and get my shower out of the way. You are not in the room much anyway! We also had an inside booked for the Breakaway but recently upgraded to a balcony after a price drop. As another poster said, if it makes a difference between going on a cruise and not going, I would go in an inside cabin!

sent from my Samsung galaxy s3

Just wondering how bad four people (2 adult & 2 kids) in a standard cabin is on the Breakaway? Is it do-able for the amount of time in the cabin? Thanks!

The key to your question revolves around the concept of comfort.

Cabins on a ship are designed for two people. Many will hold three, four, five or even more. But the cabins are designed around the concept of double occupancy.

Try to look at it like the bench seat in a car. These are also designed for two people. However, you can squeeze a third adult in the middle...or even two small children. This can work for a trip to a local restaurant...however, it probably isn't going to be the best arrangement for a cross country trip!

So sure, you can put the four of you in one room...it just depends on your tolerance level. Some people don't mind three or four people in a cabin. Others feel crowded with just two people in the room!

Remember, if you figure out on day 1 that it is too crowded for your personal tastes, you are probably in for a loooooooong week!

We did 2 adults and 2 girls, 10 and 6 in a balcony. It was tight but very doable, we had plenty of space for "things". The balcony gave us just enough extra space to move around and not be crawling over each other.

If it meant another cruise or none, I would definately do it again.

Lynda

Yes, it's doable! In the old days and before we were comfortable getting a separate cabin for our girls ... we did 4 in the cabin but never in an inside for the 4 of us.

While it worked, we surely were happy when we were able to book two cabins ... especially for the extra bathroom. The first time we did two cabins (both were less than 13), we booked ours which could sleep four and basically used the other cabin (inside across the hall) for the extra bathroom and

hanging clothes. Same room steward ... no problem.

As "sparks" mentioned, the showers in the gym are a big help.

It's also wise to locate the closest public restrooms to your cabin. ;)

LuLu

~~~~

As "sparks" mentioned, the showers in the gym are a big help.

It's also wise to locate the closest public restrooms to your cabin. ;)

I would think that if you have to rely on the gym for showers and on public restrooms to relieve yourself that this would be a sign that you did not select an appropriate cabin for your needs.

In some cases people are reporting back that it is doable! Please bear in mind that the OP is asking about the Breakaway which, from what I heard, have smaller cabins than the other ships you may have sailed on.

I heard complaints from people around the ship that the interiors are VERY small, I cannot image 4 people occupying the same space.

Maybe someone who has sailing a standard cabin with 4 people including kids on the BREAKAWAY can give you better insight.

Edited by ibcnusoon

In some cases people are reporting back that it is doable! Please bear in mind that the OP is asking about the Breakaway which, from what I heard, have smaller cabins than the other ships you may have sailed on.

I heard complaints from people around the ship that the interiors are VERY small, I cannot image 4 people occupying the same space.

Maybe someone who has sailing a standard cabin with 4 people including kids on the BREAKAWAY can give you better insight.

I just looked and indeed most of the Breakaway cabins are 12 sqft smaller than those on the Sky. Still doable, especially if a second cabin means no cruise.