Breakfast Buffet and PJs/Bathrobes

kcwingwalker

Thank you...i always feel the same way when I see posts like this.

Do these people really feel that the people who don't wear a suit and tie on formal night, or abathrobe to the buffett actually and consciously set out to offend and disrespect people.

They are earing what they feel comfortable in, or they just figure I am going to grab a quick coffee and a plate why change ?

I really don't see these people walking out the cabin door saying "Man am I gonna piss off the old lady at table 27 when she sees these jeans "

When did everyone get so sensitive ?

Amen. Although I suppose there is a difference between being comfy and exposing yourself in public.

Wearing a bathrobe to breakfast with nothing underneath, while I don't think it is "rude" it's certainly inappropriate if fellow diners can catch a glimpse of what's underneath.......

Personally, my pjs are often just cotton shorts and a tank top....

I won't go out in public without a bra/underwear on, but I've been known to get up out of bed, put on a bra and underwear and go walk my dogs. I certainly hope my neighbors don't think I am rude for walking the dogs in my pjs.....

But it's comfy and that works for me....

People should just mind their own business.....

If you don't like it, don't do it!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Sailing 3/23/14 on the Norwegian Dawn

We have never gone to the buffet for breakfast, and after reading this thread, we are less inclined to venture there.

If folks prefer to walk out of their cabin in robe and/or pjs, it sounds like they are most familiar with dorm life, where such behavior might be common.

The lack of social awareness that perhaps others might not find this behavior acceptable is more symptomatic of other things going on today.

Lots of folks on planes take off their shoes...to us, a disgusting display, especially if the person has no socks on or foot odor. And then there are the ones who, shoeless, get up and use the airplane bathroom. Come on! Totally gross.

I once had a young woman stick her bare foot onto the armrest of my seat (she was seated behind me).

As for showing up at any public venue in bed clothes, unless it is a planned theme event, I think it shows a serious lack of self awareness and social skill, which seems to be the trend in today's world.

Now that we know that other guests do frequent the buffet in bed clothes, we are prepared for the fact. Do we judge it? You bet. But that is what people do. That too is the trend.

4. Well, if I'm being honest, anyone who would do #3 would likely not be someone I would want to know. Not saying that you aren't entitled to your thought processes, but if you look at someone and write them off as "trailer trash" because they aren't wearing nice clothes at 7 AM, well, that's just not me.

I agree with all your points, but this one most of all. I had problems with a "gentleman" on our last cruise who felt it his obligation to loudly voice his judgement on anyone around us. I imagine he felt we agreed because we never told him to shut the hell up. We really should have instead of just trying to politely change the subject. Subtlety was wasted on that one.

You want to judge? Fine, go ahead. Kindly keep it to yourself though. I promise you that you are just annoying the people who have to listen to you.

And we want to talk manners? Growing up, my mother would have washed our mouths out with soap for being so rude as to voice some of these opinions.

Although, I will say, while I might not actually comment, someone out in public wearing a robe so loosely closed that I could tell they are not wearing anything underneath would probably skeeve me out.

Edited by Cretia

The irony of this thread is that there are people who claim that they would not be judgemental of pajama wearing buffet visitors. However they have no problem judging those who do judge pajama wearing buffet visitors. Aren't we humans grand?

The irony of this thread is that there are people who claim that they would not be judgemental of pajama wearing buffet visitors. However they have no problem judging those who do judge pajama wearing buffet visitors. Aren't we humans grand?

* Like !

So true, and if it were so...why would we have DIFFERENCES of opinion at all. We could all do the same thing, wear the same thing, look the same, act the same....

omg we'd all be drones.................yuk!!! :eek:

So true, and if it were so...why would we have DIFFERENCES of opinion at all. We could all do the same thing, wear the same thing, look the same, act the same....

omg we'd all be drones.................yuk!!! :eek:

Wait wait wait! Can I choose who I want to look like? LOL

Harriet

While I would never go out on a ship in pajamas it would make for interesting people watching and good laughs.

However I always grab my morning paper with bed head and pjs. Usually shoeless too. Neighbors do the same and we all laugh at it!

My neighborhood is not low end either. We can all just laugh at ourselves though and like being comfortable

Hopefully NCL will not allow this to become a trend...if it does we will sail another line. Being relaxed is one thing....being unkempt is another

I will just say this: the one line I have seen the jammy and or robe thing the most is a slightly upscale line. It does fall into the mass marketed ones, but it is the most upscale of them. So don't think changing lines will make a lot of difference.

Personally, I would never think of wearing jammies to breakfast anywhere except in my own home and I can't imagine why anyone else would. but as long as they are covered up, if they don't mind getting stared at and comments made about their lack of dress ethics, it shouldn't bother us that much, nor will it make our meal taste any different.

Edited by newmexicoNita

I wake up at 5:45 and get dressed in a suit on a daily basis. I'm not going to get up at 6:30 on my vacation and put myself together before swinging by the buffet to grab breakfast to bring back to the cabin.

I sleep in solid-colored lounge pants (think jersey knit black/dark grey) and a t-shirt with a bra.

Flame away if my jersey knit cotton offends you.

I wake up at 5:45 and get dressed in a suit on a daily basis. I'm not going to get up at 6:30 on my vacation and put myself together before swinging by the buffet to grab breakfast to bring back to the cabin.

I sleep in solid-colored lounge pants (think jersey knit black/dark grey) and a t-shirt with a bra.

No flames and no offense. It just seems a little tacky to go out in public in clothing that was meant for private.:(

I'm just wondering if it's an age thing. I'm in my mid 50's and would never think to do such a thing.....

however, I think the younger generation would have no problem doing this. However, I might be wrong! LOL

So.....I'm wondering - those that would, could, or have done this can I ask what your age bracket is?

Under 30?

30 to 40?

40 to 50?

Over 50?

Harriet

I'm just wondering if it's an age thing. I'm in my mid 50's and would never think to do such a thing.....

however, I think the younger generation would have no problem doing this. However, I might be wrong! LOL

So.....I'm wondering - those that would, could, or have done this can I ask what your age bracket is?

Under 30?

30 to 40?

40 to 50?

Over 50?

Harriet

Over 50 - wouldn't do it and don't think it's proper

Harriet

Under 30?

30 to 40?

40 to 50?

Over 50?

Harriet

Under 30 - wouldn't do it and think it's classless.

I wear basically the same without the bra. The other guys laugh at me when I wear one !!

when we visited New Orleans in 2010, was the first time I'd ever come across anyone at breakfast in their pyjamas. It must also be a cultural thing because I've never seen it done in the UK

I must admit, I am disappointed by the people that walk around the buffet in a bath robe, I think it's an ingrained thing after one guys robe didn't quite stay closed - no thanks to that again

Under 30?

30 to 40?

40 to 50?

Over 50?

Harriet

The people I saw in robes and jammies were older in a few cased and maybe 40 plus in others. I don't think age has much to do with it. I think it is overall attitude about life in general and trying to understand what is acceptable. I don't think whether you are in a suite or inside cabin, whether you are rich or poor, none of this makes a difference. There are people who just really either don't care what others think or they don't realize how it appears...It is like the guy that is 60 plus, hairy, overweight and comes to dinner, on a Princess cruise in cargo shorts and flip flops. I was taken back, but no one said anything to him.

Maybe on my next cruises I will approach the bathrobe wearing one and ask:

"There is a large thread on cruise critic about wearing bathrobes to the buffet - can you tell me why you would do this in a public space?"

If I totally loose my mind and do such a thing, I will let you know the answer - I normally don't drink in the mornings in the buffet, but if I see this late in the evening, all bets are off:D

The jersey wearing, plaid wearing, T shirt crowd are fine with me:)

Oh for heaven's sake! Why are people who cruise (or who comment on Cruise Critic) so concerned about how others dress? As long as they're clean I couldn't care less what they wear, it's their business. Many 'pajama pants' are nicer than sweats anyway.

But I've got to say, I can't resist it when I see these posts! ;)

Me too :D. Wouldn't do it myself and I'm out and about at 4:30 (even on vacation), but well some folks don't have an issue. To each his own cruise ships are big enough to move elsewhere if you must. Heck I have folks from late 40's - 70's food shopping near me guess they cruise also :D.