Breakfast Buffet and PJs/Bathrobes

kcwingwalker

Just shows you that money doesn't buy class. Someone with class would make sure that they are covered up, whether they are in a robe, PJ's, etc., so that certain body parts are not being shown for the world to see. Or maybe she wanted the world to see ?????????

Someone with class would never enter a restaurant in a robe.

To those who say "it's "freestyle", so do what you want"........would you want shirtless men, topless women, or nudity in the restaurants? After all, they're going "feestyle".

Strawman argument. None of those are in alignment with the established dress code.

Strawman argument. None of those are in alignment with the established dress code.

But, according to the logic, presented by some around here, there is nothing specific in the "dress code" that prohibits shirtless men, topless women or nudity in general.

I have been following a thread on another board about people arriving at the buffet in the am in PJs and/or robes complete with bed head. The responses have been interesting and it's not just one cruise line where this is occurring. This is about adults, not young children.

So am I out of touch since I have not cruised in 14 months? Are people wandering around NCL ships looking like they've just rolled out of bed?

Perhaps I being old-fashioned but you'll have to be part of our close family circle before you'll see my PJ's.

I don't have a problem with someone going to the buffet in pjs / robes

The PJs being worn at various restaurants, etc. has been going on for several years. My DD came to dinner at home one evening in PJs while she was in high school. She was told that PJs at the table were for breakfast or if you were ill. She never did it again.

Having dinner as a family is important and behaving with respect and good manners at the dinner table is also important. If one of my children misbehaved at the table, it was dealt with immediately by simply saying "You've got cleanup" and it worked.

Perhaps all this sounds stuffy. But it's nice that my children are comfortable in social situations because good manners were expected at home and became a habit.

It's harmless when a group gets together and makes a Wal-Mart or Denny's run in their PJs. For those who feel it's OK to roll out of bed and go to breakfast on a cruise in their PJs it's their choice. My choice is to take a few extra minutes and get dressed.

JMO:)

I have noticed people in "sleep pants" with T-shirts and flip flops walking around the ship and at the buffet. Since they are more covered than at the pool this does not bother me. Now, bathrobes and fuzzy slippers..... tackey:D If I can't sleep I will at least throw on a pair of sweats and a sweater over my PJ top to find a quite place to read. But really no one looks twice at those plaid sleep pants anymore - not even on an airplane. The kids live in them now.

The other day on my way to work I stopped by an ATM, and a young girl jumped out of her car in sleep pants, T, and running shoes and used the machine. Now if this happens in the main dining room, sorry people, but I may have to say... well something...;)

Because when people dress and act like slobs from a trailer park on Tobacco Road they will get treated like they are slobs from a trailer park on Tobacco Road. Eventually, the crew will forget to treat people who know how to dress and act in public like they aren't from a trailer park on Tobacco Road.

That is the reason for maintaining a minimal sense of decorum.

Agree totally! It is a question of 'atmosphere' - if an area does not get its rubbish cleared it generates more rubbish and a slum appearance and attitude. The same premise holds if people walk around looking like tramps.

I must be blind. I'm sure people dress funny on the cruises I've been on but I never notice them. What I do notice is loud rude cruisers who are hard on the staff and who treat them like slaves rather than human beings making little money and working long hours.

This is such a funny post !!!! We have a restaraunt where I live and if you come in your pj's, they will give you breakfast free. I have seen people on cruises go to the buffet in lounge pants and all disheveled, but I really don't care. I wouldn't do it but thats just me. Just go have fun.

Edited by cashier

You should re-read my comment...I was commenting about ONE thing, i.e. wearing private clothes in public. I was not commenting about "every little thing". You sound like you like to blow things out of proportion and accuse people of saying things that they didn't say. Maybe you should stay out of the public eye until you are not so angry and can respond with comments that actually pertain to the actual post, instead of making it into something that it never was just because you want to be rude.

Proof that you are too sensitive....

1. Wearing pajamas doesn't necessarily mean "unkempt". At least not in my opinion. I wash my pajamas just as often as I wash the rest of my clothing. ..and my pajamas are cute (lol). Besides, "unkempt" to me is far worse than simply wearing a t-shirt and lounge pants to breakfast. Now, if we're talking a stained shirt, greasy hair, and body odor... then yeah, that's unkempt.

2. Not taking a shower in the morning also does not necessarily mean unkempt. I, personally, take a shower every morning because I just can't stand not to (plus, I have naturally curly hair so trust me when I say no one wants to see my crazy morning bed head XD)... but I know plenty of people who shower at night before bed... and even some people who shower every other day. None of these people smell, have bad hygiene, or appear unkempt. In fact, if they hadn't told me their habits, I would not have even known.

3. I try not to judge others. Seeing someone walking around in nothing but a robe might attract my attention for a moment, this is true, but to actually sit there and call them all kinds of names in my head and look down on them as though they're "trash"? Sorry, but I don't do that. You may not agree with what they are doing, but that doesn't make them any less of a person than you are (if they were a criminal, then sure, but come on, wearing lounge pants to a buffet?). I'm not saying you have to be buddies with them or even speak to them, but to watch them with a judging eye and label them as "trailer trash"?

4. Well, if I'm being honest, anyone who would do #3 would likely not be someone I would want to know. Not saying that you aren't entitled to your thought processes, but if you look at someone and write them off as "trailer trash" because they aren't wearing nice clothes at 7 AM, well, that's just not me.

Now, all this being said... I would never go to a dining room (or even the buffet) in my pajamas. I would, however, run up the hallway to grab a drink from the vending machine in my pajamas. Judge me all you want, but I see nothing wrong with that.

My cabin in January is going to be about three doors down from the studio lounge... so who knows, I might run to the lounge in my pajamas to grab a box of cereal one morning before getting ready for the day. I see nothing wrong with that either. lol

I am on the younger side of cruise critic, though... so maybe that makes a difference, who knows?

The lack of knowing right from wrong in todays society is never going to get better only worse. I have had people come to interview in pj's. Don't worry though I did my part for the world and let them know that they had no chance ever getting a job with anyone until they learned how to dress. Could be a big part of our high unemployment today. :sly: Now granted there is a big difference between a cruise and an interview but there's still respect for ones appearance. A 2x4 cant beat that into the head of people these days. People are even making money making fun of how shocking people look in wal-mart. Its not because it looks good people....

Sent from my ME173X using Forums mobile app

The lack of knowing right from wrong in todays society is never going to get better only worse. I have had people come to interview in pj's. Don't worry though I did my part for the world and let them know that they had no chance ever getting a job with anyone until they learned how to dress. Could be a big part of our high unemployment today. :sly: Now granted there is a big difference between a cruise and an interview but there's still respect for ones appearance. A 2x4 cant beat that into the head of people these days. People are even making money making fun of how shocking people look in wal-mart. Its not because it looks good people....

Sent from my ME173X using Forums mobile app

"Respect for one's appearance". Respect yourselves, people. I think that about sums it up, good post. Thanks!

I have to say with all of the NCL cruises I have been on, I have never noticed anyone in their pj's at the buffet or anywhere else for that matter. Maybe I just don't care or don't pay attention to it. :confused: I'm not sure. I know I wouldn't do it, but that's just me.

This does bring up the question for our next cruise though. We will be on the Jewel and they do have a pajama breakfast with Spongebob and Dora and we are supposed to wear our jammies. I'm wondering how "out of place" I'm going to feel walking down the hall in my pj's for this?

I can also say that when we sailed for the first time with Carnival back in May, there were TONS of people at night, out on the pool deck in their pj's and robes watching the movies. At first it kinda caught me off gaurd, but I got use to it after awhile. They would come as families and just watch the movies. :)

This does bring up the question for our next cruise though. We will be on the Jewel and they do have a pajama breakfast with Spongebob and Dora and we are supposed to wear our jammies. I'm wondering how "out of place" I'm going to feel walking down the hall in my pj's for this?

Something tells me that walking down the halls in PJs with a couple of kids heading to breakfast... You will look a lot different than some hung over bed-head shoveling breakfast at the buffet in their robe!

tumblr_ldzyedx5E41qzpn6vo1_500.jpg

Something tells me that walking down the halls in PJs with a couple of kids heading to breakfast... You will look a lot different than some hung over bed-head shoveling breakfast at the buffet in their robe!

tumblr_ldzyedx5E41qzpn6vo1_500.jpg

LOL, I just might put my hair in piggy tails for this occasion. :D

Snapshot_20121027_2_zps0d5658a3.jpg

1 piggy tail and 1 bed head. Appropriate for Spongebob and Dora???

Thank you...i always feel the same way when I see posts like this.

Do these people really feel that the people who don't wear a suit and tie on formal night, or abathrobe to the buffett actually and consciously set out to offend and disrespect people.

They are earing what they feel comfortable in, or they just figure I am going to grab a quick coffee and a plate why change ?

I really don't see these people walking out the cabin door saying "Man am I gonna piss off the old lady at table 27 when she sees these jeans "

When did everyone get so sensitive ?

Amen. Although I suppose there is a difference between being comfy and exposing yourself in public.

Wearing a bathrobe to breakfast with nothing underneath, while I don't think it is "rude" it's certainly inappropriate if fellow diners can catch a glimpse of what's underneath.......

Personally, my pjs are often just cotton shorts and a tank top....

I won't go out in public without a bra/underwear on, but I've been known to get up out of bed, put on a bra and underwear and go walk my dogs. I certainly hope my neighbors don't think I am rude for walking the dogs in my pjs.....

But it's comfy and that works for me....

People should just mind their own business.....

If you don't like it, don't do it!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Sailing 3/23/14 on the Norwegian Dawn